- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Differential Equations
Volume 2010 (2010), Article ID 464321, 22 pages
Stability and Convergence of an Effective Numerical Method for the Time-Space Fractional Fokker-Planck Equation with a Nonlinear Source Term
School of Mathematical Sciences, Queensland University of Technology, GPO Box 2434, Brisbane, QLD 4001, Australia
Received 25 May 2009; Revised 20 August 2009; Accepted 28 September 2009
Academic Editor: Om Agrawal
Copyright © 2010 Qianqian Yang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. Risken, The Fokker-Planck Equation: Methods of Solution and Applications, vol. 18 of Springer Series in Synergetics, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 2nd edition, 1989.
- D. A. Benson, S. W. Wheatcraft, and M. M. Meerschaert, “Application of a fractional advection-dispersion equation,” Water Resources Research, vol. 36, no. 6, pp. 1403–1412, 2000.
- D. A. Benson, S. W. Wheatcraft, and M. M. Meerschaert, “The fractional-order governing equation of Lévy motion,” Water Resources Research, vol. 36, no. 6, pp. 1413–1423, 2000.
- J.-P. Bouchaud and A. Georges, “Anomalous diffusion in disordered media: statistical mechanisms, models and physical applications,” Physics Reports, vol. 195, no. 4-5, pp. 127–293, 1990.
- R. Metzler and J. Klafter, “Fractional Fokker-Planck equation: dispersive transport in an external force field,” Journal of Molecular Liquids, vol. 86, no. 1, pp. 219–228, 2000.
- G. M. Zaslavsky, “Chaos, fractional kinetics, and anomalous transport,” Physics Reports, vol. 371, no. 6, pp. 461–580, 2002.
- F. Liu, V. Anh, and I. Turner, “Numerical solution of the space fractional Fokker-Planck equation,” Journal of Computational and Applied Mathematics, vol. 166, no. 1, pp. 209–219, 2004.
- R. Gorenflo and F. Mainardi, “Random walk models for space-fractional diffusion processes,” Fractional Calculus & Applied Analysis, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 167–191, 1998.
- C. W. Chow and K. L. Liu, “Fokker-Planck equation and subdiffusive fractional Fokker-Planck equation of bistable systems with sinks,” Physica A, vol. 341, no. 1–4, pp. 87–106, 2004.
- S. B. Yuste and L. Acedo, “An explicit finite difference method and a new von Neumann-type stability analysis for fractional diffusion equations,” SIAM Journal on Numerical Analysis, vol. 42, no. 5, pp. 1862–1874, 2005.
- T. A. M. Langlands and B. I. Henry, “The accuracy and stability of an implicit solution method for the fractional diffusion equation,” Journal of Computational Physics, vol. 205, no. 2, pp. 719–736, 2005.
- C.-M. Chen, F. Liu, I. Turner, and V. Anh, “A Fourier method for the fractional diffusion equation describing sub-diffusion,” Journal of Computational Physics, vol. 227, no. 2, pp. 886–897, 2007.
- P. Zhuang, F. Liu, V. Anh, and I. Turner, “New solution and analytical techniques of the implicit numerical method for the anomalous subdiffusion equation,” SIAM Journal on Numerical Analysis, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 1079–1095, 2008.
- C.-M. Chen, F. Liu, and V. Anh, “A Fourier method and an extrapolation technique for Stokes' first problem for a heated generalized second grade fluid with fractional derivative,” Journal of Computational and Applied Mathematics, vol. 223, no. 2, pp. 777–789, 2009.
- S. Chen, F. Liu, P. Zhuang, and V. Anh, “Finite difference approximations for the fractional Fokker-Planck equation,” Applied Mathematical Modelling, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 256–273, 2009.
- I. Podlubny, Fractional Differential Equations: An Introduction to Fractional Derivatives, Fractional Differential Equations, to Methods of Their Solution and Some of Their Applications, vol. 198 of Mathematics in Science and Engineering, Academic Press, New York, NY, USA, 1999.
- A. Schot, M. K. Lenzi, L. R. Evangelista, L. C. Malacarne, R. S. Mendes, and E. K. Lenzi, “Fractional diffusion equation with an absorbent term and a linear external force: exact solution,” Physics Letters A, vol. 366, no. 4-5, pp. 346–350, 2007.
- E. K. Lenzi, L. C. Malacarne, R. S. Mendes, and I. T. Pedron, “Anomalous diffusion, nonlinear fractional Fokker-Planck equation and solutions,” Physica A, vol. 319, pp. 245–252, 2003.
- P. Zhuang, F. Liu, V. Anh, and I. Turner, “Numerical treatment for the fractional Fokker-Planck equation,” The ANZIAM Journal, vol. 48, pp. C759–C774, 2006-2007.
- B. Baeumer, M. Kovács, and M. M. Meerschaert, “Numerical solutions for fractional reaction-diffusion equations,” Computers & Mathematics with Applications, vol. 55, no. 10, pp. 2212–2226, 2008.
- K. B. Oldham and J. Spanier, The Fractional Calculus: Theory and Applications of Differentiation and Integration to Arbitrary Order, vol. 11 of Mathematics in Science and Engineering, Academic Press, New York, NY, USA, 1974.
- M. M. Meerschaert and C. Tadjeran, “Finite difference approximations for two-sided space-fractional partial differential equations,” Applied Numerical Mathematics, vol. 56, no. 1, pp. 80–90, 2006.
- R. Lin and F. Liu, “Fractional high order methods for the nonlinear fractional ordinary differential equation,” Nonlinear Analysis: Theory, Methods & Applications, vol. 66, no. 4, pp. 856–869, 2007.
- F. Liu, C. Yang, and K. Burrage, “Numerical method and analytic technique of the modified anomalous subdiffusion equation with a nonlinear source term,” Journal of Computational and Applied Mathematics, vol. 231, no. 1, pp. 160–176, 2009.
- M. M. Meerschaert and C. Tadjeran, “Finite difference approximations for fractional advection-dispersion flow equations,” Journal of Computational and Applied Mathematics, vol. 172, no. 1, pp. 65–77, 2004.
- W. Deng, “Finite element method for the space and time fractional Fokker-Planck equation,” SIAM Journal on Numerical Analysis, vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 204–226, 2008-2009.
- J. I. Ramos, “Damping characteristics of finite difference methods for one-dimensional reaction-diffusion equations,” Applied Mathematics and Computation, vol. 182, no. 1, pp. 607–609, 2006.
- D. del-Castillo-Negrete, B. A. Carreras, and V. E. Lynch, “Front dynamics in reaction-diffusion systems with Levy flights: a fractional diffusion approach,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 91, no. 1, Article ID 018302, 4 pages, 2003.
- V. E. Lynch, B. A. Carreras, D. del-Castillo-Negrete, K. M. Ferreira-Mejias, and H. R. Hicks, “Numerical methods for the solution of partial differential equations of fractional order,” Journal of Computational Physics, vol. 192, no. 2, pp. 406–421, 2003.
- B. Baeumer, M. Kovács, and M. M. Meerschaert, “Fractional reproduction-dispersal equations and heavy tail dispersal kernels,” Bulletin of Mathematical Biology, vol. 69, no. 7, pp. 2281–2297, 2007.