- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Digital Multimedia Broadcasting
Volume 2008 (2008), Article ID 250654, 18 pages
Live Broadcasting of High Definition Audiovisual Content Using HDTV over Broadband IP Networks
1Telecommunications Laboratory, Electroacoustics Unit, Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki 54124, Greece
2Electronic Media Laboratory, Department of Journalism & Mass Communication, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki 54006, Greece
Received 8 April 2008; Revised 7 August 2008; Accepted 5 November 2008
Academic Editor: Thomas Magedanz
Copyright © 2008 C. E. Vegiris et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- O. Friedrich, A. Al-Hezmi, S. Arbanowski, and T. Magedanz, “Evolution of next generation networks towards an integrated platform for IMS-based IPTV services,” in Proceedings of the Internalional Symposium on Applications and the Internet Workshops (SAINT '07), p. 10, Hiroshima, Japan, January 2007.
- O. Friedrich, A. Al-Hezmi, S. Arbanowski, and T. Magedanz, “Next generation IPTV services for an extended IMS architecture,” in Proceedings of the 8th International Symposium on Autonomous Decentralized Systems (ISADS '07), pp. 429–436, Sedona, Ariz, USA, March 2007.
- A. Al-Hezmi, O. Friedrich, S. Arbanowski, and T. Magdanz, “Requirements for an IMS-based quadruple play service architecture,” IEEE Network, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 28–33, 2007.
- A. Al-Hezmi, Y. Rebahi, T. Magedanz, and S. Arbanowski, “Towards an interactive IPTV for mobile subscribers,” in Proceedings of International Conference on Digital Telecommunications (ICDT '06), p. 45, Cote d'Azur, France, August-September 2006.
- H. J. Kang, Y. H. Jeong, and S. G. Choi, “A method of forking stream using IP multicast in HDTV media gateway,” in Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Advanced Communication Technology (ICACT '05), vol. 1, pp. 393–396, Phoenix Park, South Korea, February 2005.
- T. Kuge, “Development of JPEG2000 HDTV program production system,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Image Processing, pp. 505–508, Atlanta, Ga, USA, October 2006.
- J. Lee and K. Chon, “Compressed high definition television (HDTV) over IPv6,” in Proceedings of the Internalional Symposium on Applications and the Internet Workshops (SAINT '06), pp. 22–25, Phoenix, Ariz, USA, January 2006.
- K. Jack, Video Demystified: A Handbook for the Digital Engineer, Elsevier, Oxford, UK, 4th edition, 2005.
- G. Steinke, “High-definition surround sound with accompanying HD picture,” in Proceedings of International Tonmeister Symposium, Bavaria, Germany, October-November 2005.
- M. Sugawara, K. Mitani, M. Kanazawa, F. Okano, and Y. Nishida, “Future prospects of HDTV—technical trends toward 1080p,” in Proceedings of the the International Broadcasting Conference (IBC '05), Compiegne, France, September 2005.
- J. C. Whitaker, “Search of the new viewing experience,” in Creating Digital Content, J. Rice and B. McKernan, Eds., pp. 351–366, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, USA, 2002.
- M. Emoto, K. Masaoka, M. Sugawara, and F. Okano, “Viewing angle effects from wide field video projection images on the human equilibrium,” Displays, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 9–14, 2005.
- H. Kimio, N. Toshiyuki, H. Koichiro, and O. Kazuho, “Advanced multichannel audio systems with superior impression of presence and reality,” in Proceedings of the 116th AES Convention, Berlin, Germany, May 2004, paper number: 6053.
- H. Kimio, H. Koichiro, N. Toshiyuki, and O. Reiko, “Effectiveness of height information for reproducing the presence and reality in multichannel audio system,” in Proceedings of the 120th AES Convention, Paris, France, May 2006, paper number: 6679.
- H. Kimio, H. Koichiro, and O. Reiko, “The 22.2 multichannel sound system and its application,” in Proceedings of the 118th AES Convention, Barcelona, Spain, May 2005, paper number: 6406.
- H. Kimio, N. Yasushige, N. Toshiyuki, and O. Reiko, “Wide listening area with exceptional spatial sound quality of a 22.2 multichannel sound system,” in Proceedings of the 122th AES Convention, Vienna, Austria, May 2007, paper number: 7073.
- M. Emoto, K. Masaoka, M. Sugawara, and F. Okano, “Quantitative evaluation of sensation of presence in viewing the “Super Hi-Vision” 4000-scanning-line wide-field video system,” in Proceedings of Presence, pp. 62–66, Valencia, Spain, October 2004.
- F. Okano, M. Kanazawa, K. Mitani, et al., “Ultrahigh-definition television system with 4000 scanning lines,” in Proceedings of NAB BEC, Guobin (Jacky) Shen and J. Cai, Eds., pp. 437–440, Las Vegas, Nev, USA, April 2004.
- G. (Jacky) Shen and J. Cai, Eds., “Multimedia networking,” Advances in Multimedia, vol. 2007, Article ID 97262, 1 page pages, 2007.
- Digital Cinema Initiatives LLC, http://www.dcimovies.com/.
- Internet2, http://www.internet2.org/.
- GEANT, http://www.geant.net/.
- Laboratory of Electroacoustics and TV Systems, “HDTV over IP: live broadcasting of cultural events,” project report, 2007, http://avlab.ee.auth.gr/hdtv/index_en.html.
- The Philadelphia Orchestra, “Global Concert Series: broadcasting live concerts to your location with interactive content throughout Internet2,” http://www.philorch.org/internet2_1.html.
- B. Pesquet-Popescu, A. Dumitras, and B. Macq, Eds., “Video analysis and coding for robust transmission,” EURASIP Journal on Applied Signal Processing, vol. 2006, Article ID 53981, 3 pages, 2006.
- P. Seeling and M. Reisslein, “Evaluating multimedia networking mechanisms using video traces,” IEEE Potentials, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 21–25, 2005.
- I. E. G. Richardson, H.264 and MPEG-4 Video Compression: Video Coding for Next-Generation Multimedia, John Wiley & Sons, Chichester, UK, 2003.
- J.-F. (Kevin) Yang, H.-M. Hang, E. Steinbach, and M.-T. Sun, Eds., “Advanced video technologies and applications for H.264/AVC and beyond,” EURASIP Journal on Applied Signal Processing, vol. 2006, Article ID 27579, 3 pages, 2006.
- S. Kanumuri, P. Cosman, and A. R. Reibman, “A generalized linear model for MPEG-2 packet-loss visibility,” in Proceedings of the 14th International Packet Video Workshop (PV '04), Irvine, Calif, USA, December 2004.
- O. A. Lotfallah, M. Reisslein, and S. Panchanathan, “A framework for advanced video traces: evaluating visual quality for video transmission over lossy networks,” EURASIP Journal on Applied Signal Processing, vol. 2006, Article ID 42083, 21 pages, 2006.
- Z. Wang, A. C. Bovik, H. R. Sheikh, and E. P. Simoncelli, “Image quality assessment: from error visibility to structural similarity,” IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 600–612, 2004.
- S. Winkler, Digital Video Quality: Vision Models and Metrics, John Wiley & Sons, Chichester, UK, 2005.
- H. Hoffmann, T. Itagaki, D. Wood, and A. Bock, “Studies on the bit rate requirements for a HDTV format with 1920 1080 pixel resolution, progressive scanning at 50 Hz frame rate targeting large flat panel displays,” IEEE Transactions on Broadcasting, vol. 52, no. 4, pp. 420–434, 2006.
- H. Hoffmann, T. Itagaki, D. Wood, T. Hinz, and T. Wiegand, “A novel method for subjective picture quality assessment and further studies of HDTV formats,” IEEE Transactions on Broadcasting, vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 1–13, 2008.
- ITU-T Tutorial, “Objective perceptual assessment of video quality: full reference television,” International Telecommunication Union, Geneva, Switzerland, 2004.
- A. Akio, H. Kimio, I. Atsushi, et al., “Production and live transmission of 22.2 multichannel sound with ultra-high definition TV,” in Proceedings of the 122th AES Convention, Vienna, Austria, May 2007, paper number: 7137.
- C. A. Dimoulas, K. A. Avdelidis, G. M. Kalliris, and G. V. Papanikolaou, “Joint wavelet video denoising and motion activity detection in multimodal human activity analysis: application to video-assisted bioacoustic/psychophysiological monitoring,” EURASIP Journal on Advances in Signal Processing, vol. 2008, Article ID 792028, 19 pages, 2008.
- K. Hamasaki, S. Komiyama, K. Hiyama, and H. Okubo, “5.1 and 22.2 multichannel sound productions using an integrated surround sound panning system,” in Proceedings of NAB BEC, pp. 382–387, Las Vegas, Nev, USA, April 2005.
- N. H. Kyokai, “Reports on surround sound for radio dramas,” in ABU Technical Committee Annual Meeting, Beijing, China, November 2006.
- M. A. Gerzon, “Ambisonics in multichannel broadcasting and video,” Journal of the Audio Engineering Society, vol. 33, no. 11, pp. 859–871, 1985.
- SoundField, “SoundField Technology,” 2008, http://www.soundfield.com/.
- K. Avdelidis, C. Dimoulas, G. Kalliris, and G. Papanikolaou, “Sound source localization and B-format enhancement using sound field microphone sets,” in Proceedings of the 122nd AES Convention, Vienna, Austria, May 2007, paper Number: 7091.
- P. Salembier, “Overview of the MPEG-7 standard and of future challenges for visual information analysis,” EURASIP Journal on Applied Signal Processing, vol. 2002, no. 4, pp. 343–353, 2002.
- C. Vegiris, K. Avdelidis, and G. Papanikolaou, “Surround sound systems implementation for the audience sense experience enhancement. An application study,” in Proceedings of the 4th National Conference of Acoustics, Xanthi, Greece, 2008.
- ETSI, “Specification for the use of Video and Audio Coding in Broadcasting Applications based on the MPEG-2 Transport Stream,” ETSI TR 101 154, DVB Document A001 Rev., 7 February 2007.
- ITU-T, IPTV Focus Group Proceedings, 2008.
- M. Mbise and J. Woods, “Multimedia interaction and a quality of experience metric based on application and network level considerations,” in Proceedings of the 13th International Packet Video Workshop (PVW '03), pp. 28–29, Nantes France, April 2003.
- M. Siller and J. Woods, “Improving quality of experience for multimedia services by QoS arbitration on a QoE framework,” in Proceedings of the 13th International Packet Video Workshop (PVW '03), Nantes, France, April 2003.
- H. Koumaras, A. Kourtis, C.-H. Lin, and C.-K. Shieh, “A theoretical framework for end-to-end video quality prediction of MPEG-based sequences,” in Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Networking and Services (ICNS '07), p. 62, Athens, Greece, June 2007.
- ITU-T Recommendation P.10./G.100 Appendix I, “Definition of Quality of Experience (QoE),” January 2007.
- L. Haglund, “The SVT high definition multi format test set,” Swedish Television Stockholm, 2006, ftp://vqeg.its.bldrdoc.gov/.
- The Linux Foundation, “NETEmml: network emulator,” 2008, http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/Net:Netem.
- Semaca Ltd., http://www.semaca.co.uk/content.php?produs=2.
- C. Dimoulas, G. Kalliris, G. Papanikolaou, and A. Kalampakas, “Long-term signal detection, segmentation and summarization using wavelets and fractal dimension: a bioacoustics application in gastrointestinal-motility monitoring,” Computers in Biology and Medicine, vol. 37, no. 4, pp. 438–462, 2007.
- Recommendation ITU-R BT.500-11 (Question ITU-R 211/11), “Methodology for the subjective assessment of the quality of television pictures,” June 2006.