- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 271860, 12 pages
Survey: Discovery in Wireless Sensor Networks
Department of Computer Science, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Received 16 July 2011; Revised 7 October 2011; Accepted 13 October 2011
Academic Editor: Yuhang Yang
Copyright © 2012 Valerie Galluzzi and Ted Herman. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. F. Moore, “The firing squad synchronization problem,” in Sequential Machines, E. F. Moore, Ed., pp. 213–214, Addison-Wesley, 1964.
- L. Gasieniec, A. Pelc, and D. Peleg, “Wakeup problem in synchronous broadcast systems,” in Proceedings of the 19th Annual ACM Symposium on Principles of Distributed Computing (PODC ’00), pp. 113–121, 2000.
- S. J. Mullender and P. M. B. Vitányi, “Distributed match-making,” Algorithmica, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 367–391, 1988.
- D. K. Gifford, “Weighted voting for replicated data,” in Proceedings of the 7th ACM Symposium on Operating Systems Principles (SOSP ’79), pp. 150–162, 1979.
- M. Maekawa, “A algorithm for mutual exclusion in a decentralized systems,” ACM Transactions on Computer Systems, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 145–159, 1985.
- P. Dutta and D. Culler, “Practical asynchronous neighbor discovery and rendezvous for mobile sensing applications,” in Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems (SenSys ’08), pp. 71–84, 2008.
- M. J. McGlynn and S. A. Borbash, “Birthday protocols for low energy deployment and flexible neighbor discovery in ad hoc wireless networks,” in Proceedings of the 2nd ACM Interational Symposium on Mobile Ad Hoc Networking and Computing (MobiHoc ’01), pp. 137–145, October 2001.
- S. Fang, S. M. Berber, and A. K. Swain, “Analysis of neighbor discovery protocols for energy distribution estimations in wireless sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC ’08), pp. 4386–4390, 2008.
- S. Vasudevan, D. Towsley, D. Goeckel, and R. Khalili, “Neighbor discovery in wireless networks and the coupon collector's problem,” in Proceedings of the 15th Annual International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking (MOBICOM ’09), pp. 181–192, September 2009.
- T. Herman, S. Pemmaraju, L. Pilard, and M. Mjelde, “Temporal partition in sensor networks,” in Stabilization, Safety, and Security of Distributed Systems (SSS ’07), vol. 4838 of Springer Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 2007.
- A. Kandhalu, K. Lakshmanan, and R. Rajkumar, “U-connect: a low-latency energy-efficient asynchronous neighbor discovery protocol,” in Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Information Processing in Sensor Networks (IPSN ’10), pp. 350–361, April 2010.
- M. Bakht and R. Kravets, “SearchLight: asynchronous neighbor discovery using systematic probing,” Mobile Computing and Communications Review, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 31–33, 2010.
- R. Zheng, J. C. Hou, and L. Sha, “Asynchronous wakeup for ad hoc networks,” in Proceedings of the 4th ACM International Symposium on Mobile Ad Hoc Networking (MOBIHOC ’03), pp. 35–45, June 2003.
- M. Bradonjić, E. Kohler, and R. Ostrovsky, “Near-optimal radio use for wireless network synchronization,” in Algorithmic Aspects of Wireless Sensor Networks (ALGOSENSORS ’09), vol. 5804 of Springer Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pp. 15–28, 2009.
- Y. C. Tseng, C. S. Hsu, and T. Y. Hsieh, “Power-saving protocols for IEEE 802.11-based multi-hop ad hoc networks,” in Proceedings of the 21st Annual Joint Conference of the IEEE Computer and Communication Society, 2002.
- I. Niven, H. S. Zuckerman, and H. L. Montgomery, An Introduction to the Theory of Numbers, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1991.
- P. Levis, N. Lee, M. Welsh, and D. Culler, “TOSSIM: accurate and scalable simulation of entire TinyOS applications,” in Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems (SenSys’ 03), pp. 126–137, November 2003.
- V. Shnayder, M. Hempstead, B. R. Chen, G. W. Allen, and M. Welsh, “Simulating the power consumption of large-scale sensor network applications,” in Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems (SenSys ’04), pp. 188–200, November 2004.
- Sensor Andrew, http://www.ices.cmu.edu/censcir/sensor-andrew/.
- nRF24 series data sheet, Nordic Semiconductor, http://www.nordicsemi.com.
- CC2500 data sheet, Texas Instruments, http://www.ti.com.
- CC2420 data sheet, Texas Instruments, http://www.ti.com.
- MSP430 data sheets, Texas Instruments, http://www.ti.com.
- ATMEGA128 data sheet, http://www.atmel.com.
- M. Kohvakka, J. Suhonen, M. Kuorilehto, V. Kaseva, M. Hännikäinen, and T. D. Hämäläinen, “Energy-efficient neighbor discovery protocol for mobile wireless sensor networks,” Ad Hoc Networks, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 24–41, 2009.
- J. Polastre, J. Hill, and D. Culler, “Versatile low power media access for wireless sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems (SenSys ’04), pp. 95–107, November 2004.
- W. Ye, F. Silva, and J. Heidemann, “Ultra-low duty cycle MAC with scheduled channel polling,” in Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems (SenSys ’06), pp. 321–334, November 2006.
- J. W. Hui and D. Culler, “The dynamic behavior of a data dissemination protocol for network programming at scale,” in Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems (SenSys ’04), pp. 81–94, November 2004.