- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Differential Equations
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 231920, 12 pages
An Explicit Numerical Method for the Fractional Cable Equation
Departamento de Física, Universidad de Extremadura, 06071 Badajoz, Spain
Received 27 April 2011; Accepted 30 June 2011
Academic Editor: Fawang Liu
Copyright © 2011 J. Quintana-Murillo and S. B. Yuste. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. Klages, G. Radons, and I. M. Sokolov, Eds., Anomalous Transport: Foundations and Applications, Elsevier, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 2008.
- I. Podlubny, Fractional Differential Equations, vol. 198, Academic Press, San Diego, Calif, USA, 1999.
- R. Hilfer, Ed., Applications of Fractional Calculus in Physics, World Scientific, Singapore, 2000.
- A. A. Kilbas, H. M. Srivastava, and J. J. Trujillo, Theory and Applications of Fractional Differential Equations, vol. 204, Elsevier, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 2006.
- R. L. Magin, O. Abdullah, D. Baleanu, and X. J. Zhou, “Anomalous diffusion expressed through fractional order differential operators in the Bloch-Torrey equation,” Journal of Magnetic Resonance, vol. 190, no. 2, pp. 255–270, 2008.
- D. Baleanu, “Fractional variational principles in action,” Physica Scripta, vol. 2009, no. T136, Article ID 014006, 4 pages, 2009.
- S. B. Yuste and L. Acedo, “Some exact results for the trapping of subdiffusive particles in one dimension,” Physica A, vol. 336, no. 3-4, pp. 334–346, 2004.
- S. B. Yuste and K. Lindenberg, “Trapping reactions with subdiffusive traps and particles characterized by different anomalous diffusion exponents,” Physical Review E, vol. 72, no. 6, Article ID 061103, 8 pages, 2005.
- S. B. Yuste and K. Lindenberg, “Subdiffusive target problem: survival probability,” Physical Review E, vol. 76, no. 5, Article ID 051114, 6 pages, 2007.
- R. Metzler and J. Klafter, “The random walk's guide to anomalous diffusion: a fractional dynamics approach,” Physics Reports, vol. 339, no. 1, p. 77, 2000.
- R. Metzler and J. Klafter, “The restaurant at the end of the random walk: recent developments in the description of anomalous transport by fractional dynamics,” Journal of Physics A, vol. 37, no. 31, pp. R161–R208, 2004.
- R. Metzler, E. Barkai, and J. Klafter, “Anomalous diffusion and relaxation close to thermal equilibrium: A fractional Fokker-Planck equation approach,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 82, no. 18, pp. 3563–3567, 1999.
- S. B. Yuste, E. Abad, and K. Lindenberg, “A reaction-subdiffusion model of morphogen gradient formation,” Physical Review E, vol. 82, no. 6, Article ID 061123, 9 pages, 2010.
- J. A. Dix and A. S. Verkman, “Crowding effects on diffusion in solutions and cells,” Annual Review of Biophysics, vol. 37, pp. 247–263, 2008.
- I. Y. Wong, M. L. Gardel, D. R. Reichman, et al., “Anomalous Diffusion Probes Microstructure Dynamics of Entangled F-Actin Networks,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 92, no. 17, Article ID 178101, 4 pages, 2004.
- J.-H. Jeon, V. Tejedor, S. Burov, et al., “In Vivo Anomalous Diffusion and Weak Ergodicity Breaking of Lipid Granules,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 106, no. 4, Article ID 048103, 4 pages, 2011.
- T. A. M. Langlands, B. I. Henry, and S. L. Wearne, “Fractional cable equation models for anomalous electrodiffusion in nerve cells: infinite domain solutions,” Journal of Mathematical Biology, vol. 59, no. 6, pp. 761–808, 2009.
- B. I. Henry, T. A. M. Langlands, and S. L. Wearne, “Fractional cable models for spiny neuronal dendrites,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 100, no. 12, Article ID 128103, p. 4, 2008.
- A. Compte and R. Metzler, “The generalized Cattaneo equation for the description of anomalous transport processes,” Journal of Physics A, vol. 30, no. 21, pp. 7277–7289, 1997.
- R. Metzler and T. F. Nonnenmacher, “Fractional diffusion, waiting-time distributions, and Cattaneo-type equations,” Physical Review E, vol. 57, no. 6, pp. 6409–6414, 1998.
- S. S. Ray, “Exact solutions for time-fractional diffusion-wave equations by decomposition method,” Physica Scripta, vol. 75, no. 1, pp. 53–61, 2007.
- S. Momani, A. Odibat, and V. S. Erturk, “Generalized differential transform method for solving a space- and time-fractional diffusion-wave equation,” Physics Letters. A, vol. 370, no. 5-6, pp. 379–387, 2007.
- H. Jafari and S. Momani, “Solving fractional diffusion and wave equations by modified homotopy perturbation method,” Physics Letters. A, vol. 370, no. 5-6, pp. 388–396, 2007.
- A. M. A. El-Sayed and M. Gaber, “The Adomian decomposition method for solving partial differential equations of fractal order in finite domains,” Physics Letters A, vol. 359, no. 3, pp. 175–182, 2006.
- I. Podlubny, A. V. Chechkin, T. Skovranek, Y. Chen, and B. M. Vinagre Jara, “Matrix approach to discrete fractional calculus. II. Partial fractional differential equations,” Journal of Computational Physics, vol. 228, no. 8, pp. 3137–3153, 2009.
- E. Barkai, “Fractional Fokker-Planck equation, solution, and application,” Physical Review E, vol. 63, no. 4, Article ID 046118, 17 pages, 2001.
- M. Enelund and G. A. Lesieutre, “Time domain modeling of damping using anelastic displacement fields and fractional calculus,” International Journal of Solids and Structures, vol. 36, no. 29, pp. 4447–4472, 1999.
- G. J. Fix and J. P. Roop, “Least squares finite-element solution of a fractional order two-point boundary value problem,” Computers & Mathematics with Applications. An International Journal, vol. 48, no. 7-8, pp. 1017–1033, 2004.
- Y. Zheng, C. Li, and Z. Zhao, “A note on the finite element method for the space-fractional advection diffusion equation,” Computers & Mathematics with Applications, vol. 59, no. 5, pp. 1718–1726, 2010.
- Y. Zheng, C. Li, and Z. Zhao, “A fully discrete discontinuous Galerkin method for nonlinear fractional Fokker-Planck equation,” Mathematical Problems in Engineering, vol. 2010, Article ID 279038, p. 26, 2010.
- R. Gorenflo, F. Mainardi, D. Moretti, and P. Paradisi, “Time fractional diffusion: a discrete random walk approach,” Nonlinear Dynamics, vol. 29, no. 1–4, pp. 129–143, 2002.
- S. B. Yuste and L. Acedo, “An explicit finite difference method and a new von Neumann-type stability analysis for fractional diffusion equations,” SIAM Journal on Numerical Analysis, vol. 42, no. 5, pp. 1862–1874, 2005.
- S. B. Yuste and J. Quintana-Murillo, “On three explicit difference schemes for fractional diffusion and diffusion-wave equations,” Physica Scripta, vol. 2009, no. T136, Article ID 014025, 6 pages, 2009.
- S. B. Yuste, “Weighted average finite difference methods for fractional diffusion equations,” Journal of Computational Physics, vol. 216, no. 1, pp. 264–274, 2006.
- J. Quintana-Murillo and S. B. Yuste, “An explicit difference method for solving fractional diffusion and diffusion-wave equations in the Caputo form,” Journal of Computational and Nonlinear Dynamics, vol. 6, no. 2, Article ID 021014, 6 pages, 2011.
- C. M. Chen, F. Liu, I. Turner, and V. Anh, “A Fourier method for the fractional diffusion equation describing sub-diffusion,” Journal of Computational Physics, vol. 227, no. 2, pp. 886–897, 2007.
- P. Zhuang, F. Liu, V. Anh, and I. Turner, “New solution and analytical techniques of the implicit numerical method for the anomalous subdiffusion equation,” SIAM Journal on Numerical Analysis, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 1079–1095, 2008.
- F. Liu, Q. Yang, and I. Turner, “Stability and convergence of two new implicit numerical methods for the fractional cable equation,” Journal of Computational and Nonlinear Dynamics, vol. 6, no. 1, Article ID 01109, 7 pages, 2011.
- K. W. Morton and D. F. Mayers, Numerical Solution of Partial Differential Equations, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 1994.
- Ch. Lubich, “Discretized fractional calculus,” SIAM Journal on Mathematical Analysis, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 704–719, 1986.
- A. M. Mathai and R. K. Saxena, The H-Function with Applications in Statistics and Other Disciplines, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1978.
- M. Cui, “Compact finite difference method for the fractional diffusion equation,” Journal of Computational Physics, vol. 228, no. 20, pp. 7792–7804, 2009.