- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 460924, 14 pages
The Effects of Motion on Distributed Detection in Mobile Ad Hoc Sensor Networks
School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA 30332-0250, USA
Received 22 July 2011; Revised 1 November 2011; Accepted 4 November 2011
Academic Editor: Frank Ehlers
Copyright © 2012 Xusheng Sun and Edward J. Coyle. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- X. Zhong, H. H. Chan, T. J. Rogers, C. P. Rosenberg, and E. J. Coyle, “The development and eStadium testbeds for research and development of wireless services for large-scale sports venues,” in Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Testbeds and Research Infrastructures for the Development of Networks and Communities (TRIDENTCOM '06), pp. 340–348, Barcelona, Spain, March 2006.
- X. Zhong and E. J. Coyle, “eStadium: a wireless “living lab” for safety and infotainment applications,” in Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Communications and Networking in China (ChinaCom '06), pp. 1–6, Beijing, China, October 2006.
- A. Ault, J. V. Krogmeier, S. R. Dunlop, and E. J. Coyle, “Stadium: the mobile wireless football experience,” in Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Internet and Web Applications and Services (ICIW '08), Athens, Greece, June 2008.
- “US DHS cell-all program,” http://www.dhs.gov/files/programs/gc_1268073038372.shtm.
- S. Bandyopadhyay, Q. Tian, and E. J. Coyle, “Spatio-temporal sampling rates and enery efficiency in wireless sensor networks,” IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 1339–1352, 2005.
- S. Bandyopadhyay and E. J. Coyle, “Minimizing communication costs in hierarchically-clustered networks of wireless sensors,” Computer Networks, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 1–16, 2004.
- F. Bai and A. Helmy, “A survey of mobility modeling and analysis in wireless ad hoc networks,” in Wireless Ad Hoc and Sensor Networks, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston, Mass, USA, 2004.
- T. Camp, J. Boleng, and V. Davies, “A survey of mobility models for ad hoc network research,” Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing, vol. 2, no. 5, pp. 483–502, 2002.
- S. Goldstein, “On diffusion by discontinuous movements, and on the telegraph equation,” Quarterly Journal of Mechanics and Applied Mathematics, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 129–156, 1951.
- E. Renshawn and R. Henderson, “The correlated random walk,” Journal of Applied Probability, vol. 18, pp. 403–414, 1981.
- W. Böhm, “The correlated random walk with boundaries: a combinatorial solution,” Journal of Applied Probability, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 470–479, 2000.
- A. D. Proudfoot and D. G. Lampard, “A random walk problem with correlation,” Journal of Applied Probability, vol. 9, pp. 436–440, 1972.
- R. Lal and U.N. Bhat, “Some explicit results for correlated random walks,” Journal of Applied Probability, vol. 27, pp. 757–766, 1989.
- Y. L. Zhang, “Some problems on a one-dimensonal correlated random walk with various types of barriers,” Journal of Applied Probability, vol. 29, pp. 196–201, 1992.
- S. Bandyopadhyay, E. J. Coyle, and T. Falck, “Stochastic properties of mobility models in mobile ad hoc networks,” IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, vol. 6, no. 11, pp. 1218–1229, 2007.
- H. Cai and D. Y. Eun, “Toward stochastic anatomy of inter-meeting time distribution under general mobility models,” in Proceedings of the 9th ACM International Symposium on Mobile Ad Hoc Networking and Computing (MobiHoc '08), pp. 273–282, Hong Kong, China, May 2008.
- K. Liu and A.M. Sayed, “Optimal distributed detection strategies for wireless sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the 42nd Annual Allerton Conference on Communication, Control and Computing, pp. 1651–1661, Monticello, Ill, USA, September 2004.
- Z. Q. Luo, “Universal decentralized detection in a bandwidth constrained sensor network,” IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, vol. 53, no. 8, pp. 2617–2624, 2005.
- B. Chen and P. K. Willett, “On the optimality of the likelihood-ratio test for local sensor decision rules in the presence of nonideal channels,” IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, vol. 51, no. 2, pp. 693–699, 2005.
- B. Chen, L. Tong, and P. K. Varshney, “Channel-aware distributed detection in wireless sensor networks,” IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 16–26, 2006.
- R. Niu and P. K. Varshney, “Performance analysis of distributed detection in a random sensor field,” IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, vol. 56, no. 1, pp. 339–349, 2008.
- W. Li and H. Dai, “Distributed detection in wireless sensor networks using a multiple access channel,” IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 822–833, 2007.
- S. K. Jayaweera, “Bayesian fusion performance and system optimization for distributed stochastic Gaussian signal detection under communication constraints,” IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, vol. 55, no. 4, pp. 1238–1250, 2007.
- E. B. Fox, J. W. Fisher, and A. S. Willsky, “Detection and localization of material releases with sparse sensor configurations,” IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, vol. 55, no. 5, pp. 2172–2181, 2007.
- Y. Lin, B. Chen, and B. Suter, “Robust binary quantizers for distributed detection,” IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 2172–2181, 2007.
- S. Appadwedula, V. V. Veeravalli, and D. L. Jones, “Decentralized detection with censoring sensors,” IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, vol. 56, no. 4, pp. 1362–1373, 2008.
- Y. Mei, “Asymptotic optimality theory for decentralized sequential hypothesis testing in sensor networks,” IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, vol. 54, no. 5, pp. 2072–2089, 2008.
- P. Addesso, S. Marano, and V. Matta, “Sequential sampling in sensor networks for detection with censoring nodes,” IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, vol. 55, no. 11, pp. 5497–5505, 2007.
- Y. Yao, “Group-ordered SPRT for distributed detection,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing (ICASSP '08), pp. 2525–2528, Las Vegas, Nev, USA, April 2008.
- M. F. Neuts, Matrix Geometric Solutions in Stochastic Models, Johns Hopkins University Press, London, UK, 1981.
- J. Zhang and E. J. Coyle, “Transient analysis of quasi-birth-death processes,” Communications in Statistics, vol. 5, pp. 459–496, 1989.
- J. Abate, G. L. Choudhury, and W. Whitt, “An introduction to numerical transform inversion and its application to probability models,” in Computational Probability, W. Grassman, Ed., pp. 257–323, Kluwer, Boston, Mass, USA, 1999.
- J. Abate and W. Whitt, “The Fourier-series method for inverting transforms of probability distributions,” Queueing Systems, vol. 10, no. 1-2, pp. 5–87, 1992.
- J. Abate and P. P. Valko, “Multi-precision Laplace transform inversion,” International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, vol. 60, no. 5, pp. 979–993, 2004.
- Q. Tian and E. J. Coyle, “Optimal distributed detection in clustered wireless sensor networks,” IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, vol. 55, no. 7, pp. 3892–3904, 2007.
- J. F. Chamberland and V. V. Veeravalli, “Asymptotic results for decentralized detection in power constrained wireless sensor networks,” IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 1007–1015, 2004.
- X. Sun and E. J. Coyle, “Low-complexity algorithms for event detection in wireless sensor networks,” IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, vol. 28, no. 7, Article ID 5555912, pp. 1138–1148, 2010.