- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Chemical Engineering
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 986719, 10 pages
Product Characterization and Kinetics of Biomass Pyrolysis in a Three-Zone Free-Fall Reactor
School of Chemical Engineering, Institute of Engineering, Suranaree University of Technology, Nakhon Ratchasima 30000, Thailand
Received 19 September 2013; Revised 24 November 2013; Accepted 28 November 2013; Published 4 February 2014
Academic Editor: Deepak Kunzru
Copyright © 2014 Natthaya Punsuwan and Chaiyot Tangsathitkulchai. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. McKendry, “Energy production from biomass (part 2): conversion technologies,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 83, no. 1, pp. 47–54, 2002.
- A. K. Jain, S. K. Sharma, and D. Singh, Reaction Kinetics of Paddy Husk Thermal Decomposition, Energy Research Center Panjab University, Panjab, India, 1996.
- C. Acıkgoz, O. Onay, and O. M. Kockar, “Fast pyrolysis of linseed: product yields and compositions,” Journal of Analytical and Applied Pyrolysis, vol. 71, no. 2, pp. 417–429, 2004.
- W. T. Tsai, M. K. Lee, and Y. M. Chang, “Fast pyrolysis of rice husk: product yields and compositions,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 98, no. 1, pp. 22–28, 2007.
- Natural Resources Management and Environment Department, “Integrated Energy System in China—The Cold Northeastern Region Experience,” http://www.fao.org/docrep/T4470E/T4470E00.htm.
- J. Lehto, “Determination of kinetic parameters for Finnish milled peat using drop tube reactor and optical measurement techniques,” Fuel, vol. 86, no. 12-13, pp. 1656–1663, 2007.
- M. J. Safi, I. M. Mishra, and B. Prasad, “Global degradation kinetics of pine needles in air,” Thermochimica Acta, vol. 412, no. 1-2, pp. 155–162, 2004.
- N. Nugranad, Pyrolysis of biomass [Ph.D. thesis], University of Leeds Department of Fuel and Enegy, 1997.
- P. Luangkiattikhun, C. Tangsathitkulchai, and M. Tangsathitkulchai, “Non-isothermal thermogravimetric analysis of oil-palm solid wastes,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 99, no. 5, pp. 986–997, 2008.
- S. Hu, A. Jess, and M. Xu, “Kinetic study of Chinese biomass slow pyrolysis: comparison of different kinetic models,” Fuel, vol. 86, no. 17-18, pp. 2778–2788, 2007.
- E. G. Baker and D. C. Elliott, “Catalytic hydrotreating of biomass—derived oil,” in Pyrolysis Oils From Viomass, American Chemical Society, 1988.
- Q. Wu, J. Dai, Y. Shiraiwa, G. Sheng, and J. Fu, “A renewable energy source—hydrocarbon gases resulting from pyrolysis of the marine nanoplanktonic alga Emiliania huxleyi,” Journal of Applied Phycology, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 137–142, 1999.
- M. Hutagalung, “Understanding coal analysis,” Majari Magazine, 2008, http://majarimagazine.com/2008/06/understanding-coal-sample-analysis/.
- A. Demirbas, “Combustion characteristics of different biomass fuels,” Progress in Energy and Combustion Science, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 219–230, 2004.
- B. R. Miller, “Structure of Wood,” http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/document/fplgtr/fplgtr113/ch02.pdf.
- M. V. Dagaonkar, A. A. C. M. Beenackers, and V. G. Pangarkar, “Enhancement of gas-liquid mass transfer by small reactive particles at realistically high mass transfer coefficients: absorption of sulfur dioxide into aqueous slurries of Ca(OH)2 and Mg(OH)2 particles,” Chemical Engineering Journal, vol. 81, no. 1–3, pp. 203–212, 2001.
- M. J. Prins, K. J. Ptasinski, and F. J. J. G. Janssen, “Torrefaction of wood. Part 1. Weight loss kinetics,” Journal of Analytical and Applied Pyrolysis, vol. 77, no. 1, pp. 28–34, 2006.
- J. B. Wooten, J. I. Seeman, and M. R. Hajaligol, “Observation and characterization of cellulose pyrolysis intermediates by 13C CPMAS NMR. A new mechanistic model,” Energy and Fuels, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 1–15, 2004.
- D. Mohan, C. U. Pittman Jr., and P. H. Steele, “Pyrolysis of wood/biomass for bio-oil: a critical review,” Energy and Fuels, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 848–889, 2006.
- L. Wei, S. Xu, L. Zhang et al., “Characteristics of fast pyrolysis of biomass in a free fall reactor,” Fuel Processing Technology, vol. 87, no. 10, pp. 863–871, 2006.
- O. Onay and O. M. Koçkar, “Pyrolysis of rapeseed in a free fall reactor for production of bio-oil,” Fuel, vol. 85, no. 12-13, pp. 1921–1928, 2006.
- A. H. Patrick and T. Williams, “Influence of temperature on the products from the flash pyrolysis of biomass,” Fuel, vol. 75, no. 9, pp. 1051–1059, 1996.
- B. B. Uzun, A. E. Pütün, and E. Pütün, “Fast pyrolysis of soybean cake: product yields and compositions,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 97, pp. 569–576, 2006.
- E. Jorjani, J. C. Hower, S. Chehreh Chelgani, M. A. Shirazi, and S. Mesroghli, “Studies of relationship between petrography and elemental analysis with grindability for Kentucky coals,” Fuel, vol. 87, no. 6, pp. 707–713, 2008.
- F. Abnisa, W. M. A. Wan Daud, W. N. W. Husin, and J. Sahu, “Utilization possibilities of palm shell as a source of biomass energy in Malaysia by producing bio-oil in pyrolysis process,” Biomass and Bioenergy, vol. 35, no. 5, pp. 1863–1872, 2011.
- E. Hu, Y. Xu, X. Hu, L. Pan, and S. Jiang, “Corrosion behaviors of metals in biodiesel from rapeseed oil and methanol,” Renewable Energy, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 371–378, 2012.
- S. Czernik, Environment Health and Safety in Fast Pyrolysis of Biomass, vol. 1, CPL Press, Newbury, UK, 1999.
- H. E. Saleh, “The preparation and shock tube investigation of comparative ignition delays using blends of diesel fuel with bio-diesel of cottonseed oil,” Fuel, vol. 90, no. 1, pp. 421–429, 2011.
- C. D. Blasi, G. Signorelli, C. D. Russo, and G. Rea, “Product distribution from pyrolysis of wood and agricultural residues,” Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, vol. 38, no. 6, pp. 2216–2224, 1999.