- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Digital Multimedia Broadcasting
Volume 2010 (2010), Article ID 397824, 13 pages
On the Optimization of the IEEE 802.11 DCF: A Cross-Layer Perspective
1Electrical Engineering Department, Texas A&M University-Texarkana, Texarkana, TX 75505, USA
2DELEN, Politecnico di Torino, 10129 Torino, Italy
Received 5 May 2010; Accepted 20 October 2010
Academic Editor: Petros Nicopolitidis
Copyright © 2010 Massimiliano Laddomada and Fabio Mesiti. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P802.11, “IEEE Standard for Wireless LAN Medium Access Control (MAC) and Physical Layer (PHY) Specifications,” November 1997.
- G. Bianchi, “Performance analysis of the IEEE 802.11 distributed coordination function,” IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 535–547, 2000.
- F. Daneshgaran, M. Laddomada, F. Mesiti, M. Mondin, and M. Zanolo, “Saturation throughput analysis of IEEE 802.11 in the presence of non ideal transmission channel and capture effects,” IEEE Transactions on Communications, vol. 56, no. 7, pp. 1178–1188, 2008.
- Q. Ni, T. Li, T. Turletti, and Y. Xiao, “Saturation throughput analysis of error-prone 802.11 wireless networks,” Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing, vol. 5, no. 8, pp. 945–956, 2005.
- P. Chatzimisios, A. C. Boucouvalas, and V. Vitsas, “Influence of channel BER on IEEE 802.11 DCF,” Electronics Letters, vol. 39, no. 23, pp. 1687–1689, 2003.
- Y. Zheng, K. Lu, D. Wu, and Y. Fang, “Performance analysis of IEEE 802.11 DCF in imperfect channels,” IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, vol. 55, no. 5, pp. 1648–1656, 2006.
- H. C. Lee, “Impact of bit errors on the DCF throughput in wireless LAN over ricean fading channels,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Digital Telecommunications (ICDT '06), p. 37, August 2006.
- Y. S. Liaw, A. Dadej, and A. Jayasuriya, “Performance analysis of IEEE 802.11 DCF under limited load,” in Proceedings of the Asia-Pacific Conference on Communications, vol. 1, pp. 759–763, October 2005.
- D. Malone, K. Duffy, and D. Leith, “Modeling the 802.11 distributed coordination function in nonsaturated heterogeneous conditions,” IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 159–172, 2007.
- F. Daneshgaran, M. Laddomada, F. Mesiti, and M. Mondin, “On the linear behaviour of the throughput of IEEE 802.11 DCF in non-saturated conditions,” IEEE Communications Letters, vol. 11, no. 11, pp. 856–858, 2007.
- G. R. Cantieni, Q. Ni, C. Barakat, and T. Turletti, “Performance analysis under finite load and improvements for multirate 802.11,” Computer Communications, vol. 28, no. 10, pp. 1095–1109, 2005.
- F. Daneshgaran, M. Laddomada, F. Mesiti, and M. Mondin, “Unsaturated throughput analysis of IEEE 802.11 in presence of non ideal transmission channel and capture effects,” IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 1276–1286, 2008.
- F. Daneshgaran, M. Laddomada, F. Mesiti, and M. Mondin, “A model of the IEEE 802.11 DCF in presence of non ideal transmission channel and capture effects,” in Proceedings of the 50th Annual IEEE Global Telecommunications Conference (GLOBECOM '07), pp. 5112–5116, Washington, DC, USA, November 2007.
- D. Qiao, S. Choi, and K. G. Shin, “Goodput analysis and link adaptation for IEEE 802.11 a wireless LANs,” IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 278–292, 2002.
- F. Calì, M. Conti, and E. Gregori, “Dynamic tuning of the IEEE 802.11 protocol to achieve a theoretical throughput limit,” IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, vol. 8, no. 6, pp. 785–799, 2000.
- A. Khalaj, N. Yazdani, and M. Rahgozar, “The effect of decreasing CW size on performance in IEEE 802.11 DCF,” in Proceedings of the 13th IEEE International Conference on Networks Jointly Held with the 7th IEEE Malaysia International Conference on Communications (ICCN '05), pp. 521–525, November 2005.
- A. Khalaj, N. Yazdani, and M. Rahgozar, “Effect of the contention window size on performance and fairness of the IEEE 802.11 standard,” Wireless Personal Communications, vol. 43, no. 4, pp. 1267–1278, 2007.
- S. Choudhury and J. D. Gibson, “Payload length and rate adaptation for multimedia communications in wireless LANs,” IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 796–807, 2007.
- S. Choudhury and J. D. Gibson, “Throughput optimization for wireless LANs in the presence of packet error rate constraints,” IEEE Communications Letters, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 11–13, 2008.
- H. Anouar and C. Bonnet, “Optimal constant-window backoff scheme for IEEE 802.11 DCF in single-hop wireless networks under finite load conditions,” Wireless Personal Communications, vol. 43, no. 4, pp. 1583–1602, 2007.
- C. Verikoukis, L. Alonso, and T. Giamalis, “Cross-layer optimization for wireless systems: a european research key challenge,” IEEE Communications Magazine, vol. 43, no. 7, pp. 1–3, 2005.
- Q. Xia and M. Hamdi, “Contention window adjustment for IEEE 802.11 WLANs: a control-theoretic approach,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC '06), pp. 3923–3928, June 2006.
- X. Wu, “Simulate 802.11b channel within NS-2,” April 2004, http://www.comp.nus.edu.sg/~wuxiucha/research/reactive/publication/Simulate80211ChannelWithNS2.pdf.
- J. G. Proakis, Digital Communications, McGraw Hill, New York, NY, USA, 4th edition, 2001.
- F. Daneshgaran and M. Laddomada, “Optimized prunable single-cycle interleavers for turbo codes,” IEEE Transactions on Communications, vol. 52, no. 6, pp. 899–909, 2004.
- F. Daneshgaran and M. Laddomada, “Reduced complexity interleaver growth algorithm for turbo codes,” IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 954–964, 2005.
- F. Daneshgaran, M. Laddomada, and M. Mondin, “Interleaver design for serially concatenated convolutional codes: theory and application,” IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, vol. 50, no. 6, pp. 1177–1188, 2004.
- A. L. Toledo, T. Vercauteren, and X. Wang, “Adaptive optimization of IEEE 802.11 DCF based on Bayesian estimation of the number of competing terminals,” IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, vol. 5, no. 9, pp. 1283–1296, 2006.
- G. Bianchi and I. Tinnirello, “Kalman filter estimation of the number of competing terminals in an IEEE 802.11 network,” in Proceedings of the 22nd Annual Joint Conference on the IEEE Computer and Communications Societies (INFOCOM '03), pp. 844–852, March-April 2003.
- J.-S. Kim, E. Serpedin, and D.-R. Shin, “Improved particle filtering-based estimation of the number of competing stations in IEEE 802.11 networks,” IEEE Signal Processing Letters, vol. 15, pp. 87–90, 2008.