- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 409048, 7 pages
Real-Time Train Wheel Condition Monitoring by Fiber Bragg Grating Sensors
1Department of Electronic Engineering, Shantou University, Guangdong 515063, China
2Department of Applied Mathematics, Université catholique de Louvain 1348, Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium
3Department of Electrical Engineering, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Kowloon, Hong Kong
Received 25 July 2011; Accepted 8 August 2011
Academic Editor: Tai Hoon Kim
Copyright © 2012 Chuliang Wei et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. C. O. Nielsen and A. Johansson, “Out-of-round railway wheels-a literature survey,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part F: Journal of Rail and Rapid Transit, vol. 214, no. 2, pp. 79–91, 2000.
- F. Attivissimo, A. Danese, N. Giaquinto, and P. Sforza, “A railway measurement system to evaluate the wheel-rail interaction quality,” IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, vol. 56, no. 5, pp. 1583–1589, 2007.
- A. Johansson and J. C. O. Nielsen, “Out-of-round railway wheels—wheel-rail contact forces and track response derived from field tests and numerical simulations,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part F: Journal of Rail and Rapid Transit, vol. 217, no. 2, pp. 135–145, 2003.
- A. Johansson, “Out-of-round railway wheels-assessment of wheel tread irregularities in train traffic,” Journal of Sound and Vibration, vol. 293, no. 3–5, pp. 795–806, 2006.
- M. Guagliano and M. Pau, “An experimental-numerical approach for the analysis of internally cracked railway wheels,” Wear, vol. 265, no. 9-10, pp. 1387–1395, 2008.
- P. Remington and J. Webb, “Estimation of wheel/rail interaction forces in the contact area due to roughness,” Journal of Sound and Vibration, vol. 193, no. 1, pp. 83–102, 1996.
- E. Matzan, “System for detection of defects in railroad car wheels,” U.S. Patent 7213789, 2007.
- D. R. Anderson, “Detecting flat wheels with a fiber-optic sensor,” in Proceedings of the ASME/IEEE 2006 Joint Rail Conference (JRC '06), pp. 25–30, April 2006.
- H. Y. Tam, S. Y. Liu, B. O. Guan, W. H. Chung, T. H. T. Chan, and L. K. Cheng, “Fiber Bragg grating sensors for structural and railway applications,” in Advanced Sensor Systems and Applications II, vol. 5634 of Proceedings of SPIE, Beijing, China, November 2004.
- K. Y. Lee, K. K. Lee, and S. L. Ho, “Exploration of using FBG sensor for derailment detector,” WSEAS Transactions Topics Systems, vol. 3, pp. 2433–2439, 2004.
- K. Y. Lee, K. K. Lee, and S. L. Ho, “Exploration of using FBG sensor for axle counter in railway engineering,” WSEAS Transactions Topics Systems, vol. 3, pp. 2440–2447, 2004.
- H. Y. Tam, S. Y. Liu, W. H. Chung, T. K. Ho, S. L. Ho, and K. K. Lee, “Smart railway sensor network using fiber Bragg grating sensors as sensing elements,” in Smart Materials and Smart Structures Technology, vol. 1, pp. 159–169, Techno-Press, Daejeon, Korea, 2005.
- C. L. Wei, C. C. Lai, S. Y. Liu et al., “A fiber Bragg grating sensor system for train axle counting,” IEEE Sensors Journal, vol. 10, no. 12, pp. 1905–1912, 2010.
- A. D. Kersey, M. A. Davis, H. J. Patrick et al., “Fiber grating sensors,” Journal of Lightwave Technology, vol. 15, no. 8, pp. 1442–1462, 1997.
- T. H. T. Chan, L. Yu, H. Y. Tam et al., “Fiber Bragg grating sensors for structural health monitoring of Tsing Ma bridge: background and experimental observation,” Engineering Structures, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 648–659, 2006.
- E. J. Friebele, C. G. Askins, A. B. Bosse et al., “Optical fiber sensors for spacecraft applications,” Smart Materials and Structures, vol. 8, no. 6, pp. 813–838, 1999.
- N. E. Fisher, J. Surowiec, D. J. Webb et al., “In-fibre Bragg gratings for ultrasonic medical applications,” Measurement Science and Technology, vol. 8, no. 10, pp. 1050–1054, 1997.
- B. O. Guan, H. Y. Tam, and S. Y. Liu, “Temperature-independent fiber Bragg grating tilt sensor,” IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 224–226, 2004.
- Y. J. Rao, “Recent progress in applications of in-fibre Bragg grating sensors,” Optics and Lasers in Engineering, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 297–324, 1999.