- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Chemical Engineering
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 402756, 7 pages
CFD Simulation for Separation of Carbon Dioxide-Methane Mixture by Pressure Swing Adsorption
School of Mechanical and Building Sciences, VIT University, Vellore, Tamil Nadu 632014, India
Received 13 January 2014; Revised 28 May 2014; Accepted 29 May 2014; Published 19 June 2014
Academic Editor: Donald L. Feke
Copyright © 2014 K. Rambabu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. E. Treybal, Mass-Transfer Operations, vol. 3, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, USA, 1980.
- C. M. Yon and J. D. Sherman, Adsorption, Gas Separation, Kirk-Othmer Encyclopedia of Chemical Technology, 2004.
- D. Aaron and C. Tsouris, “Separation of CO2 from flue gas: a review,” Separation Science and Technology, vol. 40, no. 1–3, pp. 321–348, 2005.
- F. I. Khan and A. K. Ghoshal, “Removal of Volatile Organic Compounds from polluted air,” Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 527–545, 2000.
- M. A. Kalbassi, R. J. Allam, and T. C. Golden, “Temperature swing adsorption,” U.S. Patent no. 5,846,295, U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, Washington, DC, USA, 1998.
- C. W. Skarstrom, “Method and apparatus for fractionating,” U.S. Patent no. 2,944,627, U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, Washington, DC, USA, 1970.
- A. Kapoor and R. T. Yang, “Kinetic separation of methane—carbon dioxide mixture by adsorption on molecular sieve carbon,” Chemical Engineering Science, vol. 44, no. 8, pp. 1723–1733, 1989.
- A. M. Mendes, C. A. Costa, and A. E. Rodrigues, “Oxygen separation from air by PSA: modelling and experimental results: part I,” Separation and Purification Technology, vol. 24, no. 1-2, pp. 173–188, 2001.
- S. Farooq, D. M. Ruthven, and H. A. Boniface, “Numerical simulation of a pressure swing adsorption oxygen unit,” Chemical Engineering Science, vol. 44, no. 12, pp. 2809–2816, 1989.
- J. C. Kayser and K. S. Knaebel, “Pressure swing adsorption: development of an equilibrium theory for binary gas mixtures with nonlinear isotherms,” Chemical Engineering Science, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 1–8, 1989.
- S. Sridhar, B. Smitha, and T. M. Aminabhavi, “Separation of carbon dioxide from natural gas mixtures through polymeric membranes—a review,” Separation & Purification Reviews, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 113–174, 2007.
- H. S. Pierre, Simulation of dynamic pressure-swing gas sorption in polymers [Ph.D Dissertation], 2005.
- S. Li, J. G. Martinek, J. L. Falconer, R. D. Noble, and T. Q. Gardner, “High-pressure CO2/CH4 separation using SAPO-34 membranes,” Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, vol. 44, no. 9, pp. 3220–3228, 2005.
- H. Hachisuka, T. Ohara, and K. Ikeda, “New type asymmetric membranes having almost defect free hyper-thin skin layer and sponge-like porous matrix,” Journal of Membrane Science, vol. 116, no. 2, pp. 265–272, 1996.
- M. R. Coleman and W. J. Koros, “Isometric polyimides based on fluorinated dianhydrides and diamines for gas separation applications,” Journal of Membrane Science, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 285–297, 1990.
- M. K. Ghosh and K. L. Mittal, Polyimides: Fundamentals and Applications, vol. 36, CRC Press, New York, NY, USA, 1996.
- T. H. Kim, W. J. Koros, and G. R. Husk, “Temperature effects on gas permselection properties in hexafluoro aromatic polyimides,” Journal of Membrane Science, vol. 46, no. 1, pp. 43–56, 1989.
- B. Xing and J. J. Pignatello, “Dual-mode sorption of low-polarity compounds in glassy poly (vinyl chloride) and soil organic matter,” Environmental Science & Technology, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 792–799, 1997.
- R. M. Barrer, “Diffusivities in glassy polymers for the dual mode sorption model,” Journal of Membrane Science, vol. 18, pp. 25–35, 1984.
- E. Glueckauf, “The influence of ionic hydration on activity coefficients in concentrated electrolyte solutions,” Transactions of the Faraday Society, vol. 51, pp. 1235–1244, 1955.
- T. Hirose, Y. Mi, S. A. Stern, and A. K. S. Clair, “The solubility of carbon dioxide and methane in polyimides at elevated pressures,” Journal of Polymer Science B: Polymer Physics, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 341–347, 1991.