- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Dentistry
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 701608, 7 pages
Dental Pain in Children with Intellectual Disabilities: Caregivers’ Perspective
Faculty of Dentistry, King Abdulaziz University, P.O. Box 80209, Jeddah 21589, Saudi Arabia
Received 14 April 2012; Revised 23 June 2012; Accepted 25 June 2012
Academic Editor: Manuel Lagravere
Copyright © 2012 Sumer M. Alaki and Niveen S. Bakry. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. Merskey, “Classification of chronic pain: description of chronic pain syndromes and definitions of pain terms,” Pain Supplement, vol. 3, pp. S1–S8, 1986.
- H. Merskey and N. Bogduk, Classification of Chronic Pain: Description of Chronic Pain Syndromes and Definitions of Pain Terms, IASP Press, Seattle, Wash, USA, 2nd edition, 1994.
- N. McIntosh, “Pain in the newborn, a possible new starting point,” European Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 156, no. 3, pp. 173–177, 1997.
- N. T. Meinhart and M. McCaffery, Pain: A Nursing Approach to Assessment and Analysis, Appleton & Lang, Norwalk, Conn, USA, 1983.
- L. S. Franck, C. S. Greenberg, and B. Stevens, “Pain assessment in infants and children,” Pediatric Clinics of North America, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 487–512, 2000.
- F. Galton, Inquiries into Human Faculty and Its Development, J.M. Dent & Son, London, UK, 2nd edition, 1907.
- S. Malviya, T. Voepel-Lewis, A. R. Tait et al., “Pain management in children with and without cognitive impairment following spine fusion surgery,” Paediatric Anaesthesia, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 453–458, 2001.
- “American psychiatric Association,” http://www.psych.org.
- R. Luckasson, D. L. Coulter, E. A. Polloway, et al., Eds., Mental Retardation: Definition, Classification, and Systems of Supports, American Association on Mental Retardation, Washington, DC, USA, 1992.
- L. M. Breau, C. S. Camfield, P. J. McGrath, and G. A. Finley, “The incidence of pain in Children with severe cognitive impairments,” Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, vol. 157, no. 12, pp. 1219–1226, 2003.
- P. Stallard, L. Williams, S. Lenton, and R. Velleman, “Pain in cognitively impaired, non-communicating children,” Archives of Disease in Childhood, vol. 85, no. 6, pp. 460–462, 2001.
- K. L. Hadden and C. L. Von Baeyer, “Pain in children with cerebral palsy: common triggers and expressive behaviors,” Pain, vol. 99, no. 1-2, pp. 281–288, 2002.
- D. Fanurik, J. L. Koh, M. L. Schmitz, R. D. Harrison, and T. M. Conrad, “Children with cognitive impairment: parent report of pain and coping,” Journal of Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 228–234, 1999.
- L. M. Breau, J. MacLaren, P. J. McGrath, C. S. Camfield, and G. A. Finley, “Caregivers' beliefs regarding pain in children with cognitive impairment: relation between pain sensation and reaction increases with severity of impairment,” Clinical Journal of Pain, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 335–344, 2003.
- M. Desai, L. B. Messer, and H. Calache, “A study of the dental treatment needs of children with disabilities in Melbourne, Australia,” Australian Dental Journal, vol. 46, no. 1, pp. 41–50, 2001.
- J. E. Pope and M. E. Curzon, “The dental status of cerebral palsied children,” Pediatric Dentistry, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 156–162, 1991.
- A. Ackerman and W. A. Wiltshire, “The occlusal status of disabled children,” The Journal of the Dental Association of South Africa, vol. 49, pp. 447–451, 1994.
- M. Hennequin, D. Faulks, and D. Roux, “Accuracy of estimation of dental treatment need in special care patients,” Journal of Dentistry, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 131–136, 2000.
- J. Versloot, J. S. J. Veerkamp, and J. Hoogstraten, “Dental Discomfort Questionnaire: Assessment of dental discomfort and/or pain in very young children,” Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 47–52, 2006.
- J. Scott and E. C. Huskisson, “Graphic representation of pain,” Pain, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 175–184, 1976.
- World Health Organization, Oral Health Survey: Basic Methods, WHO, Geneva, Switzerland, 4th edition, 1997.
- P. J. McGrath, “Behavioral measures of pain,” in Measurement of Pain in Infants and Children, G. A. Finley and P. J. McGrath, Eds., pp. 83–102, IASP Press, Seattle, Wash, USA, 1998.
- M. Hennequin, D. Faulks, and P. J. Allison, “Parents' ability to perceive pain experienced by their child with down syndrome,” Journal of Orofacial Pain, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 347–353, 2003.
- P. L. Owens, B. D. Kerker, E. Zigler, and S. M. Horwitz, “Vision and oral health needs of individuals with intellectual disability,” Mental Retardation and Developmental Disabilities Research Reviews, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 28–40, 2006.
- S. Gizani, D. Declerck, F. Vinckier, L. Martens, L. Marks, and G. Goffin, “Oral health condition of 12-year-old handicapped children in Flanders (Belgium),” Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 352–357, 1997.
- J. Versloot, “The Dental Discomfort Questionnaire: its use with mentally disabled children,” in Pain in Pediatric Dentistry, J. Versloot, Ed., Academic Thesis University of Amsterdam, 2007.