- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 740268, 12 pages
A Survey of Wireless Sensor Network Abstraction for Application Development
Department of Computer Systems, Tampere University of Technology, P.O. Box 553, 33101 Tampere, Finland
Received 25 June 2012; Revised 14 September 2012; Accepted 5 November 2012
Academic Editor: Arne Bröring
Copyright © 2012 Teemu Laukkarinen et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- I. F. Akyildiz, W. Su, Y. Sankarasubramaniam, and E. Cayirci, “Wireless sensor networks: a survey,” Computer Networks, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 393–422, 2002.
- R. Sugihara and R. K. Gupta, “Programming models for sensor networks: a survey,” ACM Transactions on Sensor Networks, vol. 4, no. 2, article no. 8, 2008.
- L. Mottola and G. P. Picco, “Programming wireless sensor networks: fundamental concepts and state of the art,” ACM Computing Surveys, vol. 43, no. 3, article no. 19, 2011.
- K. Henricksen and R. Robinson, “A survey of middleware for sensor networks: State-of-the-art and future directions,” in Proceedings of the International Workshop on Middleware for Sensor Networks (MidSens '06), pp. 60–65, New York, NY, USA, November 2006.
- J. Hill, R. Szewczyk, A. Woo, S. Hollar, D. Culler, and K. Pister, “System architecture directions for networked sensors,” SIGPLAN Notices, vol. 35, no. 11, pp. 93–104, 2000.
- A. Dunkels, B. Grönvall, and T. Voigt, “Contiki—a lightweight and flexible operating system for tiny networked sensors,” in Proceedings of the 29th Annual IEEE International Conference on Local Computer Networks (LCN '04), pp. 455–462, Tampa, Fla, USA, November 2004.
- P. Levis and D. Culler, “Mate: a tiny virtual machine for sensor networks,” SIGPLAN Notices, vol. 37, no. 10, pp. 85–95, 2002.
- D. Gay, P. Levis, R. Von Behren, M. Welsh, E. Brewer, and D. Culler, “The nesC language: a holistic approach to networked embedded systems,” SIGPLAN Notices, vol. 38, no. 5, pp. 1–11, 2003.
- S. Hadim and N. Mohamed, “Middleware: Middleware challenges and approaches for wireless sensor networks,” IEEE Distributed Systems Online, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 1–23, 2006.
- M. M. Wang, J. N. Cao, J. Li, and S. K. Dasi, “Middleware for wireless sensor networks: a survey,” Journal of Computer Science and Technology, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 305–326, 2008.
- S. R. Madden, M. J. Franklin, J. M. Hellerstein, and W. Hong, “TinyDB: an acquisitional query processing system for sensor networks,” ACM Transactions on Database Systems, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 122–173, 2005.
- Y. Yao and J. Gehrke, “The cougar approach to in-network query processing in sensor networks,” SIGMOD Record, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 9–18, 2002.
- C. L. Fok, G. C. Roman, and C. Lu, “Mobile agent middleware for sensor networks: an application case study,” in Proceedings of the 4th International Symposium on Information Processing in Sensor Networks (IPSN '05), pp. 382–387, April 2005.
- C. Curino, M. Giani, M. Giorgetta, A. Giusti, A. L. Murphy, and G. P. Picco, “TinyLIME: Bridging mobile and sensor networks through middleware,” in Proceedings of the 3rd IEEE International Conference on Pervasive Computing and Communications (PerCom '05), pp. 61–74, March 2005.
- M. M. Molla and S. I. Ahamed, “A survey of middleware for sensor network and challenges,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Parallel Processing Workshops (ICPP '06), pp. 223–228, August 2006.
- W. Masri and Z. Mammen, “Middleware for wireless sensor networks: a comparative analysis,” in Proceedings of the IFIP International Conference on Network and Parallel Computing Workshops (NPC '07), pp. 349–356, September 2007.
- N. Mohamed and J. Al-Jaroodi, “Service-oriented middleware approaches for wireless sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the 44th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS-44 '10), pp. 1–9, January 2011.
- Y. Dafei and F. Yu, “From sensor net to sensor grid: a survey and taxonomy on Sensor Web,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium (IGARSS '07), pp. 2935–2938, June 2007.
- A. Bröring, J. Echterhoff, S. Jirka et al., “New generation sensor web enablement,” Sensors, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 2652–2699, 2011.
- T. Laukkarinen, J. Suhonen, T. D. Hamalainen, and M. Hannikainen, “Pilot studies of wireless sensor networks: Practical experiences,” in Proceedings of the Conference on Design and Architectures for Signal and Image Processing (DASIP '11), pp. 1–18, November 2011.
- M. Botts, G. Percivall, C. Reed, and J. Davidson, “Ogc sensor web enablement: overview and high level architecture,” in GeoSensor Networks, S. Nittel, A. Labrinidis, and A. Stefanidis, Eds., vol. 4540 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pp. 175–190, Springer, Berlin, UK, 2008.
- I. Simonis, “Ogc sensor web enablement architecture, version 0.4.0,” OGC 06-021r4, OGC Best Practice. Open Geospatial Consortium, 2008.
- M. Botts and A. Robin, “Ogc sensor model language (sensorml) implementation specification, version 1.0.0, OpenGIS Implementation Specification,” OGC 07-000, Open Geospatial Consortium, 2007.
- S. Cox, “Observations and measurements—xml implementation, version 2.0, OpenGIS Implementation standard,” OGC 10-025r1, Open Geospatial Consortium, 2011.
- I. Simonis, “Ogc sensor alert service candidate implementation specification, version 0.9,” OGC 06-028r3, Candidate OpenGIS Implementation Specification Open Geospatial Consortium, 2006.
- A. Bröring, C. Stasch, and J. Echterhoff, “Ogc sensor observation service interface standard, version 2.0,” OGC 12-006, OpenGIS Implementation Standard. Open Geospatial Consortium, 2012.
- I. Simonis and J. Echterhoff, “Ogc sensor planning service implementation standard, version 2.0,” OGC 09-000, OpenGIS Implementation Standard. Open Geospatial Consortium, 2011.
- I. Simonis and A. Wytzisk, “Web notification service, version 0.1.0,” OGC 03-008r2, OpenGIS Discussion Paper. Open Geospatial Consortium, 2003.
- S. Havens, “Ogc transducer markup language (tml) implementation specification, version 1.0.0, retired,” OGC 06-010r6, OpenGIS Implementation Specification. Open Geospatial Consortium, 2007.
- E. Bouillet, M. Feblowitz, Z. Liu, A. Ranganathan, A. Riabov, and F. Ye, “A semantics-based middleware for utilizing heterogeneous sensor networks,” Distributed Computing in Sensor Systems, vol. 4549, pp. 174–188, 2007.
- W3C, “Owl web ontology language reference,” http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-ref, 2012.
- K. Aberer, M. Hauswirth, and A. Salehi, “Infrastructure for data processing in large-scale interconnected sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Mobile Data Management (MDM '07), pp. 198–205, May 2007.
- A. Kansal, S. Nath, J. Liu, and F. Zhao, “SenseWeb: an infrastructure for shared sensing,” IEEE Multimedia, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 8–13, 2007.
- S. Nath, J. Liu, and F. Zhao, “Challenges in building a portal for sensors world-wide,” in Proceedings of the 1st Workshop on WorldSensor-Web, ACM, pp. 3–4, Boulder, 2006.
- Y. S. Jeong, E. H. Song, G. B. Chae, M. Hong, and D. S. Park, “Large-scale middleware for ubiquitous sensor networks,” IEEE Intelligent Systems, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 48–59, 2010.
- V. Casola, A. Gaglione, and A. Mazzeo, “A reference architecture for sensor networks integration and management,” GeoSensor Networks, vol. 5659, pp. 158–168, 2009.
- J. Honkola, H. Laine, R. Brown, and O. Tyrkkö, “Smart-M3 information sharing platform,” in Proceedings of the 15th IEEE Symposium on Computers and Communications (ISCC '10), pp. 1041–1046, June 2010.
- L. Krishnamachari, D. Estrin, and S. Wicker, “The impact of data aggregation in wireless sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the 22nd International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems Workshops, pp. 575–5578, 2002.
- G. L. Prakash, M. Thejaswini, S. H. Manjula, K. R. Venugopal, and L. M. Patnaik, “Energy efficient in-network data processing in sensor networks,” World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, vol. 48, 2008.
- Q. Luo, H. Wu, W. Xue, and B. He, “Benchmarking in-network sensor query processing,” Tech. Rep., The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, 2005.
- S. Madden, M. J. Franklin, J. M. Hellerstein, and W. Hong, “Tag: a tiny aggregation service for ad-hoc sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the 5th symposium on Operating systems design and implementation, ACM SIGOPS Operating Systems Review, vol. 36, no. SI, pp. 131–146, 2002.
- J. Considine, F. Li, G. Kollios, and J. Byers, “Approximate aggregation techniques for sensor databases,” in Proceedings of the 20th International Conference on Data Engineering (ICDE '04), pp. 449–460, April 2004.
- J. Suhonen, O. Kivela, T. Laukkarinen, and M. Hannikainen, “Unified service access for wireless sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the 3rd International Workshop on Software Engineering for Sensor Network Applications (SESENA '12), pp. 49–495, June 2012.