- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Dentistry
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 854765, 5 pages
Antibacterial Effect of Juglans Regia Bark against Oral Pathologic Bacteria
1Department of Operative and Esthetic Dentistry, School of Dentistry, Ahvaz Jundishapour University of Medical Sciences, Ahvaz 613571-5775, Iran
2Department of Periodontology, School of Dentistry, Ahvaz Jundishapour University of Medical Sciences, Ahvaz 613571-5775, Iran
3Ahvaz Dental School Research Center, Ahvaz 613571-5775, Iran
4Department of Microbiology, School of Medicine, Ahvaz Jundishapur University of Medical Sciences, Ahvaz 61355-45, Iran
5Department of Pharmacognosy Clinical, Kerman School of Pharmacy, Kerman 76135-1614, Iran
Received 2 April 2013; Revised 21 May 2013; Accepted 22 May 2013
Academic Editor: Figen Seymen
Copyright © 2013 Faramarz Zakavi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- F. Şahin, I. Karaman, M. Güllüce et al., “Evaluation of antimicrobial activities of Satureja hortensis L.,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 87, no. 1, pp. 61–65, 2003.
- J. O. García-Cortés, C. E. Medina-Solís, J. P. Loyola-Rodriguez, et al., “Dental caries' experience, prevalence and severity in Mexican adolescents and young adults,” Revista de Salud Pública, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 82–91, 2009.
- M. L. Barnett, “The role of therapeutic antimicrobial mouthrinses in clinical practice: control of supragingival plaque and gingivitis,” Journal of the American Dental Association, vol. 134, no. 6, pp. 699–741, 2003.
- R. R. Deshpande, A. A. Kale, A. D. Ruikar et al., “Antimicrobial activity of different extracts of Juglans regia L. against oral Microflora,” International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 200–201, 2011.
- E. Smith, E. Williamson, M. Zloh, and S. Gibbons, “Isopimaric acid from Pinus nigra shows activity against multidrug-resistant and EMRSA strains of Staphylococcus aureus,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 538–542, 2005.
- J. A. Pereira, I. Oliveira, A. Sousa et al., “Walnut (Juglans regia L.) leaves: phenolic compounds, antibacterial activity and antioxidant potential of different cultivars,” Food and Chemical Toxicology, vol. 45, no. 11, pp. 2287–2295, 2007.
- F. Stampar, A. Solar, M. Hudina, R. Veberic, and M. Colaric, “Traditional walnut liqueur—cocktail of phenolics,” Food Chemistry, vol. 95, no. 4, pp. 627–631, 2006.
- A. M. Alkhawajah, “Studies on the antimicrobial activity of Juglans regia,” American Journal of Chinese Medicine, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 175–180, 1997.
- K. Bhatia, S. Rahman, M. Ali, and S. Raisuddin, “In vitro antioxidant activity of Juglans regia L. bark extract and its protective effect on cyclophosphamide-induced urotoxicity in mice,” Redox Report, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 273–279, 2006.
- “Bhunimba (Andrographis paniculata),” in Data Base on Medicinal Plants Used in Ayurveda, P. C. Sharma, M. B. Yelne, and T. J. Dennis, Eds., vol. 4, pp. 34–60, Central Council for Research in Ayurveda and Siddha, New Delhi, India, 2002.
- S. G. Joshi, Medicinal Plants, Oxford & IBH Publishing, New Delhi, India, 2007.
- J. Isanga and G. N. Zhang, “Biological active components and nutraceuticals in peanuts and related products: review,” Food Reviews International, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 123–140, 2007.
- H. Miraliakbari and F. Shahidi, “Oxidative stability of tree nut oils,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 56, no. 12, pp. 4751–4759, 2008.
- J. S. Amaral, S. Casal, J. A. Pereira, R. M. Seabra, and B. P. P. Oliveira, “Determination of sterol and fatty acid cmpositions, oxidative stability, and nutritional value of six walnut (Juglans regia L.) cultivars grown in Portugal,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 51, no. 26, pp. 7698–7702, 2003.
- E. Noumi, M. Snoussi, N. Trabelsi et al., “Antibacterial, anticandidal and antioxidant activities of Salvadora persica and Juglans regia L. extracts,” Journal of Medicinal Plant Research, vol. 5, no. 17, pp. 4138–4146, 2011.
- E. Noumi, M. Snoussi, H. Hajlaoui, E. Valentin, and A. Bakhrouf, “Antifungal properties of Salvadora persica and Juglans regia L. extracts against oral Candida strains,” European Journal of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 81–88, 2010.
- J. E. Bandow, H. Brotze, and L. I. O. Leichert, “Proteomic approach to understanding antibiotic action,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 948–955, 2003.
- M. T. Paulsena and M. Ljungman, “The natural toxin juglone causes degradation of p53 and induces rapid H2AX phosphorylation and cell death in human fibroblasts,” Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology, vol. 209, no. 1, pp. 1–9, 2005.
- H. Mirheidar, Knowledge of Plants, Amir Kabir Press, Tehran, Iran, 1995.
- A. Zargari, Medical Plants, Tehran University Press, Tehran, Iran, 1990.
- J. Lin, A. R. Opoku, M. Geheeb-Keller et al., “Preliminary screening of some traditional Zulu medicinal plants for anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial activities,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 68, no. 1–3, pp. 267–274, 1999.
- M. Amin and B. P. Kapadnis, “Heat stable antimicrobial activity of Allium ascalonicum against bacteria and fungi,” Indian Journal of Experimental Biology, vol. 43, no. 8, pp. 751–754, 2005.
- M. A. Pfaller, S. A. Messer, K. Mills, and A. Bolmstrom, “In vitro susceptibility testing of filamentous fungi: comparison of Etest and reference microdilution methods for determining itraconazole MICs,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 38, no. 9, pp. 3359–3361, 2000.
- A. D. Haffajee, T. Yaskell, and S. S. Socransky, “Antimicrobial effectiveness of an herbal mouthrinse compared with an essential oil and a chlorhexidine mouthrinse,” Journal of the American Dental Association, vol. 139, no. 5, pp. 606–611, 2008.
- R. Sharafati-Chaleshtori, F. Sharafati-Chaleshtori, and M. Rafieian-Kopaei, “Biological characterization of Iranian walnut (Juglans regia) leaves,” Turkish Journal of Biology, vol. 35, no. 5, pp. 635–639, 2011.
- H. Darmani, T. Nusayr, and A. S. Al-Hiyasat, “Effects of extracts of miswak and derum on proliferation of Balb/C 3T3 fibroblasts and viability of cariogenic bacteria,” International Journal of Dental Hygiene, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 62–66, 2006.