- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 842107, 15 pages
Mobile Sensor Waypoint Navigation via RF-Based Angle of Arrival Localization
Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Institute for Software Integrated Systems (ISIS), Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN 37235, USA
Received 25 November 2011; Revised 23 April 2012; Accepted 3 May 2012
Academic Editor: Jiming Chen
Copyright © 2012 Isaac Amundson et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. Dantu, M. Rahimi, H. Shah, S. Babel, A. Dhariwal, and G. S. Sukhatme, “Robomote: enabling mobility in sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the 4th International Symposium on Information Processing in Sensor Networks (IPSN '05), p. 55, Los Angeles, Calif, USA, April 2005.
- J. Friedman, D. Lee, I. Tsigkogiannis et al., “Ragobot: a new platform for wireless mobile sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the 1st IEEE International Conference on Distributed Computing in Sensor Systems (DCOSS '05), vol. 3560 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, p. 412, Marina del Rey, Calif, USA, July 2005.
- S. Bergbreiter and K. S. J. Pister, “CotsBots: an off-the-shelf platform for distributed robotics,” in Proceedings of the IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS '03), pp. 27–31, Las Vegas, Nev, USA, October 2003.
- M. B. McMickell, B. Goodwine, and L. A. Montestruque, “MICAbot: a robotic platform for large-scale distributed robotics,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA '03), pp. 1600–1605, September 2003.
- H. B. Brown, J. M. Vande Weghe, C. A. Bererton, and P. K. Khosla, “Millibot trains for enhanced mobility,” IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 452–461, 2002.
- I. Getting, “The global positioning system,” IEEE Spectrum, vol. 30, no. 12, pp. 36–47, 1993.
- N. B. Priyantha, A. Chakraborty, and H. Balakrishnan, “Cricket location-support system,” in Proceedings of the 6th Annual International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking (MobiCom '00), pp. 32–43, August 2000.
- M. Maroti, B. Kusy, G. Balogh, et al., “Radio interferometric geolocation,” in Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems (SenSys '05), pp. 1–12, November 2005.
- I. Amundson, J. Sallai, X. Koutsoukos, and A. Ledeczi, “Radio interferometric angle of arrival estimation,” in Proceedings of the 7th European Conference on Wireless Sensor Networks (EWSN '10), vol. 5970 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pp. 1–16, Springer, Coimbra, Portugal, February 2010.
- J. N. Ash and L. C. Potter, “Robust system multiangulation using subspace methods,” in Proceedings of the 6th International Symposium on Information Processing in Sensor Networks (IPSN '07), pp. 61–68, April 2007.
- M. O. Franz and H. A. Mallot, “Biomimetic robot navigation,” Robotics and Autonomous Systems, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 133–153, 2000.
- P. Dutta, M. Grimmer, A. Arora, S. Bibykt, and D. Culler, “Design of a wireless sensor network platform for detecting rare, random, and ephemeral events,” in Proceedings of the 4th International Symposium on Information Processing in Sensor Networks (IPSN '05), pp. 497–502, April 2005.
- iRobot, “Create programmable robot,” http://www.irobot.com/.
- I. Amundson and X. D. Koutsoukos, “A survey on localization for mobile wireless sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the 2nd International Workshop on Mobile Entity Localization and Tracking in GPS-less Environments (MELT '09), R. Fuller and X. Koutsoukos, Eds., vol. 5801 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pp. 235–254, Springer, 2009.
- B. Kusy, A. Ledeczi, and X. Koutsoukos, “Tracking mobile nodes using RF doppler shifts,” in Proceedings of the 5th ACM International Conference on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems (SenSys '07), pp. 29–42, November 2007.
- B. Kusy, J. Sallai, G. Balogh et al., “Radio interferometric tracking of mobile wireless nodes,” in Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Mobile Systems, Applications and Services (MobiSys '07), pp. 139–151, June 2007.
- L. Fang, P. J. Antsaklis, L. A. Montestruque et al., “Design of a wireless assisted pedestrian dead reckoning system—the NavMote experience,” IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, vol. 54, no. 6, pp. 2342–2358, 2005.
- J. Borenstein, H. R. Everett, L. Feng, and D. Wehe, “Mobile robot positioning: sensors and techniques,” Journal of Robotic Systems, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 231–249, 1997.
- P. Bahl and V. N. Padmanabhan, “RADAR: an in-building RF-based user location and tracking system,” in Proceedings of the 19th Annual Joint Conference of the IEEE Computer and Communications Societies (INFOCOM '00), pp. 775–784, March 2000.
- K. Lorincz and M. Welsh, “MoteTrack: a robust, decentralized approach to RF-based location tracking,” Personal and Ubiquitous Computing, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 489–503, 2007.
- M. W. M. Dissanayake, P. Newman, S. Clark, H. F. Durrant-Whyte, and M. Csorba, “A solution to the simultaneous localization and map building (SLAM) problem,” IEEE Transactions on Robotics and Automation, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 229–241, 2001.
- C. Taylor, A. Rahimi, J. Bachrach, H. Shrobe, and A. Grue, “Simultaneous localization, calibration, and tracking in an ad hoc sensor network,” in Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Information Processing in Sensor Networks (IPSN '06), pp. 27–33, April 2006.
- A. Verma, H. Sawant, and J. Tan, “Selection and navigation of mobile sensor nodes using a sensor network,” in Proceedings of the 3rd IEEE International Conference on Pervasive Computing and Communications (PerCom '05), pp. 41–50, March 2005.
- Moog Crossbow, “Mica2,” http://www.xbow.com.
- Texas Instruments, “CC1000: single chip very low power RF transceiver,” http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/cc1000.html.
- B. Kusy, P. Dutta, P. Levis, M. Maroti, A. Ledeczi, and D. Culler, “Elapsed time on arrival: a simple and versatile primitive for canonical time synchronization services,” International Journal of Ad Hoc and Ubiquitous Computing, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 239–251, 2006.
- C. D. McGillem and T. S. Rappaport, “Beacon navigation method for autonomous vehicles,” IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 132–139, 1989.
- D. Niculescu and B. Nath, “Ad hoc positioning system (APS) using AOA,” in Proceedings of the 22nd Annual Joint Conference on the IEEE Computer and Communications Societies (INFOCOM '03), pp. 1734–1743, April 2003.
- A. Nasipuri and R. El Najjar, “Experimental evaluation of an angle based indoor localization system,” in Proceedings of the 4th International Symposium on Modeling and Optimization in Mobile, Ad Hoc and Wireless Networks (WiOpt '06), Boston, Mass, USA, April 2006.
- M. Betke and L. Gurvits, “Mobile robot localization using landmarks,” IEEE Transactions on Robotics and Automation, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 251–263, 1997.
- K. Dogancay, “Bearings-only target localization using total least squares,” Signal Processing, vol. 85, no. 9, pp. 1695–1710, 2005.
- Honeywell, “HMR3300 digital compass,” http://www.magneticsensors.com/.
- B. Kusy, I. Amundson, J. Sallai, P. Volgyesi, A. Ledeczi, and X. Koutsoukos, “RF doppler shift-based mobile sensor tracking and navigation,” ACM Transactions on Sensor Networks, vol. 7, no. 10, 2010.
- J. Sallai, I. Amundson, A. Ledeczi, X. Koutsoukos, and M. Maroti, “Using RF received phase for indoor tracking,” in Proceedings of the Workshop on Hot Topics in Embedded Networked Sensors (HotEmNets '10), June 2010.