- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Dentistry
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 629675, 5 pages
Relationship between Untreated Dental Caries and Weight and Height of 6- to 12-Year-Old Primary School Children in Bangladesh
1Dhaka Dental College Hospital, Dhaka 1209, Bangladesh
2University College London, Research Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, London WC1E 6BT, UK
3Bangladesh Institute of Research and Rehabilitation in Diabetes, Endocrine and Metabolic Disorders (BIRDEM), Dhaka 1000, Bangladesh
4Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine, Ashland, VA 23298-0565, USA
5Oregon Health & Science University, School of Dentistry, 611 SW Campus Drive, Portland, OR 97239-3097, USA
Received 6 November 2012; Revised 12 March 2013; Accepted 20 March 2013
Academic Editor: Stefano Fedele
Copyright © 2013 Masuma Pervin Mishu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- B. L. Edelstein, “The dental caries pandemic and disparities problem,” BMC Oral Health, vol. 6, supplement 1, article S2, 2006.
- P. E. Petersen, D. Bourgeois, H. Ogawa, S. Estupinan-Day, and C. Ndiaye, “The global burden of oral diseases and risks to oral health,” Bulletin of the World Health Organization, vol. 83, no. 9, pp. 661–669, 2005.
- A. Sheiham and R. G. Watt, “The common risk factor approach: a rational basis for promoting oral health,” Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology, vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 399–406, 2000.
- G. Acs, G. Lodolini, S. Kaminsky, and G. J. Cisneros, “Effect of nursing caries on body weight in a pediatric population,” Pediatric Dentistry, vol. 14, no. 5, article 303, 1992.
- H. Ayhan, E. Suskan, and S. Yildirim, “The effect of nursing or rampant caries on height, body weight and head circumference,” Journal of Clinical Pediatric Dentistry, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 209–212, 1996.
- H. Benzian, B. Monse, R. Heinrich-Weltzien, M. Hobdell, J. Mulder, and W. van Palenstein Helderman, “Untreated severe dental decay: a neglected determinant of low body mass index in 12-year-old Filipino children,” BMC Public Health, vol. 2011, supplement 558, 2011.
- G. Acs, G. Lodolini, R. Shulman, and S. Chussid, “The effect of dental rehabilitation on the body weight of children with failure to thrive: case reports,” Compendium of Continuing Education in Dentistry, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 164–171, 1998.
- G. Acs, R. Shulman, M. W. Ng, and S. Chussid, “The effect of dental rehabilitation on the body weight of children with early childhood caries,” Pediatric Dentistry, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 109–113, 1999.
- A. Sheiham, “Dental caries affects body weight, growth and quality of life in pre-school children,” British Dental Journal, vol. 201, no. 10, pp. 625–626, 2006.
- R. Uauy, J. Kain, V. Mericq, J. Rojas, and C. Corvalán, “Nutrition, child growth, and chronic disease prevention,” Annals of Medicine, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 11–20, 2008.
- Z. A. Bhutta, “Effect of infections and environmental factors on growth and nutritional status in developing countries,” Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. S13–S21, 2006.
- N. Ratnayake and L. Ekanayake, “Prevalence and impact of oral pain in 8-year-old children in sri lanka,” International Journal of Paediatric Dentistry, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 105–112, 2005.
- H. K. Anderson, B. K. Drummond, and W. M. Thomson, “Changes in aspects of children's oral-health-related quality of life following dental treatment under general anaesthesia,” International Journal of Paediatric Dentistry, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 317–325, 2004.
- W. Low, S. Tan, and S. Schwartz, “The effect of severe caries on the quality of life in young children,” Pediatric Dentistry, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 325–326, 1999.
- L. B. Oliveira, A. Sheiham, and M. Bönecker, “Exploring the association of dental caries with social factors and nutritional status in Brazilian preschool children,” European Journal of Oral Sciences, vol. 116, no. 1, pp. 37–43, 2008.
- J. O. Alvarez, J. Caceda, T. W. Woolley et al., “A longitudinal study of dental caries in the primary teeth of children who suffered from infant malnutrition,” Journal of Dental Research, vol. 72, no. 12, pp. 1573–1576, 1993.
- I. Johansson, M. Lenander-Lumikari, and A. K. Saellström, “Saliva composition in Indian children with chronic protein-energy malnutrition,” Journal of Dental Research, vol. 73, no. 1, pp. 11–19, 1994.
- E. A. Sweeney, A. J. Saffir, and R. De Leon, “Linear hypoplasia of deciduous incisor teeth in malnourished children,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 29–31, 1971.
- J. O. Alvarez, C. A. Lewis, C. Saman et al., “Chronic malnutrition, dental caries, and tooth exfoliation in Peruvian children aged 3–9 years,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 368–372, 1988.
- U. Kanchanakamol, S. Tuongratanaphan, S. Tuongratanaphan et al., “Prevalence of developmental enamel defects and dental caries in rural pre-school Thai children,” Community Dental Health, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 204–207, 1996.
- P. Cleaton-Jones, B. D. Richardson, L. Granath et al., “Nutritional status and dental caries in a large sample of 4- and 5-year-old South African children,” South African Medical Journal, vol. 90, no. 6, pp. 631–635, 2000.
- J. O. Alvarez, J. C. Eguren, J. Caceda, and J. M. Navia, “The effect of nutritional status on the age distribution of dental caries in the primary teeth,” Journal of Dental Research, vol. 69, no. 9, pp. 1564–1566, 1990.
- UNICEF, Child Malnutrition and Household Food Insecurity Remain Major Concerns For Bangladesh, 2009.
- WHO, Country Oral Health Profiles, World health Organization, 2001.
- I. Johansson, A. K. Saellström, B. P. Rajan, and A. Parameswaran, “Salivary flow and dental caries in Indian children suffering from chronic malnutrition,” Caries Research, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 38–43, 1992.
- World Health Organization, Oral Health Surveys: Basic Methods, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland, 1997.
- T. G. Lohman, A. F. Roche, and R. Martorell, Anthropometric Standardization Reference Manual, vol. 55, Human Kinetics Books, Champaign, Ill, USA, 1988.
- WHO, “Physical status: the use and interpretation of anthropometry. report of a WHO expert committee,” Technical Report series 854, 1995.
- M. C. M. van Gemert-Schriks, E. W. van Amerongen, I. H. A. Aartman, J. M. B. Wennink, J. M. ten Cate, and J. J. de Soet, “The influence of dental caries on body growth in prepubertal children,” Clinical Oral Investigations, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 141–149, 2011.
- A. Lamerz, J. Kuepper-Nybelen, C. Wehle et al., “Social class, parental education, and obesity prevalence in a study of six-year-old children in Germany,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 373–380, 2005.
- D. Locker, “Deprivation and oral health: a review,” Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 161–169, 2000.
- W. P. T. James, M. Nelson, A. Ralph, and S. Leather, “Socioeconomic determinants of health: the contribution of nutrition to inequalities in health,” British Medical Journal, vol. 314, no. 7093, pp. 1545–1549, 1997.
- M. H. Hobdell, E. R. Oliveira, R. Bautista et al., “Oral diseases and socio-economic status (SES),” British Dental Journal, vol. 194, no. 2, pp. 91–96, 2003.
- R. E. Black, L. H. Allen, Z. A. Bhutta et al., “Maternal and child undernutrition: global and regional exposures and health consequences,” The Lancet, vol. 371, no. 9608, pp. 243–260, 2008.
- BBS, Preliminary Report, Population Census 2001, 2001.