- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Dentistry
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 498906, 7 pages
Chapter Oral Health Advocates: A Nationwide Model for Pediatrician Peer Education and Advocacy about Oral Health
1Division of General Pediatrics, University of Washington and Craniofacial Center, Seattle Children’s Hospital, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
2Division of Pediatric Practice, American Academy of Pediatrics, Elk Grove Village, IL 60007, USA
3Schools of Medicine and Dentistry, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
4Department of Pediatrics, Dartmouth Medical School and New Hampshire Dartmouth Family Medicine Residency Program, Concord, NH 03301, USA
5Schools of Dentistry, Medicine, and Public Health, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Received 22 April 2013; Revised 31 July 2013; Accepted 29 August 2013
Academic Editor: Robert Schroth
Copyright © 2013 Charlotte W. Lewis et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- DHHS, Oral Health in America: A Report of the Surgeon General, US Department of Health and Human Services, National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, National Institutes of Health, Rockville, Md, USA, 2000.
- S. L. Tomar and A. F. Reeves, “Changes in the oral health of US children and adolescents and dental public health infrastructure since the release of the healthy people 2010 objectives,” Academic Pediatrics, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 388–395, 2009.
- R. G. Smith and C. W. Lewis, “Availability of dental appointments for young children in king county, Washington: implications for access to care,” Pediatric Dentistry, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 207–211, 2005.
- R. G. Rozier, S. C. Stearns, B. T. Pahel, R. B. Quinonez, and J. Park, “How a North Carolina program boosted preventive oral health services for low-income children,” Health Affairs, vol. 29, no. 12, pp. 2278–2285, 2010.
- R. G. Rozier, B. K. Sutton, J. W. Bawden, K. Haupt, G. D. Slade, and R. S. King, “Prevention of early childhood caries in North Carolina medical practices: implications for research and practice,” Journal of Dental Education, vol. 67, no. 8, pp. 876–885, 2003.
- C. W. Lewis, S. Boulter, M. A. Keels et al., “Oral health and pediatricians: results of a national survey,” Academic Pediatrics, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 457–461, 2009.
- C. W. Lewis, D. C. Grossman, P. K. Domoto, and R. A. Deyo, “The role of the pediatrician in the oral health of children: a national survey,” Pediatrics, vol. 106, no. 6, article E84, 2000.
- L. Forsetlund, A. Bjørndal, A. Rashidian et al., “Continuing education meetings and workshops: effects on professional practice and health care outcomes,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, no. 2, Article ID CD003030, 2009.
- Reach Out and Read, 2013, http://www.reachoutandread.org/.
- B. T. Pahel, R. G. Rozier, S. C. Stearns, and R. B. Quiñonez, “Effectiveness of preventive dental treatments by physicians for young medicaid enrollees,” Pediatrics, vol. 127, no. 3, pp. e682–e689, 2011.
- C. Lewis, H. Lynch, and L. Richardson, “Fluoride varnish use in primary care: what do providers think?” Pediatrics, vol. 115, no. 1, pp. e69–e76, 2005.
- D. Riter, R. Maier, and D. C. Grossman, “GrantWatch report: delivering preventive oral health services in pediatric primary care: a case study,” Health Affairs, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 1728–1732, 2008.
- A. B. Douglass, W. Gonsalves, R. Maier et al., “Smiles for life: a national oral health curriculum for family medicine. A model for curriculum development by STFM groups,” Family Medicine, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 88–90, 2007.
- ABCD, “Access to Baby and Child Dentistry,” 2013, http://abcd-dental.org/.