- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Chemical Engineering
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 937675, 7 pages
The Application of Response Surface Methodology for Lead Ion Removal from Aqueous Solution Using Intercalated Tartrate-Mg-Al Layered Double Hydroxides
1INTEC Education College, Universiti Teknologi MARA, 40450 Shah Alam, Malaysia
2Faculty of Applied Sciences, Universiti Teknologi MARA, 40450 Shah Alam, Malaysia
Received 19 October 2012; Revised 15 January 2013; Accepted 19 January 2013
Academic Editor: Deepak Kunzru
Copyright © 2013 Yamin Yasin et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. P. Chen and S. Wu, “Acid/base-treated activated carbons: characterization of functional groups and metal adsorptive properties,” Langmuir, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 2233–2242, 2004.
- V. K. Gupta, A. Rastogi, V. K. Saini, and N. Jain, “Biosorption of copper(II) from aqueous solutions by Spirogyra species,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 296, no. 1, pp. 59–63, 2006.
- J. U. K. Oubagaranadin and Z. V. P. Murthy, “Isotherm modeling and batch adsorber design for the adsorption of Cu(II) on a clay containing montmorillonite,” Applied Clay Science, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 409–413, 2010.
- M. Hua, S. Zhang, B. Pan, W. Zhang, L. Lv, and Q. Zhang, “Heavy metal removal from water/wastewater by nanosized metal oxides,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 211, pp. 317–331, 2012.
- T. Kameda, H. Takeuchi, and T. Yoshioka, “Uptake of heavy metal ions from aqueous solution using Mg–Al layered double hydroxides intercalated with citrate, malate, and tartrate,” Separation and Purification Technology, vol. 62, no. 2, pp. 330–336, 2008.
- A. Sdiri, T. Higashi, T. Hatta, F. Jamoussi, and N. Tase, “Evaluating the adsorptive capacity of montmorillonitic and calcareous clays on the removal of several heavy metals in aqueous systems,” Chemical Engineering Journal, vol. 172, no. 1, pp. 37–46, 2011.
- Yasin, A. H. Abdul Malik, S. M. Sumari, and F. B. H. Ahmad, “Removal of amido black dye from aqueous solution by uncalcined and calcined hydrotalcite,” Research Journal of Chemistry and Environment, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 78–84, 2010.
- Y. Yasin, A. H. Abdul Malik, and S. M. Sumari, “Adsorption of eriochrome black dye from aqueous solution onto anionic layered double hydroxides,” Oriental Journal of Chemistry, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 1293–1298, 2010.
- T. Kameda, S. Saito, and Y. Umetsu, “Mg-Al layered double hydroxide intercalated with ethylene-diaminetetraacetate anion: synthesis and application to the uptake of heavy metal ions from an aqueous solution,” Separation and Purification Technology, vol. 47, no. 1-2, pp. 20–26, 2005.
- D. Zhao, G. Sheng, J. Hu, C. Chen, and X. Wang, “The adsorption of Pb(II) on Mg2Al layered double hydroxide,” Chemical Engineering Journal, vol. 171, no. 1, pp. 167–174, 2011.
- J. Cheng, X. Wang, C. Ma, and Z. Hao, “Novel Co-Mg-Al-Ti-O catalyst derived from hydrotalcite-like compound for NO storage/decomposition,” Journal of Environmental Science, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 488–493, 2012.
- K. Ravikumar, S. Krishnan, S. Ramalingam, and K. Balu, “Optimization of process variables by the application of response surface methodology for dye removal using a novel adsorbent,” Dyes and Pigments, vol. 72, no. 1, pp. 66–74, 2007.
- R. H. Myers and D. C. Montgomery, Response Surface Methodology, John Wiley and Sons, 2nd edition, 2001.
- Q. Liu and Y. Liu, “Distribution of Pb(II) species in aqueous solutions,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 268, no. 1, pp. 266–269, 2003.
- F. Cavani and F. Trifirò, “Hydrotalcite-type anionic clays: preparation, properties and applications,” Catalysis Today, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 173–301, 1991.
- M. Bellotto, B. Rebours, O. Clause, J. Lynch, D. Bazin, and E. Elkaïm, “A reexamination of hydrotalcite crystal chemistry,” Journal of Physical Chemistry, vol. 100, no. 20, pp. 8527–8534, 1996.
- K. Chibwe and W. Jones, “Intercalation of organic and inorganic anions into layered double hydroxides,” Journal of the Chemical Society, Chemical Communications, no. 14, pp. 926–927, 1989.
- K. Ravikumar, K. Pakshirajan, T. Swaminathan, and K. Balu, “Optimization of batch process parameters using response surface methodology for dye removal by a novel adsorbent,” Chemical Engineering Journal, vol. 105, no. 3, pp. 131–138, 2005.
- Y. Yasin, A. H. Abdul Malek, and F. H. Ahmad, “Response surface methodology study on removal of humic acid from aqueous solutions using anionic clay hydrotalcite,” Journal of Applied Sciences, vol. 10, no. 19, pp. 2297–2303, 2010.
- Y. Yus Azila, M. D. Mashitah, and S. Bhatia, “Process optimization studies of lead (Pb(II)) biosorption onto immobilized cells of Pycnoporus sanguineus using response surface methodology,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 99, no. 18, pp. 8549–8552, 2008.
- S. H. Hasan, P. Srivastava, and M. Talat, “Biosorption of Pb(II) from water using biomass of Aeromonas hydrophila: central composite design for optimization of process variables,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 168, no. 2-3, pp. 1155–1162, 2009.
- Y. Zheng and A. Wang, “Removal of heavy metals using polyvinyl alcohol semi-IPN poly(acrylic acid)/tourmaline composite optimized with response surface methodology,” Chemical Engineering Journal, vol. 162, no. 1, pp. 186–193, 2010.