- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Digital Multimedia Broadcasting
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 904072, 13 pages
Multi-Resolution Multimedia QoE Models for IPTV Applications
1Ohio Supercomputer Center/OARnet, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
2Huawei Technologies, Shenzhen 518129, China
Received 2 April 2011; Accepted 27 September 2011
Academic Editor: Thomas Magedanz
Copyright © 2012 Prasad Calyam et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. Jopling and A. Sabia, “Forecast: IPTV subscribers and service revenue, worldwide, 2004–2010,” Gartner IPTV Market Report, 6 pages, 2006.
- J. Klaue, B. Rathke, and A. Wolisz, “EvalVid—A framework for video transmission and quality evaluation,” in Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Modelling Techniques and Tools for Computer Performance Evaluation, pp. 255–272, 2003.
- ITU-T Recommendation J.144, “Objective perceptual video quality measurement techniques for digital cable television in the presence of a full reference,” 2001.
- “Subjective audiovisual quality assessment methods for multimedia applications,” ITU-T Rec. P.911, 1998.
- P. Calyam, M. Haffner, E. Ekici, and C. G. Lee, “Measuring interaction QoE in Internet videoconferencing,” IEEE MMNS, vol. 4787, pp. 14–25, 2007.
- G. M. Muntean, P. Perry, and L. Murphy, “Subjective assessment of the quality-oriented adaptive scheme,” IEEE Transactions on Broadcasting, vol. 51, no. 3, pp. 276–286, 2005.
- X. Lu, S. Tao, M. Zarki, and R. Guerin, “Quality-based adaptive video over the Internet,” in Proceedings of the CNDS, 2003.
- M. Ghanbari, D. Crawford, M. Fleury, et al., “Future performance of video codecs,” in Ofcom Research Report (SES2006-7-13), 2006.
- X. Hei, C. Liang, J. Liang, Y. Liu, and K. W. Ross, “A measurement study of a large-scale P2P IPTV system,” IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, vol. 9, no. 8, pp. 1672–1687, 2007.
- M. Claypool and J. Tanner, “The effects of jitter on the perceptual quality of video,” in Proceedings of the ACM Multimedia, pp. 115–118, New York, NY, USA =, 1999.
- Y. Won and M. Choi, “End-User IPTV traffic measurement of residential broadband access networks,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Workshop on End-to-End Monitoring Techniques and Services, pp. 95–100, Salvador, Bahia, Brazil, 2008.
- S. Winkler and R. Campos, “Video quality evaluation for Internet streaming applications,” Human Vision and Electronic Imaging, vol. 3, pp. 104–115, 2003.
- S. Mohamed and G. Rubino, “A study of real-time packet video quality using random neural networks,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, vol. 12, no. 12, pp. 1071–1083, 2002.
- M. H. Pinson and S. Wolf, “A new standardized method for objectively measuring video quality,” IEEE Transactions on Broadcasting, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 312–322, 2004.
- “The E-Model: a computational model for use in transmission planning,” ITU-T Rec. G.107, 1998.
- A. P. Markopoulou, F. A. Tobagi, and M. J. Karam, “Assessment of VoIP quality over Internet backbones,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Infocom, pp. 150–159, June 2002.
- S. Tao, J. Apostolopoulos, and R. Guérin, “Real-time monitoring of video quality in IP networks,” IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 1052–1065, 2008.
- F. Massidda, D. D. Giusto, and C. Perra, “No reference video quality estimation based on human visual system for 2.5/3G devices,” in Proceedings of the SPIE and T Electronic Imaging, pp. 168–179, January 2005.
- H. J. Kim and S. G. Choi, “A study on a QoS/QoE correlation model for QoE evaluation on IPTV service,” in Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Advanced Communication Technology (ICACT '10), pp. 1377–1382, February 2010.
- V. Menkovski, A. Oredope, A. Liotta, and A. Cuadra, “Predicting quality of experience in multimedia streaming,” in Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Advances in Mobile Computing and Multimedia, (MoMM '09), pp. 52–59, December 2009.
- S. Balasubramaniam, J. Mineraud, P. McDonagh, et al., “An evaluation of parameterized gradient based routing with QoE monitoring for multiple IPTV providers,” IEEE Transactions on Broadcasting, vol. 57, no. 2, pp. 183–194, 2011.
- H. Demuth and M. Beale, Matlab Neural Network Toolbox User’s Guide, The MathWorks, 2000.
- A. Takahashi, D. Hands, and V. Barriac, “Standardization activities in the ITU for a QoE assessment of IPTV,” IEEE Communications Magazine, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 78–84, 2008.
- “VLC media player,” http://www.videolan.org/vlc.
- S. Hemminger, “Netem—Emulating real networks in the lab,” in Proceedings of the Linux Conference, Australia, 2005.
- J. Bellardo and S. Savage, “Measuring packet reordering,” in Proceedings of the 2nd ACM SIGCOMM Internet Measurement Workshop (IMW '02), pp. 97–105, November 2002.
- P. Calyam, M. Sridharan, W. Mandrawa, and P. Schopis, “Performance measurement and analysis of h.323 traffic,” in Proceedings of the Passive and Active Measurement Workshop, vol. 3015, pp. 137–146, 2004.
- T. Friedman, R. Caceres, and A. Clark, “RTP control protocol extended reports (RTCP XR),” IETF RFC 3611, 2003.