- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 506810, 9 pages
An Adaptive System Supporting Collaborative Learning Based on a Location-Based Social Network and Semantic User Modeling
1Department of Computer Education, Woosuk University, Jeollabukdo 565-701, Republic of Korea
2Electronic Commerce Research Institute of Dongguk University, Gyeongsangbuk-do 780-714, Republic of Korea
Received 2 November 2011; Accepted 2 January 2012
Academic Editor: Tai Hoon Kim
Copyright © 2012 Sook-Young Choi and Jang-Mook Kang. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. Fredericksen, A. Pickett, P. Shea, W. Pelz, and K. Swan, “Learner satisfaction and perceived learning with on-line courses: principles and examples from the SUNY learning network,” Journal of Asynchronous Learning Network, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 7–41, 2000.
- L. Y. Muilenburg and Z. L. Berge, “Learner barriers to online learning: a factor analytic study,” Distance Education, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 29–48, 2005.
- V. Tinto, “Learning better together: the impact of learning communities on learner success in higher education,” Journal of Institutional Research, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 48–53, 2000.
- S. Carr, “As distance education comes of age, the challenge is keeping learners,” Chronicle of Higher Education, vol. 46, no. 23, pp. 39–41, 2000.
- D. Boyd, “The characteristics of successful on-line learners,” New Horizons in Adult Education, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 31–39, 2004.
- I. Liccard, “The role of social networks in learners’ learning experience,” SIGCSE Bulletin, pp. 224–237, 2010.
- Q. Tan, K. Yu-Lin, and Y. M. Huang, “A collaborative mobile virtual campus system based on location-based dynamic grouping,” in Proceedings of the 10th IEEE International Conference on Advanced Learning Technologies (ICALT '10), pp. 16–18, Sousse, Tunisia, July 2010.
- Y. Zheng, Y. Chen, X. Xie, and W. Y. Ma, “GeoLife2.0: a location-based social networking service,” in Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Mobile Data Management: Systems, Services and Middleware (MDM '09), pp. 357–358, Taipei, Taiwan, May 2009.
- M. Li and Z. Du, “Dynamic social networking supporting location-based services,” in In Proceedings of the International Conference on Intelligent Human-Machine Systems and Cybernetics (IHMSC '09), pp. 149–152, Hangzhou, China, August 2009.
- C. M. Chen and Y. N. Tsai, “Interactive location-based game for supporting effective English learning,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Environmental Science and Information Application Technology (ESIAT '09), pp. 523–526, Wuhan, China, July 2009.
- P. Kinnunen and L. Malmi, “Problems in problem-based learning—experiences, analysis and lessons learned on an introductory programming course,” Informatics in Education, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 193–215, 2005.
- R. Wegerif, “The social dimension of asynchronous learning networks,” Journal of ALN, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 34–49, 1998.
- D. D. Curtis and M. J. Lawson, “Exploring collaborative online learning,” Journal of Asynchronous Learning Network, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 21–34, 2001.
- S. R. Hiltz, N. Coppola, N. Rotter, and M. Turoff, “Measuring the importance of collaborative learning for the effectiveness of ALN: a multi-measure, multi-method approach,” Journal of Asynchronous Learning Network, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 103–125, 2000.
- C. Liao, F. Chen, and T. Chen, “Perspectives of university learners on cooperative learning by moodle,” International Journal of Digital Content Technology and Its Applications, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 190–197, 2011.
- A. Andrejko, M. Barla, and M. Bielikova, “Ontology-based user modeling for web-based information systems,” Information Systems Journal, vol. 2, pp. 457–468, 2007.
- J. Kay and A. Lum, “Ontology-based user modeling for the semantic web,” in Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on User Modeling (UM '05), pp. 11–19, 2005.