- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Chemical Engineering
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 842147, 7 pages
Preparation and Characterization of Jute Cellulose Crystals-Reinforced Poly(L-lactic acid) Biocomposite for Biomedical Applications
1Department of Applied Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, University of Dhaka, Dhaka 1000, Bangladesh
2PP and PDC, Bangladesh Council for Scientific and Industrial Research, Dhaka 1205, Bangladesh
Received 25 August 2013; Revised 23 November 2013; Accepted 29 November 2013; Published 16 February 2014
Academic Editor: Donald L. Feke
Copyright © 2014 Mohammed Mizanur Rahman et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Mohanty, M. Misra, and G. Hinrichsen, “Biofibres, biodegradable polymers and biocomposites: an overview,” Macromolecular Materials and Engineering, vol. 276, pp. 1–24, 2000.
- A. K. Mohanty, M. Misra, and L. T. Drzal, “Sustainable Bio-Composites from renewable resources: opportunities and challenges in the green materials world,” Journal of Polymers and the Environment, vol. 10, no. 1-2, pp. 19–26, 2002.
- E. L. Chaikof, H. Matthew, J. Kohn, A. G. Mikos, G. D. Prestwich, and C. M. Yip, “Biomaterials and scaffolds in reparative medicine,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 961, pp. 96–105, 2002.
- W. Hamad, Cellulosic Materials: Fibers, Networks, and Composites, Springer, 2002.
- I. Siró and D. Plackett, “Microfibrillated cellulose and new nanocomposite materials: a review,” Cellulose, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 459–494, 2010.
- M. A. S. Azizi Samir, F. Alloin, and A. Dufresne, “Review of recent research into cellulosic whiskers, their properties and their application in nanocomposite field,” Biomacromolecules, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 612–626, 2005.
- S. S. Ray, K. Yamada, M. Okamoto, and K. Ueda, “Polylactide-layered silicate nanocomposite: a novel biodegradable material,” Nano Letters, vol. 2, no. 10, pp. 1093–1096, 2002.
- D. Garlotta, “A literature review of poly(lactic acid),” Journal of Polymers and the Environment, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 63–84, 2001.
- A. Södergård and M. Stolt, “Properties of lactic acid based polymers and their correlation with composition,” Progress in Polymer Science, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 1123–1163, 2002.
- C. Bastioli, “Global status of the production of biobased packaging materials,” Starch—Stärke, vol. 53, pp. 351–355, 2001.
- K. Oksman, M. Skrifvars, and J.-F. Selin, “Natural fibres as reinforcement in polylactic acid (PLA) composites,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 63, no. 9, pp. 1317–1324, 2003.
- A. P. Mathew, K. Oksman, and M. Sain, “The effect of morphology and chemical characteristics of cellulose reinforcements on the crystallinity of polylactic acid,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 101, no. 1, pp. 300–310, 2006.
- M. S. Huda, A. K. Mohanty, L. T. Drzal, E. Schut, and M. Misra, “‘Green’ composites from recycled cellulose and poly(lactic acid): physico-mechanical and morphological properties evaluation,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 40, no. 16, pp. 4221–4229, 2005.
- J. L. Mclaughlin, L. L. Rogers, and J. E. Anderson, “The use of biological assays to evaluate botanicals,” Drug Information Journal, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 513–524, 1998.
- X. M. Dong, J.-F. Revol, and D. G. Gray, “Effect of microcrystallite preparation conditions on the formation of colloid crystals of cellulose,” Cellulose, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 19–32, 1998.
- J. Gassan and A. K. Bledzki, “Alkali treatment of jute fibers: relationship between structure and mechanical properties,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 71, no. 4, pp. 623–629, 1999.
- D. Bondeson, A. Mathew, and K. Oksman, “Optimization of the isolation of nanocrystals from microcrystalline cellulose by acid hydrolysis,” Cellulose, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 171–180, 2006.
- S. Elazzouzi-Hafraoui, Y. Nishiyama, J.-L. Putaux, L. Heux, F. Dubreuil, and C. Rochas, “The shape and size distribution of crystalline nanoparticles prepared by acid hydrolysis of native cellulose,” Biomacromolecules, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 57–65, 2008.
- R. Auras, B. Harte, and S. Selke, “An overview of polylactides as packaging materials,” Macromolecular Bioscience, vol. 4, no. 9, pp. 835–864, 2004.
- A. J. Nijenhuis, E. Colstee, D. W. Grijpma, and A. J. Pennings, “High molecular weight poly(L-lactide) and poly(ethylene oxide) blends: thermal characterization and physical properties,” Polymer, vol. 37, no. 26, pp. 5849–5857, 1996.