- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Digital Multimedia Broadcasting
Volume 2009 (2009), Article ID 806750, 15 pages
MEL-IRIS: An Online Tool for Audio Analysis and Music Indexing
Computer Science Department, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, University Campus 541 24, Thessaloniki, Greece
Received 1 May 2009; Revised 14 August 2009; Accepted 21 September 2009
Academic Editor: Peijun Shan
Copyright © 2009 Dimitrios Margounakis et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. Politis and D. Margounakis, “Determining the chromatic index of music,” in Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Web Delivering of Music (WEDELMUSIC '03), pp. 95–102, Leeds, UK, September 2003.
- D. Politis, D. Margounakis, and K. Mokos, “Visualizing the chromatic index of music,” in Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Web Delivering of Music (WEDELMUSIC '04), pp. 102–109, Barcelona, Spain, September 2004.
- R. Shepard, “Pitch perception and measurement,” in Music, Cognition and Computerized Sound, P. Cook, Ed., MIT Press, Cambridge, Mass, USA, 1999.
- W. L. Idson and D. W. Massaro, “A bidimensional model of pitch in the recognition of melodies,” Perception & Psychophysics, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 551–565, 1978.
- V. Barski, Chromaticism, Harwood, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 1996.
- A Jacobs, The New Penguin Dictionary of Music, Penguin, New York, NY, USA, 1980.
- M. L. West, Ancient Greek Music, Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK, 1994.
- A. Wood and I. M. Bowsher, The Physics of Music, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1975.
- G. Tzanetakis and P. Cook, “Musical genre classification of audio signals,” IEEE Transactions on Speech and Audio Processing, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 293–302, 2002.
- C. Padgham, “The scaling of the timbre of the piping organ,” Acustica, vol. 60, pp. 189–204, 1986.
- J. L. Caivano, “Colour and sound: physical and psychophysical relations,” Colour Research and Applications, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 126–132, 1994.
- K. Giannakis and M. Smith, “Auditory-visual associations for music compositional processes: a survey,” in Proceedings of the International Computer Music Conference (ICMC '00), Berlin, Germany, 2000.
- C. L. Krumhansl, “Music: a link between cognition and emotion,” Current Directions in Psychological Science, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 45–50, 2002.
- R. Jackendoff and F. Lerdahl, “The capacity for music: what is it, and what's special about it?” Cognition, vol. 100, no. 1, pp. 33–72, 2006.
- E. Schubert, “Modeling perceived emotion with continuous musical features,” Music Perception, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 561–585, 2004.
- E. D. Scheirer, “Tempo and beat analysis of acoustic musical signals,” Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, vol. 103, no. 1, pp. 588–601, 1998.
- F. Kurth and M. Muler, “Efficient index-based audio matching,” IEEE Transactions on Audio, Speech and Language Processing, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 382–395, 2008.
- M. Clausen and F. Kurth, “A unified approach to content-based and fault-tolerant music recognition,” IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 717–731, 2004.
- J. P. Bello, “Audio-based cover song retrieval using approximate chord sequences: testing shifts, gaps, swaps and beats,” in Proceedings of the International Symposium on Music Information Retrieval (ISMIR '07), pp. 239–244, September 2007.
- S. B. Davis and P. Mermelstein, “Comparison of parametric representations for monosyllabic word recognition in continuously spoken sentences,” IEEE Transactions on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 357–366, 1980.
- G. Tzanetakis and P. Cook, “Multifeature audio segmentation for browsing and annotation,” in Proceedings of the IEEE ASSP Workshop on Applications of Signal Processing to Audio and Acoustics (WASPLAA '99), pp. 103–106, New Paltz, NY, USA, October 1999.
- D. Kimber and L. Wilcox, “Acoustic segmentation for audio browsers,” in Proceedings of the Interface Conference, L. Billard and N. I. Fisher, Eds., pp. 295–304, Sydney, Australia, 1996.
- M. A. Bartsch and G. H. Wakefield, “Audio thumbnailing of popular music using chroma-based representations,” IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 96–104, 2005.
- M. Marolt, “A mid-level representation for melody-based retrieval in audio collections,” IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, vol. 10, no. 8, pp. 1617–1625, 2008.
- A. Klapuri, “Multiple fundamental frequency estimation by summing harmonic amplitudes,” in Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Music Information Retrieval (ISMIR '06), pp. 216–221, Victoria, Canada, October 2006.
- S. M. Smith and G. N. Williams, “A visualization of music,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Visualization, pp. 499–503, Phoenix, Ariz, USA, October 1997.
- F. Vignoli, R. van Gulik, and H. van de Wetering, “Mapping music in the palm of your hand, explore and discover your collection,” in Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Music Information Retrieval (ISMIR '04), E. Fox and N. Rowe, Eds., pp. 409–414, Barcelona, Spain, October 2004.
- E. Pampalk and M. Goto, “Musicrainbow: a new user interface to discover artists using audio-based similarity and web-based labeling,” in Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Music Information Retrieval (ISMIR '06), pp. 367–370, Victoria, Canada, October 2006.
- K. Attakitmongcol, R. Chinvejkitvanich, and S. Sujitjorn, “Characterization of traditional thai musical scale,” in Proceedings of the 5th WSEAS International Conference on Acoustics and Music: Theory & Applications (AMTA '04), Venice, Italy, November 2004.
- E. Cambouropoulos and G. Widmer, “Automatic motivic analysis via melodic clustering,” Journal of New Music Research, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 303–317, 2000.
- F. Lerdahl and R. Jackendoff, A Generative Theory of Tonal Music, MIT Press, Cambridge, Mass, USA, 1983.
- N. Fakotakis, E. Stamatatos, and G. Kokkinakis, “Automatic text categorization in terms of genre and author,” Computational Linguistics, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 471–495, 2000.
- A. Ghias, J. Logan, D. Chamberlin, and B. C. Smith, “Query by humming: musical information retrieval in an audio database,” in Proceedings of the 3rd ACM International Conference on Multimedia, pp. 231–236, San Francisco, Calif, USA, November 1995.
- J. Wang, W.-J. Yang, and R. Acharya, “Color space quantization for color-content-based query systems,” Multimedia Tools and Applications, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 73–91, 2001.
- D. P. W. Ellis and G. E. Poliner, “Identifying ‘cover songs’ with chroma features and dynamic programming beat tracking,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing (ICASSP '07), vol. 4, pp. 1429–1432, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA, April 2007.
- J. H. Lee and J. S. Downie, “Survey of music information needs, uses, and seeking behaviours: preliminary findings,” in Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Music Information Retrieval (ISMIR '04), pp. 441–446, Barcelona, Spain, 2004.