- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Chemical Engineering
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 273523, 10 pages
Optimization of Process Parameters by Statistical Experimental Designs for the Production of Naringinase Enzyme by Marine Fungi
1Biochemistry Department, National Research Centre, Cairo, Egypt
2Chemistry of Natural and Microbial Products Department, National Research Centre, Cairo, Egypt
Received 19 September 2013; Revised 10 December 2013; Accepted 10 December 2013; Published 4 February 2014
Academic Editor: Donald L. Feke
Copyright © 2014 Abeer Nasr Shehata and Abeer Abas Abd El Aty. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. H. L. Ribeiro, “Naringinases: occurrence, characteristics, and applications,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 90, no. 6, pp. 1883–1895, 2011.
- M. Ono, T. Tosa, and I. Chibata, “Preparation and properties of immobilized naringinase using tannin aminohexyl cellulose,” Agricultural and Biological Chemistry, vol. 43, pp. 1847–1851, 1978.
- D. W. Thomas, C. V. Smythe, and M. D. Labbee, “Enzymatic hydrolysis of naringin, the bitter principle of grapefruit,” Food Research, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 591–598, 1958.
- M. H. L. Ribeiro, C. Afonso, H. J. Vila-Real, A. J. Alfaia, and L. Ferreira, “Contribution of response surface methodology to the modeling of naringin hydrolysis by naringinase Ca-alginate beads under high pressure,” LWT—Food Science and Technology, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 482–487, 2010.
- H. Vila-Real, A. J. Alfaia, M. E. Rosa, A. R. Calado, and M. H. L. Ribeiro, “An innovative sol-gel naringinase bioencapsulation process for glycosides hydrolysis,” Process Biochemistry, vol. 45, no. 6, pp. 841–850, 2010.
- S. Kamiya, S. Esaki, and R. Tanaka, “Synthesis of some disaccharides containing an L-rhamnopyranosyl or L-mannopyranosyl residue, and the substrate specificity of αL-rhamnosidase from Aspergillus niger,” Agricultural and Biological Chemistry, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 55–62, 1985.
- S. Bok, T. Jeong, and K. H. Bae, “Narigin and naringenin as inhibitors of acyl coA-cholesterol-o-acyltransferase,” US Patent 6(165):984, 2000.
- Y. Chisti, “Solid substrate fermentations, enzyme production, food enrichment,” in Encyclopedia of Bioprocess Technology: Fermentation, Biocatalysis, and Bioseparation, M. C. Flickinger and S. W. Drew, Eds., vol. 5, pp. 2446–2462, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1999.
- A. Pandey, P. Selvakumar, C. R. Soccol, and P. Nigam, “Solid state fermentation for the production of industrial enzymes,” Current Science, vol. 77, no. 1, pp. 149–162, 1999.
- L. P. Ooijkaas, F. J. Weber, R. M. Buitelaar, J. Tramper, and A. Rinzema, “Defined media and inert supports: their potential as solid-state fermentation production systems,” Trends in Biotechnology, vol. 18, no. 8, pp. 356–360, 2000.
- M. Stredansky, E. Conti, L. Navarini, and C. Bertocchi, “Production of bacterial exopolysaccharides by solid substrate fermentation,” Process Biochemistry, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 11–16, 1999.
- C. Liu, Y. Liu, W. Liao, Z. Wen, and S. Chen, “Application of statistically-based experimental designs for the optimization of nisin production from whey,” Biotechnology Letters, vol. 25, no. 11, pp. 877–882, 2003.
- Y. R. Abdel-Fattah, H. M. Saeed, Y. M. Gohar, and M. A. El-Baz, “Improved production of Pseudomonas aeruginosa uricase by optimization of process parameters through statistical experimental designs,” Process Biochemistry, vol. 40, no. 5, pp. 1707–1714, 2005.
- R. K. Roy, Design of Experiments Using the Taguchi Approach, Wiley-Interscience, New York, NY, USA, 2001.
- D. V. Deshmukh and P. R. Puranik, “Application of plackett-burman design to evaluate media components affecting antibacterial activity of Alkaliphilic Cyanobacteria isolated from lonar lake,” Turkish Journal of Biochemistry, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 114–120, 2010.
- R. S. Rao, C. G. Kumar, R. S. Prakasham, and P. J. Hobbs, “The Taguchi methodology as a statistical tool for biotechnological applications: a critical appraisal,” Biotechnology Journal, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 510–523, 2008.
- U. Höller, G. M. König, and A. D. Wright, “A new tyrosine kinase inhibitor from a marine isolate of Ulocladium botrytis and new metabolites from the marine fungi Asteromyces cruciatus and Varicosporina ramulosa,” European Journal of Organic Chemistry, no. 11, pp. 2949–2955, 1999.
- A. Mendoza-Cal, L. Cuevas-Glory, G. Lizama-Uc, and E. Ortiz-Vázquez, “Naringinase production from filamentous fungi using grapefruit rind in solid state fermentation,” African Journal of Microbiology Research, vol. 4, no. 19, pp. 1964–1969, 2010.
- G. L. Miller, “Use of dinitrosalicylic acid reagent for determination of reducing sugar,” Analytical Chemistry, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 426–428, 1959.
- R. L. Plackett and J. P. Burman, “The design of optimum multifactorial experiments,” Biometrica, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 305–325, 1946.
- R. Strobel and G. Sullivan, “Experimental design for improvement of fermentations,” in Manual of Industrial Microbiology and Biotechnology, A. L. Demain and J. E. Davies, Eds., pp. 80–93, ASM Press, Washington, DC, USA, 1999.
- D. P. Haaland, Experimental Design in Biotechnology, Marcel Dekker, New York, NY, USA, 1989.
- F. Michon, V. Pozsgay, J. Brisson, and H. J. Jennings, “Substrate specificity of naringinase, an α-l-rhamnosidase from Penicillium decumbens,” Carbohydrate Research, vol. 194, pp. 321–324, 1989.
- D. Cowan, “Industrial enzymes in biotechnology,” in The Science and the Business, V. Moses and R. Cape, Eds., pp. 311–340, Horwood Academic Publishers, London, UK, 1991.
- H. Tsen and G. Yu, “Limonin and naringin removal from grapefruit juice with naringinase entrapped in cellulose triacetate fibers,” Journal of Food Science, vol. 56, no. 1, pp. 31–34, 1991.
- S. Elinbaum, H. Ferreyra, G. Ellenrieder, and C. Cuevas, “Production of Aspergillus terreusβ-L-rhamnosidase by solid state fermentation,” Letters in Applied Microbiology, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 67–71, 2002.
- M. Puri, A. Banerjee, and U. C. Banerjee, “Optimization of process parameters for the production of naringinase by Aspergillus niger MTCC 1344,” Process Biochemistry, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 195–201, 2005.
- C. Raghukumar and S. Raghukumar, “Barotolerance of fungi isolated from deep-sea sediments of the Indian Ocean,” Aquatic Microbial Ecology, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 153–163, 1998.
- A. Pandey, “Recent process developments in solid-state fermentation,” Process Biochemistry, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 109–117, 1992.
- B. Han, J. L. Kiers, and R. M. J. Nout, “Solid-substrate fermentation of soybeans with Rhizopus spp.: comparison of discontinuous rotation with stationary bed fermentation,” Journal of Bioscience and Bioengineering, vol. 88, no. 2, pp. 205–209, 1999.
- A. P. Goes and J. D. Sheppard, “Effect of surfactants on α-amylase production in a solid substrate fermentation process,” Journal of Chemical Technology and Biotechnology, vol. 74, no. 7, pp. 709–712, 1999.
- D. Chen, T. Niu, and H. Cai, “Optimizing culture medium for debittering constitutive enzyme naringinase production by Aspergillus oryzae JMU316,” African Journal of Biotechnology, vol. 9, no. 31, pp. 4970–4978, 2010.
- K. Thammawat, P. Pongtanya, V. Juntharasri, and P. Wongvithoonyaporn, “Isolation, preliminary enzyme characterization and optimization of culture parameters for production of naringinase isolated from Aspergillus niger BCC 25166,” Kasetsart Journal (Natural Science), vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 61–72, 2008.
- G. Dey, A. Mitra, R. Banerjee, and B. R. Maiti, “Enhanced production of amylase by optimization of nutritional constituents using response surface methodology,” Biochemical Engineering Journal, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 227–231, 2001.
- F. Francis, A. Sabu, K. M. Nampoothiri, G. Szakacs, and A. Pandey, “Synthesis of α-amylase by Aspergillus oryzaein solid-state fermentation,” Journal of Basic Microbiology, vol. 42, no. 5, pp. 320–326, 2002.
- S. K. Ahuja, G. M. Ferreira, and A. R. Moreira, “Application of Plackett-Burman design and response surface methodology to achieve exponential growth for aggregated shipworm bacterium,” Biotechnology and Bioengineering, vol. 85, no. 6, pp. 666–675, 2004.
- A. Kunamneni, K. S. Kumar, and S. Singh, “Response surface methodological approach to optimize the nutritional parameters for enhanced production of α-amylase in solid state fermentation by Thermomyces lanuginosus,” African Journal of Biotechnology, vol. 4, no. 7, pp. 708–716, 2005.
- A. E. Ghaly, M. Kamal, and L. R. Correia, “Kinetic modelling of continuous submerged fermentation of cheese whey for single cell protein production,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 96, no. 10, pp. 1143–1152, 2005.
- K. M. Heravi, F. Eftekhar, B. Yakhchali, and F. Tabandeh, “Isolation and identification of a lipase producing Bacillus sp. from soil,” Pakistan Journal of Biological Sciences, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 740–745, 2008.