- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Dentistry
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 326401, 8 pages
Approximal Caries Detection by DIFOTI: In Vitro Comparison of Diagnostic Accuracy/Efficacy with Film and Digital Radiography
1Division of Cariology, Department of Dental Medicine, Karolinska Institutet, Huddinge, Sweden
2Faculty of Odontology, University of Iceland, Reykjavík, Iceland
3The Swedish Council on Technology Assessment in Health Care, Stockholm, Sweden
Received 29 August 2012; Accepted 12 October 2012
Academic Editor: Yasuhiro Morimoto
Copyright © 2012 Á. Ástvaldsdóttir et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. D. B. Featherstone, “The continuum of dental caries—evidence for a dynamic disease process,” Journal of Dental Research, vol. 83, pp. C39–C42, 2004.
- A. Hugoson, G. Koch, C. Göthberg et al., “Oral health of individuals aged 3-80 years in Jönköping, Sweden during 30 years (1973–2003)—II—review of clinical and radiographic findings,” Swedish Dental Journal, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 139–155, 2005.
- T. M. Marthaler, “Changes in dental caries 1953–2003,” Caries Research, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 173–181, 2004.
- R. H. Selwitz, A. I. Ismail, and N. B. Pitts, “Dental caries,” Lancet, vol. 369, no. 9555, pp. 51–59, 2007.
- N. B. Pitts, “Are we ready to move from operative to non-operative/preventive treatment of dental caries in clinical practice?” Caries Research, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 294–304, 2004.
- J. D. Bader, D. A. Shugars, and A. J. Bonito, “A systematic review of the performance of methods for identifying carious lesions,” Journal of Public Health Dentistry, vol. 62, no. 4, pp. 201–213, 2002.
- A. Wenzel, “Bitewing and digital bitewing radiography for detection of caries lesions,” Journal of Dental Research, vol. 83, pp. C72–C75, 2004.
- I. Espelid, I. Mejàre, and K. Weerheijm, “EAPD guidelines for use of radiographs in children,” European Journal of Paediatric Dentistry, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 40–48, 2003.
- I. Mejàre, “Bitewing examination to detect caries in children and adolescents—when and how often?” Dental Update, vol. 32, no. 10, pp. 588–597, 2005.
- A. Schneiderman, M. Elbaum, T. Shultz, S. Keem, M. Greenebaum, and J. Driller, “Assessment of dental caries with Digital Imaging Fiber-Optic TransIllumination (DIFOTI): in vitro study,” Caries Research, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 103–110, 1997.
- D. A. Young and J. D. B. Featherstone, “Digital imaging fiber-optic trans-illumination, F-speed radiographic film and depth of approximal lesions,” Journal of the American Dental Association, vol. 136, no. 12, pp. 1682–1687, 2005.
- M. Bin-Shuwaish, P. Yaman, J. Dennison, and G. Neiva, “The correlation of DIFOTI to clinical and radiographic images in class II carious lesions,” Journal of the American Dental Association, vol. 139, no. 10, pp. 1373–1381, 2008.
- J. R. Landis and G. G. Koch, “The measurement of observer agreement for categorical data,” Biometrics, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 159–174, 1977.
- I. Espelid, Radiographic diagnosis and treatment decisions on approximal caries [thesis], University of Bergen, Bergen, Norway, 1987.
- W. C. Souza-Zaroni, J. C. Ciccone, A. E. Souza-Gabriel, R. P. Ramos, S. A. M. Corona, and R. G. Palma-Dibb, “Validity and reproducibility of different combinations of methods for occlusal caries detection: an in vitro comparison,” Caries Research, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 194–201, 2006.
- P. A. Mileman and W. B. Van Den Hout, “Comparing the accuracy of Dutch dentists and dental students in the radiographic diagnosis of dentinal caries,” Dentomaxillofacial Radiology, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 7–14, 2002.
- H. E. Fyffe, C. Deery, Z. J. Nugent, N. M. Nuttall, and N. B. Pitts, “Effect of diagnostic threshold on the validity and reliability of epidemiological caries diagnosis using the Dundee Selectable Threshold Method for caries diagnosis (DSTM),” Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 42–51, 2000.
- D. G. Fryback and J. R. Thornbury, “The efficacy of diagnostic imaging,” Medical Decision Making, vol. 11, pp. 88–94, 1991.
- S. C. White and D. C. Yoon, “Comparative performance of digital and conventional images for detecting proximal surface caries,” Dentomaxillofacial Radiology, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 32–38, 1997.