- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 304329, 12 pages
An Energy-Efficient MAC Protocol Employing Dynamic Threshold for Wireless Sensor Networks
College of Information and Communication Engineering, Sungkyunkwan University, Suwon 440-746, Republic of Korea
Received 14 June 2012; Accepted 8 September 2012
Academic Editor: Yingshu Li
Copyright © 2012 Kyung Tae Kim and Hee Yong Youn. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- I. F. Akyildiz, W. Su, Y. Sankarasubramaniam, and E. Cayirci, “Wireless sensor networks: a survey,” Computer Networks, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 393–422, 2002.
- A. Mainwaring, J. Polastre, R. Szewczyk, D. Culler, and J. Anderson, “Wireless sensor networks for habitat monitoring,” in Proceedings of the 1st ACM International Workshop on Wireless Sensor Networks and Applications, pp. 88–97, Atlanta, Ga, USA, September 2002.
- C. Pandana, Ph.D. thesis, University of Maryland, College Park, 2005.
- D. Kumar, T. C. A. Patel, and R. B. Patel, “Prolonging network lifetime and data accumulation in heterogeneous sensor networks,” International Arab Journal of Information Technology, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 302–309, 2010.
- W. B. Heinzelman, A. P. Chandrakasan, and H. Balakrishnan, “An application-specific protocol architecture for wireless microsensor networks,” IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 660–670, 2002.
- M. H. Jo, H. Y. Youn, S. H. Cha, and H. S. Choo, “Mobile RFID tag detection influence factors and prediction of tag detectability,” IEEE Sensors Journal, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 112–119, 2009.
- D. Li, K. D. Wong, Y. H. Hu, and A. M. Sayeed, “Detection, classification, and tracking of targets,” IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 17–29, 2002.
- K. T. Kim, H. K. Yoo, B. H. Son, and H. Y. Youn, “An energy efficient clustering scheme for self-organizing distributed wireless sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the 10th IEEE International Conference on Computer and Information Technology (CIT), pp. 1468–1473, Bradford, UK, July 2010.
- R. Min, M. Bhardwaj, S. H. Cho et al., “Energy-centric enabling technologies for wireless sensor networks,” IEEE Wireless Communications, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 28–39, 2002.
- M. Jo, H. Y. Youn, and H. H. Chen, “Intelligent RFID tag detection using support vector machine,” IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, vol. 8, no. 10, pp. 5050–5059, 2009.
- M. I. Brownfield, T. Nelson, S. Midkiff, and N. J. Davis IV, “Wireless sensor network radio power management and simulation models,” The Open Electrical and Electronic Engineering Journal, vol. 4, pp. 21–31, 2010.
- A. C. Santos, F. Bendali, J. Mailfert, C. Duhamel, and K. M. Hou, “Heuristics for designing energy-efficient wireless sensor network topologies,” Journal of Networks, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 436–444, 2009.
- C. Li, M. Ye, G. Chen, and J. Wu, “An energy-efficient unequal clustering mechanism for wireless sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Mobile Ad-hoc and Sensor Systems (MASS), pp. 604–613, Washington, DC, USA, November 2005.
- O. Younis and S. Fahmy, “HEED: a hybrid, energy-efficient, distributed clustering approach for ad hoc sensor networks,” IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 366–379, 2004.
- E. H. Jung, S. H. Lee, J. W. Choi, and Y. J. Park, “A cluster head selection algorithm adopting sensing-awareness and sensor density for wireless sensor networks,” IEICE Transactions on Communications, vol. 90, no. 9, pp. 2472–2480, 2007.
- K. T. Kim and H. Y. Youn, “PEACH: proxy-enable adaptive clustering hierarchy for wireless sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Wireless Networks (ICWN'05), pp. 52–56, June 2005.
- M. K. Jha, A. K. Pandey, D. Pal, and A. Mohan, “An energy-efficient multi-layer MAC (ML-MAC) protocol for wireless sensor networks,” AEU—International Journal of Electronics and Communications, vol. 65, no. 3, pp. 209–216, 2011.
- S. Ray, I. Demirkol, and W. Heinzelman, “ADV-MAC: advertisement-based MAC protocol for wireless sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Mobile Ad-hoc and Sensor Networks (MSN'09), pp. 265–272, Fujian, China, December 2009.
- W. Ye, J. Heidemann, and D. Estrin, “Medium access control with coordinated adaptive sleeping for wireless sensor networks,” IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 493–506, 2004.
- S. N. Parmar, S. Nandi, and A. R. Chowdhury, “Power efficient and low latency MAC for wireless sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the 3rd Annual IEEE Communications Society on Sensor and Ad hoc Communications and Networks (Secon'06), pp. 940–944, Reston, Va, USA, September 2006.
- A. Roy and N. Sarma, “Energy saving in MAC layer of wireless sensor networks: a survey,” in Proceedings of the National Workshop in Design and Analysis of Algorithm (NWDAA), Tezpur University, Assam, India, 2010.
- I. Demirkol, C. Ersoy, and F. Alagöz, “MAC protocols for wireless sensor networks: a survey,” IEEE Communications Magazine, vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 115–121, 2006.
- C. Ceken, “An energy efficient and delay sensitive centralized MAC protocol for wireless sensor networks,” Computer Standards and Interfaces, vol. 30, no. 1-2, pp. 20–31, 2008.
- Y. Z. Zhao, M. Ma, C. Y. Miao, and T. N. Nguyen, “An energy-efficient and low-latency MAC protocol with adaptive scheduling for multi-hop wireless sensor networks,” Computer Communications, vol. 33, no. 12, pp. 1452–1461, 2010.
- S. Tilak, N. B. Abu-Ghazaleh, and W. Heinzelman, “Infrastructure tradeoffs for sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the 1st ACM International Workshop on Wireless Sensor Networks and Applications(WSNA'02), pp. 49–58, Atlanta, Ga, USA, 2002.
- A. Varga, “The OMNeT++ discrete event simulation system,” in Proceedings of the European Simulation Multiconference (ESM'01), pp. 319–324, Prague, Czech Republic, 2001.
- W. Ye, J. Heidemann, and D. Estrin, “An energy-efficient MAC protocol for wireless sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the 21st Annual Joint Conference of the IEEE Computer and Communications Societies (INFOCOM), vol. 3, pp. 1567–1576, 2002.
- T. van Dam and K. Langendoen, “An adaptive energy-efficient MAC protocol for wireless sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems (SenSys'03), pp. 171–180, November 2003.
- G. P. Halkes, T. van Dam, and K. G. Langendoen, “Comparing energy-saving MAC protocols for wireless sensor networks,” Mobile Networks and Applications, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 783–791, 2005.
- S. Singh and C. S. Raghavendra, “PAMAS—power aware multi-access protocol with signalling for ad hoc networks,” ACM SIGCOMM Computer Communication Review, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 5–26, 1998.
- M. Stojmenovic and A. Nayak, “Localized routing with guaranteed delivery and a realistic physical layer in wireless sensor networks,” Computer Communications, vol. 29, no. 13-14, pp. 2550–2555, 2006.
- W. Ye, J. Heidemann, and D. Estrin, “Medium acess control with coordinated adaptive sleeping for wireless sensor networks,” USC/ISI Technical Report ISI-TR-567, 2003.