- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Computer Games Technology
Volume 2008 (2008), Article ID 753584, 7 pages
Real-Time Optimally Adapting Meshes: Terrain Visualization in Games
Department of Computing and Mathematics, Manchester Metropolitan University, All Saints, Manchester M15 6BH, UK
Received 27 September 2007; Accepted 21 December 2007
Academic Editor: Kok Wai Wong
Copyright © 2008 Matthew White. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. Lindstrom, D. Koller, W. Ribarsky, L. F. Hodges, N. Faust, and G. Turner, “Real-time, continuous level of detail rendering of height fields,” in Proceedings of the 23rd Annual Conference on Computer Graphics and Interactive Techniques (SIGGRAPH '96), pp. 109–118, New Orleans, La, USA, August 1996.
- M. Duchaineau, M. Wolinsky, D. Sigeti, M. Miller, C. Alrich, and M. Mineev-Weinstein, “ROAMing terrain: real-time optimally adapting meshes,” Tech. Rep. UCRL-JC-127870, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Livermore, Calif, USA, July 1997.
- G. Snook, Real-Time 3D Terrain Engines Using C++ and DirectX 9, Charles River Media, Hingham, Mass, USA, 2003.
- G. Snook, “Simplified terrain using interlocking tiles,” in Games Programming Gems 2, pp. 377–383, Charles River Media, Hingham, Mass, USA, 2001.
- T. Ulrich, “Chunked LOD,” http://www.tulrich.com/geekstuff/chunklod.html.
- Longbow digital arts, Treadmarks, http://www.ldagames.com/treadmarks/.
- S. McNally, “Treadmarks Engine (Binary Trees and Terrain Tessellation),” http://www.ldagames.com/.
- M. White, “Adapting ROAM for use within a games application,” in Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Games Research and Development (CyberGames '07), pp. 59–66, Manchester, UK, September 2007.
- B. Turner, “Real-Time Dynamic Level of Detail Terrain Rendering with ROAM,” http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20000403/turner_01.htm.
- M. Duchaineau, ROAM Algorithm Version 2.0, http://www.cognigraph.com/ROAM_homepage/ROAM2/.