- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 597546, 9 pages
Field Implementation of Wireless Vibration Sensing System for Monitoring of Harbor Caisson Breakwaters
1Research Center for Ocean Industry and Development, Pukyong National University, 599-1, Daeyeon 3-dong, Nam-gu, Busan 608-737, Republic of Korea
2Department of Ocean Engineering, Pukyong National University, 599-1, Daeyeon 3-dong, Namgu, Busan 608-737, Republic of Korea
3Coastal Development & Ocean Engineering Research Division, Korea Institute of Ocean Science and Technology, Sa 2-dong, Sangrok-gu, Ansan 426-744, Republic of Korea
Received 25 September 2012; Accepted 7 November 2012
Academic Editor: Ting-Hua Yi
Copyright © 2012 Han-Sam Yoon et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), Climate Change 2007: The Physical Science Basis, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 2007.
- T. R. Knuston and R. E. Tuleya, “Impact of CO2-induced warming on simulated hurricane intensity and precipitation: sensitivity to the choice of climate model and convective parameterization,” Journal of Climate, vol. 17, no. 11, pp. 3477–3495, 2004.
- K. Emanuel, “Increasing destructiveness of tropical cyclones over the past 30 years,” Nature, vol. 436, no. 7051, pp. 686–688, 2005.
- J. B. Elsner, J. P. Kossin, and T. H. Jagger, “The increasing intensity of the strongest tropical cyclones,” Nature, vol. 455, no. 7209, pp. 92–95, 2008.
- P. J. Webster, G. J. Holland, J. A. Curry, and H. R. Chang, “Atmospheric science: changes in tropical cyclone number, duration, and intensity in a warming environment,” Science, vol. 309, no. 5742, pp. 1844–1846, 2005.
- Committee of Coastal and Ocean Engineering, “Current extent of damage due to typhoon Maemi and its countermeasure,” Civil Engineering, Korean Society of Civil Engineers, vol. 21, no. 10, pp. 28–38, 2003.
- S. Y. Lee, J. T. Kim, J. H. Yi, and Y. K. Kang, “Structural health monitoring of harbor caisson-type structures using harmony search method,” Journal of Ocean Engineering and Technology, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 122–128, 2009.
- Y. Goda and H. Takagi, “Reliability design method of caisson breakwaters with optimal wave heights,” Coastal Engineering Journal, vol. 42, no. 4, pp. 357–387, 2000.
- S. Takahashi, K. I. Shimosako, K. Kimura, and K. Suzuki, “Typical failures of composite breakwaters in Japan,” in Proceedings of the 27th International Conference on Coastal Engineering (ICCE'00), pp. 1899–1910, July 2000.
- R. D. Adams, P. Cawley, C. J. Pye, and B. J. Stone, “A vibration technique for non-destructively assessing the integrity of structures,” Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 93–100, 1978.
- N. Stubbs and R. Osegueda, “Global non-destructive damage evaluation in solids,” International Journal of Analytical and Experimental Modal Analysis, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 67–79, 1990.
- S. W. Doebling, C. R. Farrar, and M. B. Prime, “A summary review of vibration-based damage identification methods,” Shock and Vibration Digest, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 91–105, 1998.
- J. M. W. Brownjohn, P. Q. Xia, H. Hao, and Y. Xia, “Civil structure condition assessment by FE model updating: methodology and case studies,” Finite Elements in Analysis and Design, vol. 37, no. 10, pp. 761–775, 2001.
- F. N. Catbas, M. Gul, and J. L. Burkett, “Conceptual damage-sensitive features for structural health monitoring: laboratory and field demonstrations,” Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, vol. 22, no. 7, pp. 1650–1669, 2008.
- J. T. Kim and N. Stubbs, “Model-uncertainty impact and damage-detection accuracy in plate girder,” Journal of Structural Engineering, vol. 121, no. 10, pp. 1409–1417, 1995.
- A. E. Aktan, D. N. Farhey, A. J. Helmicki et al., “Structural identification for condition assessment: experimental arts,” Journal of Structural Engineering, vol. 123, no. 12, pp. 1674–1684, 1997.
- R. I. Levin and N. A. J. Lieven, “Dynamic finite element model updating using simulated annealing and genetic algorithms,” Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 91–120, 1998.
- C. B. Yun and E. Y. Bahng, “Substructural identification using neural networks,” Computers and Structures, vol. 77, no. 1, pp. 41–52, 2000.
- J. T. Kim, Y. S. Ryu, H. M. Cho, and N. Stubbs, “Damage identification in beam-type structures: frequency-based method versus mode-shape-based method,” Engineering Structures, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 57–67, 2003.
- G. J. Yun, K. A. Ogorzalek, S. J. Dyke, and W. Song, “A two-stage damage detection approach based on subset selection and genetic algorithms,” Smart Structures and Systems, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 1–21, 2009.
- T. H. Yi, H. N. Li, and M. Gu, “A new method for optimal selection of sensor location on a high-rise building using simplified finite element model,” Structural Engineering and Mechanics, vol. 37, no. 6, pp. 671–684, 2011.
- T. H. Yi, H. N. Li, and M. Gu, “Sensor placement for structural health monitoring of Canton tower,” Smart Structures and Systems, vol. 10, no. 4-5, pp. 313–329, 2012.
- Z. Yang, A. Elgamal, T. Abdoun, and C. J. Lee, “A numerical study of lateral spreading behind a caisson-type quay wall,” in Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Recent Advances in Geotechnical Earthquake Engineering and Soil Dynamics and Symposium, pp. 1–6, 2001.
- D. K. Kim, H. R. Ryu, H. R. Seo, and S. K. Chang, “Earthquake response characteristics of port structure according to exciting frequency components of earthquakes,” Journal of Korean Society of Coastal and Ocean Engineers, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 41–46, 2005.
- Y. Chen and J. Zhou, “Monitoring strain study of cylinder caisson based on fiber grating sensing technology,” Applied Mechanics and Materials, vol. 166–169, pp. 1308–1311, 2012.
- A. A. Shama, J. B. Mander, S. S. Chen, and A. J. Aref, “Ambient vibration and seismic evaluation of a cantilever truss bridge,” Engineering Structures, vol. 23, no. 10, pp. 1281–1292, 2001.
- W. X. Ren and X. L. Peng, “Baseline finite element modeling of a large span cable-stayed bridge through field ambient vibration tests,” Computers and Structures, vol. 83, no. 8-9, pp. 536–550, 2005.
- J. J. Lee and C. B. Yun, “Damage diagnosis of steel girder bridges using ambient vibration data,” Engineering Structures, vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 912–925, 2006.
- C. Gentile and N. Gallino, “Ambient vibration testing and structural evaluation of an historic suspension footbridge,” Advances in Engineering Software, vol. 39, no. 4, pp. 356–366, 2008.
- D. M. Siringoringo and Y. Fujino, “System identification of suspension bridge from ambient vibration response,” Engineering Structures, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 462–477, 2008.
- S. S. Ivanović, M. D. Trifunac, E. I. Novikova, A. A. Gladkov, and M. I. Todorovska, “Ambient vibration tests of a seven-story reinforced concrete building in Van Nuys, California, damaged by the 1994 Northridge earthquake,” Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 391–411, 2000.
- T. Yin, H. F. Lam, H. M. Chow, and H. P. Zhu, “Dynamic reduction-based structural damage detection of transmission tower utilizing ambient vibration data,” Engineering Structures, vol. 31, no. 9, pp. 2009–2019, 2009.
- M. Amiri and S. R. Sabbagh-Yazdi, “Ambient vibration test and finite element modeling of tall liquid storage tanks,” Thin-Walled Structures, vol. 49, no. 8, pp. 974–983, 2011.
- G. Osmancikli, Ş. Uçak, F. N. Turan, T. Türker, and A. Bayraktar, “Investigation of restoration effects on the dynamic characteristics of the Hagia Sophia bell-tower by ambient vibration test,” Construction and Building Materials, vol. 29, pp. 564–572, 2012.
- S. Jang, H. Jo, S. Cho et al., “Structural health monitoring of a cable-stayed bridge using smart sensor technology: deployment and evaluation,” Smart Structures and Systems, vol. 6, no. 5-6, pp. 439–459, 2010.
- J. Min, S. Park, B. Song, and C. B. Yun, “Development of a low-cost multifunctional wireless impedance sensor node,” Smart Structures and Systems, vol. 6, no. 5-6, pp. 689–709, 2010.
- J. H. Park, J. T. Kim, D. S. Hong, D. Mascarenas, and J. P. Lynch, “Autonomous smart sensor nodes for global and local damage detection of prestressed concrete bridges based on accelerations and impedance measurements,” Smart Structures and Systems, vol. 6, no. 5-6, pp. 711–730, 2010.
- J. Wu, S. Yuan, S. Ji, G. Zhou, Y. Wang, and Z. Wang, “Multi-agent system design and evaluation for collaborative wireless sensor network in large structure health monitoring,” Expert Systems with Applications, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 2028–2036, 2010.
- G. J. Yun, S. G. Lee, J. Carletta, and T. Nagayama, “Decentralized damage identification using wavelet signal analysis embedded on wireless smart sensors,” Engineering Structures, vol. 33, no. 7, pp. 2162–2172, 2011.
- D. D. Ho, P. Y. Lee, K. D. Nguyen et al., “Solar powered multi-scale sensor node on Imoete2 platform for hybrid SHM in cable-stayed bridge,” Smart Structures and Systems, vol. 9, pp. 145–164, 2012.
- J. S. Bendat and A. G. Piersol, Engineering Applications of Correlation and Spectral Analysis, Wiley-Interscience, New York, NY, USA, 2003.
- D. Otte, P. van de Ponseele, and J. Leuridan, “Operational shapes estimation as a function of dynamic loads,” in Proceedings of the 8th International Modal Analysis Conference, Orlando, Fla, USA, January 1990.
- J. H. Yi and C. B. Yun, “Comparative study on modal identification methods using output-only information,” Structural Engineering and Mechanics, vol. 17, no. 3-4, pp. 445–456, 2004.