- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 154737, 16 pages
VirtualSense: A Java-Based Open Platform for Ultra-Low-Power Wireless Sensor Nodes
Department of Base Sciences and Fundamentals (DiSBef), University of Urbino, 61029 Urbino, Italy
Received 1 August 2012; Accepted 3 October 2012
Academic Editor: Yanmin Zhu
Copyright © 2012 Emanuele Lattanzi and Alessandro Bogliolo. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. Lattanzi and A. Bogliolo, “WSN design for unlimited lifetime,” in Sustainable Energy Harvesting Technologies: Past, Present and Future, Y. K. g Tan, Ed., InTech, 2011.
- R. Müller, G. Alonso, and D. Kossmann, “A virtual machine for sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the 2nd ACM SIGOPS/EuroSys European Conference on Computer Systems (EuroSys '07), pp. 145–158, prt, March 2007.
- D. Simon, C. Cifuentes, D. Cleal, J. Daniels, and D. White, “Java™ on the bare metal of wireless sensor devices the squawk java virtual machine,” in Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Virtual Execution Environments (VEE '06), pp. 78–88, June 2006.
- P. Levis, D. Gay, and D. Culler, “Active sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the 2nd conference on Symposiumon Networked Systems Design & Implementation, vol. 2, pp. 343–356, USENIX Association, 2005.
- A. Dunkels, B. Grönvall, and T. Voigt, “Contiki—a lightweight and flexible operating system for tiny networked sensors,” in Proceedings of the 29th Annual IEEE International Conference on Local Computer Networks, (LCN '04), pp. 455–462, usa, November 2004.
- N. Brouwers, P. Corke, and K. Langendoen, “Darjeeling, a Java compatible virtual machine for microcontrollers,” in Proceedings of the ACM/IFIP/USENIX Middleware Conference Companion, pp. 18–23, 2008.
- E. Lattanzi and A. Bogliolo, “Ultra-low-power sensor nodes featuring a virtual runtime environment,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Communications (E2Nets-ICC '12), 2012.
- J. M. Kahn, R. H. Katz, and K. S. J. Pister, “Next century challenges: mobile networking for smart dust,” in Proceedings of the ACM/IEEE International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking (ACM/IEEE MobiCom '99), pp. 271–278, 1999.
- S. Hollar, COTS dust [M.S. thesis], University of California, Berkeley, Calif, USA, 2002.
- J. Polastre, R. Szewczyk, and D. Culler, “Telos: enabling ultra-low power wireless research,” in Proceedings of the 4th International Symposium on Information Processing in Sensor Networks, (IPSN ’05), pp. 364–369, usa, April 2005.
- J. Beutel, O. Kasten, and M. Ringwald, “Poster abstract: BTnodes—a distributed platform for sensor nodes,” in Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems (SenSys '03), pp. 292–293, November 2003.
- H. Dubois-Ferrière, R. Meier, L. Fabre, and P. Metrailler, “TinyNode: a comprehensive platform for wireless sensor network applications,” in Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Information Processing in Sensor Networks, (IPSN '06), pp. 358–365, April 2006.
- “Iris datasheet,” http://bullseye.xbow.com:81/Products/Product_pdf_files/Wireless_pdf/IRIS_Datasheet.pdf.
- A. Gonzlez, R. Aquino, W. Mata, A. Ochoa, P. Saldaa, and A. Edwards, “Open-wise: a solar powered wireless sensor network platform,” Sensors, vol. 12, pp. 8204–8217, 2012.
- R. Jurdak, K. Klues, B. Kusy, C. Richter, K. Langendoen, and M. Brnig, “Opal: a multiradio platform for high throughput wireless sensor networks,” Proceedings of Embedded Systems Letters, pp. 121–124, 2011.
- L. Nachman, R. Kling, R. Adler, J. Huang, and V. Hummel, “The Intel mote platform: a Bluetooth-based sensor network for industrial monitoring,” in Proceedings of the 4th International Symposium on Information Processing in Sensor Networks, (IPSN '05), pp. 437–442, April 2005.
- R. Adler, M. Flanigan, J. Huang, et al., “Demo abstract: intel mote 2: an advanced platform for demanding sensor network applications,” in Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems (ACM SenSys '05), p. 298, 2005.
- D. Lymberopoulos and A. Savvides, “XYZ: a motion-enabled, power aware sensor node platform for distributed sensor network applications,” in Proceedings of the 4th International Symposium on Information Processing in Sensor Networks, (IPSN '05), pp. 449–454, April 2005.
- Texas Instruments MSP430F54xxA Mixed Signal Microcontroller datasheet http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/msp430f5418a.pdf.
- “Microchip 24AA025E48 Extended Unique Identifier datasheet,” http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/22124D.pdf.
- “Microchip 24AA512 serial 512K EEPROM datasheet,” http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/devicedoc/21754e.pdf.
- “Texas Instruments CC2520 datasheet,” http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/cc2520.pdf.
- “NXP PCF2123 ultra low-power real time clock/calendar datasheet,” http://www.nxp.com/documents/data_sheet/PCF2123.pdf.
- “FTDI FT232R datasheet,” http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Documents/DataSheets/ICs/DS_FT232R.pdf.
- “BH1620FVC Analog current output ambient light sensor datasheet,” http://www.rohm.com/products/databook/sensor/pdf/bh1620fvc-e.pdf.
- “Texas Instruments LM19 temperature sensor datasheet,” http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm19.pdf.
- “HIH-50301 Low Voltage Humidity Sensors datasheet,” http://sensing.honeywell.com/index.php/ci_id/49692/la_id/1/document/1/re_id/0.
- A. Dunkels, “The ContikiMAC radio duty cycling protocol,” Tech. Rep., Swedish Institute of Computer Science, 2011.
- Texas Instruments, “MSP430x5xx/MSP430x6xx Family User's Guide,” 2012, http://www.ti.com/lit/ug/slau208j/slau208j.pdf.
- “National Instruments PC-6251 datasheet,” 2012, http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/print/p/lang/en/nid/14124.
- “National Instruments BNC-2120 datasheet,” 2012, http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/10712.
- “National Instruments PXI-4071 datasheet,” 2012, http://www.ni.com/pdf/products/us/cat_NIPXI4071.pdf.
- “Rohde & Schwarz NGMO2 datasheet,” 2012, http://www.rohde-schwarz.it/file_1800/ngmo2_21_web-LF.pdf.
- C. Intanagonwiwat, R. Govindan, D. Estrin, J. Heidemann, and F. Silva, “Directed diffusion for wireless sensor networking,” IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 2–16, 2003.