- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 783798, 9 pages
A Mutual Algorithm for Optimizing Distributed Source Coding in Wireless Sensor Networks
1Department of Electronics and Informatics (ETRO), Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Pleinlaan 2, 1050 Brussel, Belgium
2Erasmushogeschool Brussel—IWT, Nijverheidskaai 170, 1070 Brussel, Belgium
Received 15 July 2011; Revised 10 November 2011; Accepted 16 November 2011
Academic Editor: Yuhang Yang
Copyright © 2012 Nashat Abughalieh et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Yick, B. Mukherjee, and D. Ghosal, “Wireless sensor network survey,” Computer Networks, vol. 52, no. 12, pp. 2292–2330, 2008.
- G. Anastasi, M. Conti, M. di Francesco, and A. Passarella, “Energy conservation in wireless sensor networks: a survey,” Ad Hoc Networks, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 537–568, 2009.
- G. Barrenetxea, F. Ingelrest, G. Schaefer, M. Vetterli, O. Couach, and M. Parlange, “SensorScope: out-of-the-box environmental monitoring,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Information Processing in Sensor Networks (IPSN '08), pp. 332–343, April 2008.
- C. Hua and T. S. P. Yum, “Optimal routing and data aggregation for maximizing lifetime of wireless sensor networks,” IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 892–903, 2008.
- Q. Gao, K. J. Blow, D. J. Holding, and I. Marshall, “Analysis of energy conservation in sensor networks,” Wireless Networks, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 787–794, 2005.
- G. Xing, C. Lu, Y. Zhang, Q. Huang, and R. Pless, “Minimum power configuration for wireless communication in sensor networks,” ACM Transactions on Sensor Networks, vol. 3, no. 2, Article ID 1240231, 2007.
- K. Sha and W. Shi, “Modeling the lifetime of wireless sensor networks,” Sensor Letters, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 126–135, 2005.
- S. Pattem, B. Krishnamachari, and R. Govindan, “The impact of spatial correlation on routing with compression in wireless sensor networks,” ACM Transactions on Sensor Networks, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 1–33, 2008.
- R. Cristescu, B. Beferull-Lozano, M. Vetterli, and R. Wattenhofer, “Network correlated data gathering with explicit communication: NP-completeness and algorithms,” IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 41–54, 2006.
- H. Luo and G. J. Pottie, “Designing routes for source coding with explicit side information in sensor networks,” IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 1401–1413, 2007.
- H. Wang, D. Peng, W. Wang, and H. Sharif, “Optimal rate-oriented routing for distributed source coding in wireless sensor network,” in Proceedings of the 2nd ACM International Workshop on Quality of Service and Security in Wireless and Mobile Networks (Q2SWinet '06), pp. 55–58, ACM Press, New York, NY, USA, 2006.
- D. Varodayan, A. Aaron, and B. Girod, “Rate-adaptive codes for distributed source coding,” Signal Processing, vol. 86, no. 11, pp. 3123–3130, 2006.
- A. Kashyap, L. A. Lastras-Montaño, C. Xia, and Z. Liu, “Distributed source coding in dense sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the Data Compression Conference, no. 2, pp. 13–22, IEEE, 2005.
- D. Marco and D. L. Neuhoff, “Reliability vs. efficiency in distributed source coding for field-gathering sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the 3rd International Symposium on Information Processing in Sensor Networks (IPSN '04), pp. 161–168, New York, NY, USA, ACM Press, 2004.
- D. Slepian and J. K. Wolf, “Noiseless coding of correlated information sources,” IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 471–480, 1973.
- S. S. Pradhan, J. Kusuma, and K. Ramchandran, “Distributed compression in a dense microsensor network,” IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 51–60, 2002.
- J. Bajcsy and P. Mitran, “Coding for the Slepian-Wolf problem with turbo codes,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Global Telecommunications Conference (GLOBECOM '01), vol. 2, pp. 1400–1404, IEEE, 2001.
- A. Aaron and B. Girod, “Compression with side information using turbo codes,” in Proceedings of the Data Compression Conference, 2002.
- A. D. Liveris, Z. Xiong, and C. N. Georghiades, “Compression of binary sources with side information at the decoder using LDPC codes,” IEEE Communications Letters, vol. 6, no. 10, pp. 440–442, 2002.
- C. F. Lan, A. D. Liveris, K. Narayanan, Z. Xiong, and C. Georghiades, “Slepian-Wolf coding of multiple M-ary sources using LDPC codes,” in Proceedings of the Data Compression Conference (DCC '04), p. 549, March 2004.
- A. D. Liveris, C. F. Lan, F. Narayanan, Z. Xiong, and C. N. Georghiades, “Slepian-Wolf coding of three binary sources using LDPC codes,” in Proceedings of the International Symposium on Turbo Codes and Related Topics, pp. 1–4, 2003.
- R. Cristescu, B. Beferull-Lozano, and M. Vetterli, “Networked Slepian-Wolf: theory, algorithms, and scaling laws,” IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, vol. 51, no. 12, pp. 4057–4073, 2005.
- T. M. Cover and J. A. Thomas, Elements of Information Theory, vol. 306 of Wiley Series in Telecommunications, Wiley-Interscience, New York, NY, USA, 1991.
- H. Arjmandi, M. Taki, and F. Lahouti, “Lifetime maximized data gathering in wireless sensor networks using limited-order distributed source coding,” Signal Processing, vol. 91, no. 11, pp. 2661–2666, 2011.
- H. Arjmandi and F. Lahouti, “Resource optimized distributed source coding for complexity constrained data gathering wireless sensor networks,” IEEE Sensors Journal, vol. 11, no. 9, Article ID 5705538, pp. 2094–2101, 2011.
- D.S. Lun, M. Médard, T. Ho, and R. Koetter, “Network coding with a cost criterion,” in Proceedings of the International Symposium on Information Theory and its Applications (ISITA '04), pp. 1232–1237, Citeseer, April 2004.
- C. E. Shannon, “The mathematical theory of communication,” M.D. Computing : Computers in Medical Practice, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 306–317, 1948.
- Q. Li, J. Aslam, and D. Rus, “Online power-aware routing in wireless Ad-hoc networks,” in Proceedings of the 7th Annual International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking (MOBICOM '01), pp. 97–107, 2001.
- B. Awerbuch, Y. Azar, and S. Plotkin, “Throughput-competitive on-line routing,” in Proceedings of the 34th Annual Symposium on Foundatons of Computer Science, pp. 32–40, IEEE Computer Society, Washington, DC, USA, 1993.
- K. Kar, M. Kodialam, T. V. Lakshman, and L. Tassiulas, “Routing for network capacity maximization in energy-constrained ad-hoc networks,” in Proceedings of the 22nd Annual Joint Conference of the IEEE Computer and Communications (IEEE INFOCOM '03), vol. 1, pp. 673–681, IEEE Societies, 2003.
- W. Liang and Y. Liu, “Online data gathering for maximizing network lifetime in sensor networks,” IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 2–11, 2007.
- L. Lin, N. B. Shroff, and R. Srikant, “Asymptotically optimal energy-aware routing for multihop wireless networks with renewable energy sources,” IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 1021–1034, 2007.
- “CC2420 2.4 GHz IEEE 802.15.4 / ZigBee-ready RF transceiver,” Tech. Rep., Texas Instruments, 2007.
- S. Cui, A. J. Goldsmith, and A. Bahai, “Energy-constrained modulation optimization,” IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, vol. 4, no. 5, pp. 2349–2360, 2005.