- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Chemical Engineering
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 450542, 6 pages
Evidence for PAH Removal Coupled to the First Steps of Anaerobic Digestion in Sewage Sludge
INRA, UR050, Laboratoire de Biotechnologie de l’Environnement, Avenue des Etangs, 11100 Narbonne, France
Received 7 September 2012; Revised 11 January 2013; Accepted 28 January 2013
Academic Editor: Claire Albasi
Copyright © 2013 Glenda Cea-Barcia et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. K. Samanta, O. V. Singh, and R. K. Jain, “Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons: environmental pollution and bioremediation,” Trends in Biotechnology, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 243–248, 2002.
- Y. Wada, T. Ozaki, and M. Muraoka, “Characteristics of Benzo (a) Pyrene in highway runoff pollution,” in Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Urban Drainage, Copenhagen, Denmark, August 2005.
- A. Welker, “Fate and behavior of selected organic substances in the urban drainage system,” in Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Urban Drainage, Copenhagen, Denmark, August 2005.
- E. Abad, K. Martínez, C. Planas, O. Palacios, J. Caixach, and J. Rivera, “Priority organic pollutant assessment of sludges for agricultural purposes,” Chemosphere, vol. 61, no. 9, pp. 1358–1369, 2005.
- M. Blanchard, M. J. Teil, D. Ollivon, L. Legenti, and M. Chevreuil, “Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons and polychlorobiphenyls in wastewaters and sewage sludges from the Paris area (France),” Environmental Research, vol. 95, no. 2, pp. 184–197, 2004.
- D. Bodzek and B. Janoszka, “Comparison of polycyclic aromatic compounds and heavy metals contents in sewage sludges from industrialized and non-industrialized region,” Water, Air, and Soil Pollution, vol. 111, no. 1–4, pp. 359–369, 1999.
- M. Barret, G. C. Barcia, A. Guillon, H. Carrère, and D. Patureau, “Influence of feed characteristics on the removal of micropollutants during the anaerobic digestion of contaminated sludge,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 181, no. 1–3, pp. 241–247, 2010.
- G. L. Northcott and K. C. Jones, “Partitioning, extractability, and formation of nonextractable PAH residues in soil. 1. Compound differences in aging and sequestration,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 35, no. 6, pp. 1103–1110, 2001.
- K. T. Semple, A. W. J. Morriss, and G. I. Paton, “Bioavailability of hydrophobic organic contaminants in soils: fundamental concepts and techniques for analysis,” European Journal of Soil Science, vol. 54, no. 4, pp. 809–818, 2003.
- X. Y. Lu, T. Zhang, and H. H. P. Fang, “Bacteria-mediated PAH degradation in soil and sediment,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 89, no. 5, pp. 1357–1371, 2011.
- S. Y. Yuan, S. H. Wei, and B. V. Chang, “Biodegradation of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons by a mixed culture,” Chemosphere, vol. 41, no. 9, pp. 1463–1468, 2000.
- B. K. Ahring, “Biomethanation I,” in Advances in Biochemical Engineering/Biotechnology, T. Scheper, Ed., p. 220, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 2003.
- D. J. Batstone, J. Keller, I. Angelidaki et al., “The IWA anaerobic digestion model no. 1 (ADM1),” Water Science and Technology, vol. 45, no. 10, pp. 65–73, 2002.
- A. Bernal-Martinez, D. Patureau, J. P. Delgenès, and H. Carrère, “Removal of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAH) during anaerobic digestion with recirculation of ozonated digested sludge,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 162, no. 2-3, pp. 1145–1150, 2009.
- B. V. Chang, S. W. Chang, and S. Y. Yuan, “Anaerobic degradation of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in sludge,” Advances in Environmental Research, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 623–628, 2003.
- D. Dionisi, L. Bertin, L. Bornoroni, S. Capodicasa, M. P. Papini, and F. Fava, “Removal of organic xenobiotics in activated sludges under aerobic conditions and anaerobic digestion of the adsorbed species,” Journal of Chemical Technology and Biotechnology, vol. 81, no. 9, pp. 1496–1505, 2006.
- E. Trably, D. Patureau, and J. P. Delgenes, “Enhancement of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons removal during anaerobic treatment of urban sludge,” Water Science and Technology, vol. 48, no. 4, pp. 53–60, 2003.
- W. Chang, Y. Um, and T. R. P. Holoman, “Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon (PAH) degradation coupled to methanogenesis,” Biotechnology Letters, vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 425–430, 2006.
- D. M. Jones, I. M. Head, N. D. Gray et al., “Crude-oil biodegradation via methanogenesis in subsurface petroleum reservoirs,” Nature, vol. 451, no. 7175, pp. 176–180, 2008.
- J. Dolfing, A. Xu, N. D. Gray, S. R. Larter, and I. M. Head, “The thermodynamic landscape of methanogenic PAH degradation,” Microbial Biotechnology, vol. 2, no. 5, pp. 566–574, 2009.
- Y. Zhong, T. Luan, X. Wang, C. Lan, and N. F. Y. Tam, “Influence of growth medium on cometabolic degradation of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons by Sphingomonas sp. strain PheB4,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 75, no. 1, pp. 175–186, 2007.
- E. Trably, N. Delgènes, D. Patureau, and J. P. Delgènes, “Statistical tools for the optimization of a highly reproducible method for the analysis of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in sludge samples,” International Journal of Environmental Analytical Chemistry, vol. 84, no. 13, pp. 995–1008, 2004.
- D. Puyol, V. M. Monsalvo, N. Garcia-Mancha, A. F. Mohedano, and J. J. Rodriguez, “Anaerobic biological treatment of wastewaters from used oil recovery,” in Proceedings of the 5th European Bioremediation Conference, p. 189, Crete, Greece, 2011.
- A. Mottet, J. P. Steyer, S. Déléris, F. Vedrenne, J. Chauzy, and H. Carrère, “Kinetics of thermophilic batch anaerobic digestion of thermal hydrolysed waste activated sludge,” Biochemical Engineering Journal, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 169–175, 2009.
- S. M. Bamforth and I. Singleton, “Bioremediation of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons: current knowledge and future directions,” Journal of Chemical Technology and Biotechnology, vol. 80, no. 7, pp. 723–736, 2005.
- M. Barret, H. Carrère, E. Latrille, C. Wisniewski, and D. Patureau, “Micropollutant and sludge characterization for modeling sorption equilibria,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 1100–1106, 2010.