- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 709208, 17 pages
Multiscale Acceleration-Dynamic Strain-Impedance Sensor System for Structural Health Monitoring
1Faculty of Civil Engineering, Ho Chi Minh City University of Technology, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
2Department of Ocean Engineering, Pukyong National University, Busan 608-737, Republic of Korea
3Research Center for Ocean Industrial Development, Pukyong National University, Busan 608-737, Republic of Korea
Received 21 July 2012; Accepted 17 September 2012
Academic Editor: Ting-Hua YI
Copyright © 2012 Duc-Duy Ho et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- T. H. Yi and H. N. Li, “Methodology developments in sensor placement for health monitoring of civil infrastructures,” International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks, vol. 2012, Article ID 612726, 11 pages, 2012.
- T. H. Yi, H. N. Li, and M. Gu, “Optimal sensor placement for health monitoring of high-rise structure based on genetic algorithm,” Mathematical Problems in Engineering, vol. 2011, Article ID 395101, 12 pages, 2011.
- T.-H. Yi, H.-N. Li, and X.-D. Zhang, “A modified monkey algorithm for optimal sensor placement in structural health monitoring,” Smart Materials and Structures, vol. 21, no. 10, Article ID 105033, 2012.
- E. G. Straser and A. S. Kiremidjian, “A modular, wireless damage monitoring system for structure,” Tech. Rep. 128, John A. Blume Earthquake Engineering Center, Stanford University, Stanford, Calif, USA, 1998.
- B. F. Spencer, M. E. Ruiz-Sandoval, and N. Kurata, “Smart sensing technology: opportunities and challenges,” Structural Control and Health Monitoring, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 349–368, 2004.
- J. P. Lynch, Y. Wang, K. J. Loh, J. H. Yi, and C. B. Yun, “Performance monitoring of the Geumdang Bridge using a dense network of high-resolution wireless sensors,” Smart Materials and Structures, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 1561–1575, 2006.
- T. Nagayama, S. H. Sim, Y. Miyamori, and B. F. Spencer, “Issues in structural health monitoring employing smart sensors,” Smart Structures and Systems, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 299–329, 2007.
- V. Krishnamurthy, K. Fowler, and E. Sazonov, “The effect of time synchronization of wireless sensors on the modal analysis of structures,” Smart Materials and Structures, vol. 17, no. 5, Article ID 055018, pp. 1–13, 2008.
- C. W. Kim, M. Kawatani, M. Tsukamoto, and N. Fujita, “Wireless sensor node development for bridge condition assessment,” Advances in Science and Technology, vol. 56, pp. 573–578, 2008.
- S. Cho, H. Jo, S. Jang et al., “Structural health monitoring of a cable-stayed bridge using wireless smart sensor technology: data analyses,” Smart Structures and Systems, vol. 6, no. 5-6, pp. 461–480, 2010.
- J. P. Lynch, A. Sundararajan, K. H. Law, A. S. Kiremidjian, T. Kenny, and E. Carryer, “Embedment of structural monitoring algorithms in a wireless sensing unit,” Structural Engineering and Mechanics, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 285–297, 2003.
- T. Nagayama, Structural health monitoring using smart sensors [Ph.D. thesis], University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2007.
- Y. Wang, R. A. Swartz, J. P. Lynch, K. H. Law, K. C. Lu, and C. H. Loh, “Decentralized civil structural control using real-time wireless sensing and embedded computing,” Smart Structures and Systems, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 321–340, 2007.
- A. T. Zimmerman, M. Shiraishi, R. A. Swartz, and J. P. Lynch, “Automated modal parameter estimation by parallel processing within wireless monitoring systems,” Journal of Infrastructure Systems, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 102–113, 2008.
- K. C. Lu, C. H. Loh, Y. S. Yang, J. P. Lynch, and K. H. Law, “Real-time structural damage detection using wireless sensing and monitoring system,” Smart Structures and Systems, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 759–777, 2008.
- R. D. Adams, P. Cawley, C. J. Pye, and B. J. Stone, “A vibration technique for non-destructively assessing the integrity of structures,” Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 93–100, 1978.
- N. Stubbs and R. Osegueda, “Global non-destructive damage evaluation in solids,” The International Journal of Analytical and Experimental Modal Analysis, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 67–79, 1990.
- C. B. Yun and E. Y. Bahng, “Substructural identification using neural networks,” Computers and Structures, vol. 77, no. 1, pp. 41–52, 2000.
- J. T. Kim, Y. S. Ryu, H. M. Cho, and N. Stubbs, “Damage identification in beam-type structures: frequency-based method vs mode-shape-based method,” Engineering Structures, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 57–67, 2003.
- J. T. Kim, J. H. Park, D. S. Hong, H. M. Cho, W. B. Na, and J. H. Yi, “Vibration and impedance monitoring for prestress-loss prediction in PSC girder bridges,” Smart Structures and Systems, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 81–94, 2009.
- J. T. Kim and N. Stubbs, “Model-uncertainty impact and damage-detection accuracy in plate girder,” Journal of Structural Engineering, vol. 121, no. 10, pp. 1409–1417, 1995.
- S. W. Doebling, C. R. Farrar, and M. B. Prime, “A summary review of vibration-based damage identification methods,” Shock and Vibration Digest, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 91–105, 1998.
- J. J. Lee, J. W. Lee, J. H. Yi, C. B. Yun, and H. Y. Jung, “Neural networks-based damage detection for bridges considering errors in baseline finite element models,” Journal of Sound and Vibration, vol. 280, no. 3-5, pp. 555–578, 2005.
- J. T. Kim, J. H. Park, K. Y. Koo, and J. J. Lee, “Acceleration-based neural networks algorithm for damage detection in structures,” Smart Structures and Systems, vol. 4, no. 5, pp. 583–603, 2008.
- H. J. Park, K. Y. Koo, and C. B. Yun, “Modal flexibility-based damage detection technique of steel beam by dynamic strain measurements using FBG sensors,” Steel Structures, vol. 7, pp. 11–18, 2007.
- S. H. Sim, B. F. Spencer, and T. Nagayama, “Multimetric sensing for structural damage detection,” Journal of Engineering Mechanics, vol. 137, no. 1, Article ID 001101QEM, pp. 22–30, 2010.
- C. Liang, F. P. Sun, and C. A. Rogers, “Coupled electro-mechanical analysis of adaptive material systems—determination of the actuator power consumption and system energy transfer,” Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 12–20, 1994.
- F. P. Sun, Z. A. Chaudhry, C. A. Rogers, and M. Majmundar, “Automated real-time structure health monitoring via signature pattern recognition,” in Smart Structures and Materials 1995: Smart Structures and Integrated Systems, Proceedings of the SPIE, pp. 236–247, San Diego, Calif, USA, March 1995.
- G. Park, H. H. Cudney, and D. J. Inman, “Impedance-based health monitoring of civil structural components,” Journal of Infrastructure Systems, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 153–160, 2000.
- S. Bhalla and C. K. Soh, “Structural impedance based damage diagnosis by piezo-transducers,” Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, vol. 32, no. 12, pp. 1897–1916, 2003.
- S. Park, S. Ahmad, C. B. Yun, and Y. Roh, “Multiple crack detection of concrete structures using impedance-based structural health monitoring techniques,” Experimental Mechanics, vol. 46, no. 5, pp. 609–618, 2006.
- J. T. Kim, W. B. Na, D. S. Hong, and J. H Park, “Global and local health monitoring of plate-girder bridges under uncertain temperature conditions,” International Journal of Steel Structures, vol. 6, pp. 369–376, 2006.
- Crossbow Technology, “Mica2-Wireless measurement system,” 2004, http://www.xbow.com/.
- Crossbow Technology, “Imote2 Hardware Reference Manual, Revision A,” 2007, http://www.xbow.com/.
- H. Jo, S.-H. Sim, T. Nagayama, and B. F. Spencer, “Development and application of high-sensitivity wireless smart sensors for decentralized stochastic modal identification,” Journal of Engineering Mechanics, vol. 138, no. 6, pp. 683–694, 2012.
- J. T. Kim, J. H. Park, D. S. Hong, and D. D. Ho, “Hybrid acceleration-impedance sensor nodes on Imote2-platform for damage monitoring in steel girderconnections,” Smart Structures and Systems, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 393–416, 2011.
- T. L. Miller, B. F. Spencer, J. Li, and H. Jo, “Solar energy harvesting and software enhancements for autonomous wireless smart sensor networks,” NSEL Report Series NSEL-022, 2010.
- J. A. Rice and B. F. Spencer, “Flexible smart sensor framework for autonomous full-scale structural health monitoring,” NSEL Report Series NSEL-018, 2009.
- J. A. Rice, K. Mechitov, S. H. Sim et al., “Flexible smart sensor framework for autonomous structural health monitoring,” Smart Structures and Systems, vol. 6, no. 5-6, pp. 423–438, 2010.
- Silicon Designs, “Model 1221-Low noise analog accelerometer,” 2008, http://www.silicondesigns.com/.
- J. Sirohi and I. Chopra, “Fundamental understanding of piezoelectric strain sensors,” Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 246–257, 2000.
- D. L. Mascarenas, M. D. Todd, G. Park, and C. R. Farrar, “Development of an impedance-based wireless sensor node for structural health monitoring,” Smart Materials and Structures, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 2137–2145, 2007.
- J. H. Park, J. T. Kim, D. S. Hong, D. Mascarenas, and J. Peter Lynch, “Autonomous smart sensor nodes for global and local damage detection of prestressed concrete bridges based on accelerations and impedance measurements,” Smart Structures and Systems, vol. 6, no. 5-6, pp. 711–730, 2010.
- Analog Devices, “Datasheet of AD5933,” 2010, http://www.analog.com/.
- Illinois Structural Health Monitoring Project, “Getting Started with the ISHMP Services Toolsuite,” University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2010.
- J. S. Bendat and A. G. Pierso, Engineering Applications of Correlation and Spectral Analysis, Wiley-Interscience, New York, NY, USA, 1993.
- J. H. Yi and C. B. Yun, “Comparative study on modal identification methods using output-only information,” Structural Engineering and Mechanics, vol. 17, no. 3-4, pp. 445–466, 2004.