- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 614532, 13 pages
Using Mobile Robots to Establish Mobile Wireless Mesh Networks and Increase Network Throughput
1College of Technology, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN 47907, USA
2Department of Electronics and Radio Engineering, Kyung Hee University, Yongin 446-701, Republic of Korea
3Purdue Homeland Security Institute, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN 47907, USA
Received 20 January 2012; Revised 5 June 2012; Accepted 20 June 2012
Academic Editor: David Simplot-Ryl
Copyright © 2012 Cory Q. Nguyen et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. Nguyen, B. Leong, E. Matson, A. Smith, and J. Wachs, “AWARE: autonomous wireless agent robotic exchange,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Intelligent Robotics and Applications (ICIRA '10), Shanghai, China, Noember 2010.
- B.-C. Min, J. Lewis, D. K. Schrader, E. T. Matson, and A. Smith, “Self-orientation of directional antennas, assisted by mobile robots, for receiving the best wireless signal strength,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Sensors Applications Symposium (SAS '12), pp. 261–266, February 2012.
- Proxim Wireless, Orinoco AP-4000, AP-4000M and AP-4900M User Guide, Proxim wireless, 2006.
- “802. 11s IEEE standard,” 2011, http://standards.ieee.org/findstds/standard/802.11s-2011.html.
- S. Conner, “IEEE 802. 11s tutorial oeriew of the amendment for wireless local area mesh networking,” 2006, http://ieee802.org/802_tutorials/06-November/802.11s_Tutorial_r5.pdf.
- “Conguring wds, fast secure roaming, and radio management,” 2012, http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/12.2_15_JA/configuration/guide/s15roamg.html.
- Proxim wireless mesh series, 2012, http://www.proxim.com/products/enterprise-wireless-lan-wi-mesh/orinocor-wi-mesh-series.
- A. Smith and E. T. Matson, “Use of antennas as sensors to discover signals to form mobile broadband networks,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Sensors Conference (SENSORS '09), pp. 581–584, October 2009.
- WHO, Initials, “Public health risk assessment and interentions: earthquake—Haiti,” World health organization, 2010, http://www.who.int/diseasecontrol_emergencies/publications/who_hse_gar_dce_2010_1/en/index.html.
- “Rescue crews pull 2 more from haitian market,” MSNBC, 2010, http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34829978/ns/world news-americas/?GT1=43001.
- “Japan earthquake: death toll passes 10, 000,” 2011, http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/japan/8405619/Japan-earthquake-death-toll-passes-10000.html.
- K. K. Hoon and C. Meyers, “Snow muffles rescue work in japan's deastated northeast,” 2011, http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/16/us-japan-quake-snow-idUSTRE72F2WN20110316.
- M. M. Ahlers and M. Mount, “Radio station in the sky warns haitians not to at-tempt boat oyage,” 2010, http://articles.cnn.com/2010-01-19/world/haiti.broadcast.warning_1_haiti-migration-coast-guard?_s=PM:WORLD.
- N. Pezeshkian, H. G. Nguyen, and A. Burmeister, “Unmanned ground vehicle radio relay deployment system for non-line-of-sight operations,” in Proceedings of the 13th IASTED International Conference on Robotics and Applications (RA '07), pp. 501–506, August 2007.
- S. Timotheou and G. Loukas, “Autonomous networked robots for the establishment of wireless communication in uncertain emergency response scenarios,” in Proceedings of the 24th Annual ACM Symposium on Applied Computing (SAC '09), pp. 1171–1175, March 2009.
- A. Ollero, P. J. Marron, M. Bernard et al., “AWARE: platform for autonomous self-deploying and operation of wireless sensor-actuator networks cooperating with unmanned AeRial vehiclEs,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Workshop on Safety, Security and Rescue Robotics (SSRR '07), pp. 1–6, September 2007.
- irobot create., 2012, http://store.irobot.com/shop/index.jsp?categoryId=3311368.
- Orinoco ap-4000, 2012, http://www.proxim.com/products/enterprise-wireless-lan-wi-fi-mesh/orinocor-ap-4000.
- Mobile robots., 2012, http://www.mobilerobots.com/ResearchRobots/P3AT.aspx.
- C. Q. Nguyen, Intelligent autonomous mobile wireless broadband linear expansion & route optimization [M.S. thesis], Purdue Uniersity, 2011.
- P. I. Corke, Robotics, Ision & Control, Springer, 2011.
- J. Dugan and M. Kutzko, “Iperf,” 2011, http://sourceforge.net/projects/iperf/.