- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 175262, 13 pages
Authentication and Integrity in the Smart Grid: An Empirical Study in Substation Automation Systems
1Department of Computer Science, Xidian University, Xi’an 710071, China
2Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC 27606, USA
Received 8 March 2012; Accepted 3 April 2012
Academic Editor: Qun Li
Copyright © 2012 Xiang Lu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Office of the National Coordinator for Smart Grid Interoperability, “NIST framework and roadmap for smart grid interoperability standards, release 1.0,” NIST Special Publication 1108, 2010.
- W. Wang, Y. Xu, and M. Khanna, “A survey on the communication architectures in smart grid,” Computer Networks, vol. 55, no. 15, pp. 3604–3629, 2011.
- Y. Zhang, M. Prica, M. D. Ilic, and O. K. Tonguz, “Toward smarter current relays for power grids,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Power Engineering Society General Meeting (PES '06), June 2006.
- M. H. Albadi and E. F. El-Saadany, “Demand response in electricity markets: an overview,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Power Engineering Society General Meeting (PES '07), June 2007.
- Power Systems Engineering Research Center, The 21st Century Substation Design, PSERC Publication, 2010.
- R. Ellenbogen, “At load power factor correction,” in New York State Energy Research and Development Authority, 2009.
- Department of Agriculture, “Design guide for rural substations,” 2001.
- T. S. Sidhu, M. G. Kaanabar, and P. Parikh, “Implementation issues with iec61850 based substation automation systems,” in Proceedings of the 15th National Power Systems Conference (NPSC '08), 2008.
- IEC, IEC 61850 Communication Networks and Systems in Substations, 2003.
- EWICS, “Electric power systems cyber security: power substation case study,” in Proceedings of the European Workshop on Industrial Computer Systems, 2006.
- P. Hines, B. O’Hara, E. Cotilla-Sanchez, and C. Danforth, “Cascading failures: extreme properties of large blackouts in the electric grid,” SIAM Mathematics Awareness Month. In press.
- E. M. Brunner and M. Suter, International Critical Information Infrastructure Protection Policies Handbook 2008/2009, ETH, Zurich, Switzerland, 2008.
- Z. Lu, X. Lu, W. Wang, and C. Wang, “Review and evaluation of security threats on the communication networks in the smart grid,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Military Communications Conference (MILCOM '10), pp. 1830–1835, November 2010.
- IEC62351, “Power systems management and associated information exchange—data and communications security,” International Electrotechnical Commission, Geneva, Switzerland, 2007.
- A. Perrig, R. Canetti, D. Song, and J. D. Tygar, “Efficient and secure source authentication for multicast,” in Proceedings of the Network and Distributed System Security Symposium (NDSS '01), pp. 35–46, 2001.
- Q. Wang, H. Khurana, Y. Huang, and K. Nahrstedt, “Time valid one-time signature for time-critical multicast data authentication,” in Proceedings of the 28th Conference on Computer Communications (INFOCOM '09), pp. 1233–1241, April 2009.
- Europe Task Force Smart Grids, Expert Group 2: Regulatory Recommendations for Data Safety, Data Handling and Data Protection, 2011.
- H. Khurana, R. Bobba, T. Yardley, P. Agarwal, and E. Heine, “Design principles for power grid cyber-infrastructure authentication protocols,” in Proceedings of the 43rd Annual Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS '10), January 2010.
- L. Reyzin and N. Reyzin, “Better than BiBa: short one-time signatures with fast signing and verifying,” in Proceedings of the 17th Australasian Conference on Information Security and Privacy (ACISP '02), 2002.
- Q. Li and G. Cao, “Multicast authentication in the smart grid with one-time signature,” IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 686–696, 2011.
- V. H. Todd, Protective Relays: Their Theory, Design, and Practical Operation, 1922.
- K. Harker, Power System Commissioning and Maintenance Practice, Power Series 24, IEE, 1998.
- IEEE, “IEEE standard communication delivery time performance requirements for electric power substation automation,” IEEE Std 1646-2004, 2005.
- Y. Challal, H. Bettahar, and A. Bouabdallah, “A taxonomy of multicast data origin authentication: issues and solutions,” IEEE Communications Surveys and Tutorials, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 34–57, 2004.
- R. Canetti, J. Garay, G. Itkis, D. Micciancio, M. Naor, and B. Pinkas, “Multicast security: a taxonomy and some efficient constructions,” in Proceedings of the 18th Annual Joint Conference of the IEEE Computer and Communications Societie (INFOCOM '99), pp. 708–716, March 1999.
- A. Perrig, R. Canetti, J. D. Tygar, and D. Song, “Efficient authentication and signing of multicast streams over lossy channels,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy, pp. 56–73, May 2000.
- R. L. Rivest, A. Shamir, and L. Adleman, “method for obtaining digital signatures and public-key cryptosystems,” Communications of the ACM, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 120–126, 1978.
- R. C. Merkle, “A certified digital signature,” in Proceedings of the Advances in Cryptology (CRYPTO '89), 1989.
- A. Perrig, “The BiBa one-time signature and broadcast authentication protocol,” in Proceedings of the 8th ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security (CCS '01), pp. 28–37, November 2001.
- D. Naor, A. Shenhav, and A. Wool, “One-time signatures revisited: have they become practical,” Tech. Rep., 2005.
- Z. Lu, W. Wang, and C. Wang, “From jammer to gambler: modeling and detection of jamming attacks against time-critical traffic,” in Proceedings of the 30th IEEE International Conference on Computer Communications, Joint Conference of the IEEE Computer and Communications Societies (INFOCOM '11), pp. 1871–1879, Shanghai, China, April 2011.
- OPENSSL, http://www.openssl.org/.
- V. C. Gungor and F. C. Lambert, “A survey on communication networks for electric system automation,” Computer Networks, vol. 50, no. 7, pp. 877–897, 2006.
- B. Akyol, H. Kirkham, S. Clements, and M. Hardley, A Survey of Wireless Communications for the Electric Power System, 2010.
- NIST Smart Grid, “Smart grid panel agrees on standards and guidelines for wireless communication, meter upgrades,” News Release, 2011.
- Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, “SEL-3530-4,” http://www.selinc.com/sel-3530/.
- C. Szilagyi and P. Koopman, “Flexible multicast authentication for time-triggered embedded control network applications,” in Proceedings of the IEEE/IFIP International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks (DSN '09), pp. 165–174, July 2009.
- T. S. Sidhu and Y. Yin, “IED modelling for IEC61850 based substation automation system performance simulation,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Power Engineering Society General Meeting (PES '06), June 2006.
- A. Apostolov, “Testing of complex IEC 61850 based substation automation systems,” International Journal of Reliability and Safety, vol. 2, no. 1-2, pp. 51–63, 2008.