- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 286981, 17 pages
Adaptive WSN Scheduling for Lifetime Extension in Environmental Monitoring Applications
UCD Complex and Adaptive Systems Laboratory, UCD School of Computer Science and Informatics, University College Dublin, Ireland
Received 15 June 2011; Accepted 27 August 2011
Academic Editor: Yuhang Yang
Copyright © 2012 Jong Chern Lim and Chris Bleakley. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- I. F. Akyildiz, W. Su, Y. Sankarasubramaniam, and E. Cayirci, “Wireless sensor networks: a survey,” Computer Networks, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 393–422, 2002.
- V. Shnayder, M. Hempstead, B. R. Chen, G. W. Allen, and M. Welsh, “Simulating the power consumption of large-scale sensor network applications,” Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems (SenSys '04), pp. 188–200, 2004.
- W. Ye, J. Heidemann, and D. Estrin, “An energy-efficient MAC protocol for wireless sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the 21st Annual Joint Conference of the IEEE Computer and Communications Societies. (IEEE INFOCOM '02), vol. 3, pp. 1567–1576, 2002.
- J. Polastre, J. Hill, and D. Culler, “Versatile low power media access for wireless sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems(SenSys '04), pp. 95–107, 2004.
- W. Ye, J. Heidemann, and D. Estrin, “Medium access control with coordinated adaptive sleeping for wireless sensor networks,” IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 493–506, 2004.
- F. X. Li, A. Islam, G. C. Perera, and P. K. Kolli, “Real-time urban bridge health monitoring using a fixed wireless mesh network,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Radio and Wireless Symposium (RWW '10), pp. 384–387, January 2010.
- A. Mainwaring, J. Polastre, R. Szewczyk, D. Culler, and J. Anderson, “Wireless sensor networks for habitat monitoring,” in Proceedings of the 1st ACM International Workshop on Wireless Sensor Networks and Applications, pp. 88–97, 2002.
- D. Ingraham, R. Beresford, K. Kaluri, M. Ndoh, and K. Srinivasan, “Wireless sensors: oyster habitat monitoring in the bras d'Or lakes,” Distributed Computing in Sensor Systems, vol. 3560, pp. 399–400, 2005.
- A. Nadamani, P. Basu, and L. Tong, “Extremum tracking in sensor fields with spatio-temporal correlation,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Military Communications Conference (MILCOM '10), pp. 1050–1055, 2010.
- R. Brown and V. Swail, “Spatial correlation of marine wind-speed observations,” Atmosphere-Ocean, vol. 26, pp. 524–540, 1988.
- G. Dubois, M. Saisana, A. Chaloulakou, and N. Spyrellis, “Spatial correlation analysis of nitrogen dioxide concentrations in the area of Milan, Italy,” in Proceedings of the 1st Biennial Meeting of the International Modeling and Software Society, pp. 176–183, 2002.
- T. Dang, N. Bulusu, and F. W. Rida, “A robust information-driven data compression architecture for irregular wireless sensor networks,” Wireless Sensor Networks, pp. 133–149, 2007.
- M. Welsh and G. Mainland, “Programming sensor networks using abstract regions,” in Proceedings of the 1st conference on Symposium on Networked Systems Design and Implementation, vol. 1, p. 3, USENIX Association, 2004.
- A. Boulis, S. Ganeriwal, and M. B. Srivastava, “Aggregation in sensor networks: an energy-accuracy trade-off,” Ad Hoc Networks, vol. 1, no. 2-3, pp. 317–331, 2003.
- M. Cardei, My. T. Thai, Y. Li, and W. Wu, “Energy-efficient target coverage in wireless sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the 24th Annual Joint Conference of the IEEE Computer and Communications Societies (IEEE INFOCOM '05), vol. 3, pp. 1976–1984, 2005.
- W. Wang, V. Srinivasan, K. C. Chua, and B. Wang, “Energy-efficient coverage for target detection in wireless sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the 6th International Symposium on Information Processing in Sensor Networks (IPSN '07), pp. 313–322, 2007.
- D. Tian and N. D. Georganas, “A coverage-preserving node scheduling scheme for large wireless sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the 1st ACM International Workshop on Wireless Sensor Networks and Applications, pp. 32–41, 2002.
- H. Gupta, V. Navda, S. Das, and V. Chowdhary, “Efficient gathering of correlated data in sensor networks,” ACM Transactions on Sensor Networks, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 1–31, 2008.
- S. Yoon and C. Shahabi, “The Clustered AGgregation (CAG) technique leveraging spatial and temporal correlations in wireless sensor networks,” ACM Transactions on Sensor Networks, vol. 3, no. 1, Article ID 1210672, p. 3, 2007.
- A. Jain and E. Y. Chang, “Adaptive sampling for sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the 1st International Workshop on Data Management for Sensor Networks (DMSN '04), pp. 10–16, August 2004.
- P. Tillapart, T. Yeophantong, T. Techachaicherdchoo, T. Thumthawatworn, and U. Udomkul, “Adaptive working schedule modeling for wireless sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Aerospace Conference, vol. 9, March 2006.
- M. Li, D. Ganesan, and P. Shenoy, “Presto: feedback-driven data management in sensor networks,” IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 1256–1269, 2009.
- S. B. Roy, G. Das, and S. Das, “Computing best coverage path in the presence of obstacles in a sensor field,” Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 4619, pp. 577–588, 2007.
- D. Chu, A. Deshpande, J. M. Hellerstein, and W. Hong, “Approximate data collection in sensor networks using probabilistic models,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Data Engineering, vol. 2006, p. 48, 2006.
- L. B. Yann-Ael and B. Gianluca, “Round robin cycle for predictions in wireless sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Intelligent Sensors, Sensor Networks and Information Processing (ISSNIP '05), vol. 2005, pp. 253–258, Melbourne, Australia, 2005.
- J. C. Lim and C. J. Bleakley, “Extending the lifetime of sensor networks using prediction and scheduling,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Intelligent Sensors, Sensor Networks and Information Processing (ISSNIP '08), pp. 563–568, December 2008.
- X. Meng, T. Nandagopal, L. Li, and S. Lu, “Contour maps: monitoring and diagnosis in sensor networks,” Computer Networks, vol. 50, no. 15, pp. 2820–2838, 2006.
- A. Deshpande, C. Guestrin, S. Madden, J. Hellerstein, and W. Hong, “Model-driven data acquisition in sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the 30th International Conference on Very Large Data Bases, vol. 30, pp. 588–599, VLDB Endowment, 2004.
- D. Apiletti, E. Baralis, and T. Cerquitelli, “Energy-saving models for wireless sensor networks,” Knowledge and Information Systems, pp. 1–30, 2010.
- E. Baralis, T. Cerquitelli, and V. D'Elia, “Modeling a sensor network by means of clustering,” in Proceedings of the 18th International Workshop on Database and Expert Systems Applications (DEXA '07), pp. 177–181, September 2007.
- Y. Panthachai and P. Keeratiwintakorn, “An energy model for transmission in Telos-based wireless sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the International Joint Conference on Computer Science and Software Engineering (JCSSE '07), 2007.
- W. Bober and C. Bleakley, “Bailigh: low power cross-layer data gathering protocol for wireless sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Ultra Modern Telecommunications and Workshops (ICUMT '09), pp. 1–7, 2009.
- J. Shi and J. Malik, “Normalized cuts and image segmentation,” IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, vol. 22, no. 8, pp. 888–905, 2000.
- “Wireless distributed sensing system for environmental monitoring, Luce deployment,” http://sensorscope.epfl.ch/index.php/Environmental_Data.
- G. Lu, B. Krishnamachari, and C. S. Raghavendra, “An adaptive energy-efficient and low-latency MAC for data gathering in wireless sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the 18th International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS '04), vol. 18, 2004.