- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Chemical Engineering
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 803783, 5 pages
Continuous Catalyst-Free Esterification of Oleic Acid in Compressed Ethanol
1Program of Post-Graduation in Bioenergy, West Paraná State University, Faculdade Street 645, Jardim La Salle, 85903-000 Toledo, PR, Brazil
2Department of Food Engineering, College of Animal Science and Food Engineering, University of São Paulo, R. Duque de Caxias Norte 225, 13635-900 Pirassununga, SP, Brazil
3Department of Technology, Maringá State University, Avenue Dr. Ângelo Moreira da Fonseca 1800, 87506-370 Umuarama, PR, Brazil
4Department of Chemical Engineering, Maringa State University, Avenue Colombo 5790, 87020-900 Maringa, PR, Brazil
Received 5 October 2013; Revised 30 October 2013; Accepted 6 November 2013; Published 19 January 2014
Academic Editor: Dmitry Murzin
Copyright © 2014 Ana Carolina de Araujo Abdala et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. C. Meher, D. Vidya Sagar, and S. N. Naik, “Technical aspects of biodiesel production by transesterification—a review,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 248–268, 2006.
- A. P. Vyas, J. L. Verma, and N. Subrahmanyam, “A review on FAME production processes,” Fuel, vol. 89, no. 1, pp. 1–9, 2010.
- M. Berrios, M. A. Martín, A. F. Chica, and A. Martín, “Study of esterification and transesterification in biodiesel production from used frying oils in a closed system,” Chemical Engineering Journal, vol. 160, no. 2, pp. 473–479, 2010.
- K. Srilatha, T. Issariyakul, N. Lingaiah, P. S. Sai Prasad, J. Kozinski, and A. K. Dalai, “Efficient esterification and transesterification of used cooking oil using 12-tungstophosphoric acid (TPA)/Nb2O5 catalyst,” Energy and Fuels, vol. 24, no. 9, pp. 4748–4755, 2010.
- L. T. Thanh, K. Okitsu, Y. Sadanaga, N. Takenaka, Y. Maeda, and H. Bandow, “A two-step continuous ultrasound assisted production of biodiesel fuel from waste cooking oils: a practical and economical approach to produce high quality biodiesel fuel,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 101, no. 14, pp. 5394–5401, 2010.
- L. L. L. Rocha, A. L. D. Ramos, N. R. A. Filho, N. C. Furtado, C. A. Taft, and D. A. G. Aranda, “Production of biodiesel by a two-step niobium oxide catalyzed hydrolysis and esterification,” Letters in Organic Chemistry, vol. 7, pp. 571–578, 2010.
- J. S. de Sousa, E. D. Cavalcanti-Oliveira, D. M. G. Freire, and D. A. G. Aranda, “Application of lipase from the physic nut (Jatropha curcas L.) to a new hybrid (enzyme/chemical) hydroesterification process for biodiesel production,” Journal of Molecular Catalysis B, vol. 65, no. 1–4, pp. 133–137, 2010.
- D. T. Raspe, L. Cardozo-Filho, and C. Silva, “Effect of additives and process variables on enzymatic hydrolysis of macauba kernel oil (Acrocomia aculeata),” International Journal of Chemical Engineering, vol. 2013, Article ID 438270, 8 pages, 2013.
- D. Kusdiana and S. Saka, “Two-step preparation for catalyst-free biodiesel fuel production: hydrolysis and methyl esterification,” Applied biochemistry and biotechnology, vol. 113-116, pp. 781–791, 2004.
- E. Minami and S. Saka, “Kinetics of hydrolysis and methyl esterification for biodiesel production in two-step supercritical methanol process,” Fuel, vol. 85, no. 17-18, pp. 2479–2483, 2006.
- D. Kusdiana and S. Saka, “Biodiesel fuel from rapeseed oil as prepared in supercritical methanol,” Fuel, vol. 80, no. 2, pp. 225–231, 2001.
- C. Da Silva, F. De Castilhos, J. V. Oliveira, and L. C. Filho, “Continuous production of soybean biodiesel with compressed ethanol in a microtube reactor,” Fuel Processing Technology, vol. 91, no. 10, pp. 1274–1281, 2010.
- D. Yujaroen, M. Goto, M. Sasaki, and A. Shotipruk, “Esterification of palm fatty acid distillate (PFAD) in supercritical methanol: effect of hydrolysis on reaction reactivity,” Fuel, vol. 88, no. 10, pp. 2011–2016, 2009.
- R. Alenezi, G. A. Leeke, J. M. Winterbottom, R. C. D. Santos, and A. R. Khan, “Esterification kinetics of free fatty acids with supercritical methanol for biodiesel production,” Energy Conversion and Management, vol. 51, no. 5, pp. 1055–1059, 2010.
- C.-H. Chen, W.-H. Chen, C.-M. J. Chang, S.-M. Lai, and C.-H. Tu, “Biodiesel production from supercritical carbon dioxide extracted Jatropha oil using subcritical hydrolysis and supercritical methylation,” Journal of Supercritical Fluids, vol. 52, no. 2, pp. 228–234, 2010.
- J. Ding, B. He, and J. Li, “Biodiesel production from acidified oils via supercritical methanol,” Energies, vol. 4, no. 12, pp. 2212–2223, 2011.
- K. White, N. Lorenz, T. Potts et al., “Production of biodiesel fuel from tall oil fatty acids via high temperature methanol reaction,” Fuel, vol. 90, no. 11, pp. 3193–3199, 2011.
- H. J. Cho, S. H. Kim, S. W. Hong, and Y.-K. Yeo, “A single step non-catalytic esterification of palm fatty acid distillate (PFAD) for biodiesel production,” Fuel, vol. 93, pp. 373–380, 2012.
- T. Pinnarat and P. E. Savage, “Noncatalytic esterification of oleic acid in ethanol,” Journal of Supercritical Fluids, vol. 53, no. 1–3, pp. 53–59, 2010.
- Z. Ilham and S. Saka, “Two-step supercritical dimethyl carbonate method for biodiesel production from Jatropha curcas oil,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 101, no. 8, pp. 2735–2740, 2010.
- I. Vieitez, C. D. Silva, I. Alckmin et al., “Effect of temperature on the continuous synthesis of soybean esters under supercritical ethanol,” Energy and Fuels, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 558–563, 2009.
- Y. Tsai, H. Lim, and M. Lee, “Biodiesel production with continuous supercritical process: non-catalytic transesterification and esterification with or without carbon dioxide,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 143, pp. 362–369, 2013.
- A. Robles-Medina, P. A. González-Moreno, L. Esteban-Cerdán, and E. Molina-Grima, “Biocatalysis: towards ever greener biodiesel production,” Biotechnology Advances, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 398–408, 2009.
- G. Doná, L. Cardozo-Filho, C. Silva, and F. Castilhos, “Biodiesel production using supercritical methyl acetate in a tubular packed bed reactor,” Fuel Processing Technology, vol. 106, pp. 605–610, 2013.
- R. E. Walker, Official Methods and Recommended Practices of the American Oil Chemists' Society (Method AOCS Ce 2-66), American Oil Chemists' Society, Champaign, Ill, USA, 4th edition, 1990.
- C. Silva, T. A. S. Colonelli, E. A. Silva, V. F. Cabral, J. V. Oliveira, and L. Cardozo-Filho, “Continuous catalyst-free production of esters from Jatropha curcasL. oil under supercritical ethanol,” Brazilian Journal of Chemical Engineering. In press.
- C. M. Trentin, A. P. Lima, I. P. Alkimim et al., “Continuous production of soybean biodiesel with compressed ethanol in a microtube reactor using carbon dioxide as co-solvent,” Fuel Processing Technology, vol. 92, no. 5, pp. 952–958, 2011.
- S. B. Andrade, Produção contínua de ésteres etílicos a partir do óleo de soja utilizando etanol supercrítico em leito estruturado [M.S. thesis], Universidade Estadual de Maringá, Maringa, Brazil, 2012.
- W. B. Schulte, Biodiesel production from tall oil and chicken fat via supercritical methanol treatment [M.S. thesis], University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, Ark, USA, 2007.