- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Digital Multimedia Broadcasting
Volume 2010 (2010), Article ID 645049, 13 pages
An Evolutionary Video Assignment Optimization Technique for VOD System in Heterogeneous Environment
Department of Electronic and Information Engineering, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hung Hom, Hong Kong
Received 8 January 2010; Accepted 21 June 2010
Academic Editor: Markus Kampmann
Copyright © 2010 King-Man Ho et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- F. Thouin and M. Coates, “Video-on-demand networks: design approaches and future challenges,” IEEE Network, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 42–48, 2007.
- A. Dan, P. Shahabuddin, D. Sitaram, and D. Towsley, “Channel allocation under batching and VCR control in Video-on-Demand systems,” Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 168–179, 1995.
- K. A. Hua, M. A. Tantaoui, and W. Tavanapong, “Video delivery technologies for large-scale deployment of multimedia applications,” Proceedings of the IEEE, vol. 92, no. 9, pp. 1439–1451, 2004.
- J. W. Wong, “Broadcast delivery,” Proceedings of the IEEE, vol. 76, no. 12, pp. 1566–1577, 1988.
- K. A. Hua and S. Sheu, “Skyscraper broadcasting: a new broadcasting scheme for metropolitan video-on-demand systems,” in Proceedings of the Conference on Communications Architectures, Protocols and Applications (SIGCOMM '97), pp. 89–100, 1997.
- L.-S. Juhn and L.-M. Tseng, “Harmonic broadcasting for video-on-demand service,” IEEE Transactions on Broadcasting, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 268–271, 1997.
- W. C. Liu and J. Y. B. Lee, “Constrained consonant broadcasting—a generalized periodic broadcasting scheme for large scale video streaming,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Multimedia & Expo, Baltimore, Md, USA, July 2003.
- E. M. Yan and T. Kameda, “An efficient VoD broadcasting scheme with user bandwidth limit,” in Proceedings of the SPIE/ACM Conference on Multimedia Computing and Networking, vol. 5019, pp. 200–208, Santa Clara, Calif, USA, 2003.
- J. Liu and J. Xu, “Proxy caching for media streaming over the internet,” IEEE Communications Magazine, vol. 42, no. 8, pp. 88–94, 2004.
- R. Tewari, H. M. Vin, A. Dan, and D. Sitaram, “Resource-based caching for web servers,” in Proceedings of the Multimedia Computing and Networking (MMCN ’98), pp. 191–204, San Jose, Calif, USA, January 1998.
- S. Sen, J. Rexford, and D. Towsley, “Proxy prefix caching for multimedia streams,” in Proceedings of the 18th Annual Joint Conference of the IEEE Computer and Communications Societie (INFOCOM '99), pp. 1310–1319, New York, NY, USA, March 1999.
- S. Chen, B. Shen, S. Wee, and X. Zhang, “Designs of high quality streaming proxy systems,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Computer Communications (INFOCOM '04), pp. 1512–1521, Hong Kong, March 2004.
- Z.-L. Zhang, Y. Wang, D. H. C. Du, and D. Su, “Video staging: a proxy-server-based approach to end-to-end video delivery over wide-area networks,” IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 429–442, 2000.
- T. Jiang, M. H. Ammar, and E. W. Zegura, “Inter-receiver fairness: a novel performance measure for multicast ABR sessions,” in Proceedings of the ACM SIGMETRICS International Conference on Measurement and Modeling of Computer Systems, vol. 26, pp. 202–211, Madison, Wis, USA, June 1998.
- R. Rejaie and J. Kangasharju, “Mocha: a quality adaptive multimedia proxy cache for Internet streaming,” in Proceedings of the 11th IEEE International Workshop on Network and Operating System Support for Digital Audio and Video, pp. 3–10, January 2001.
- J. Kangasharju, F. Hartanto, M. Reisslein, and K. W. Ross, “Distributing layered encoded video through caches,” IEEE Transactions on Computers, vol. 51, no. 6, pp. 622–636, 2002.
- T. Kim and M. H. Ammar, “A comparison of layering and stream replication video multicast schemes,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Workshop on Network and Operating System Support for Digital Audio and Video, pp. 63–72, New York, NY, USA, 2001.
- F. Hartanto, J. Kangasharju, M. Reisslein, and K. W. Ross, “Caching video objects: layers vs. versions,” in Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo (ICME '02), vol. 2, pp. 45–48, Lausanne, Switzerland, August 2002.
- K.-M. Ho, W.-F. Poon, and K.-T. Lo, “Performance study of large-scale video streaming services in highly heterogeneous environment,” IEEE Transactions on Broadcasting, vol. 53, no. 4, pp. 763–773, 2007.
- J. H. Holland, Adaptation in Natural and Artificial Systems, The MIT Press, Cambridge, Mass, USA, 1975.
- K.-S. Tang, K.-T. Ko, S. Chan, and E. W. M. Wong, “Optimal file placement in VOD system using genetic algorithm,” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 48, no. 5, pp. 891–897, 2001.
- W. K. S. Tang, E. W. M. Wong, S. Chan, and K.-T. Ko, “Optimal video placement scheme for batching VOD services,” IEEE Transactions on Broadcasting, vol. 50, no. 1, pp. 16–25, 2004.
- J. I. Kimura, F. A. Tobagi, J. M. Pulido, and P. J. Emstad, “Perceived quality and bandwidth characterization of layered MPEG-2 video encoding,” in International Symposium Voice, Video and Data Communications, vol. 3845 of Proceedings of SPIE, pp. 308–319, Boston, Mass, USA, 1999.
- A. Ganjam and H. Zhang, “Internet multicast video delivery,” Proceedings of the IEEE, vol. 93, no. 1, pp. 159–170, 2005.
- C. Costa, I. Cunha, A. Borges, C. Ramos, M. Rocha, J. Almeida, and B. Ribeiro-Neto, “Analyzing client interactivity in streaming media,” in Proceedings of the 13th International World Wide Web Conference Proceedings (WWW '04), pp. 534–543, May 2004.
- G. Zipf, Human Behavior and the Principle of Least Effort, Addison-Wesley, Reading, Mass, USA, 1949.
- J. Medhi, Stochastic Process, Wiley InterScience, New York, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 1994.
- Z. Michalewicz, Genetic Algorithms + Data Structures = Evolution Program, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 3rd edition, 1996.
- D. E. Goldberg, Genetic Algorithms in Search, Optimization, and Machine Learning, Addison-Wesley, London, UK, 1989.
- K. F. Man, K. S. Tang, and S. Kwong, Genetic Algorithm: Concepts and Designs, Springer, London, UK, 1999.
- C. R. Reeves, “Using genetic algorithms with small populations,” in Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Genetic Algorithms (ICGA '93), pp. 92–99, 1993.
- GAlib, http://lancet.mit.edu/ga/.
- R. Rejaie, M. Handley, and D. Estrin, “Layered quality adaptation for Internet video streaming,” IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, vol. 18, no. 12, pp. 2530–2543, 2000.
- H. Schwarz, D. Marpe, and T. Wiegand, “Overview of the scalable video coding extension of the H.264/AVC standard,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, vol. 17, no. 9, pp. 1103–1120, 2007.