- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 918252, 25 pages
The Complexity of the Minimum Sensor Cover Problem with Unit-Disk Sensing Regions over a Connected Monitored Region
Department of Computer Science and Information Engineering, National Chung Cheng University, 168 University Road, Min-Hsiung Chia-Yi 621, Taiwan
Received 17 June 2011; Revised 12 August 2011; Accepted 16 August 2011
Academic Editor: Yuhang Yang
Copyright © 2012 Ren-Song Ko. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- I. F. Akyildiz, W. Su, Y. Sankarasubramaniam, and E. Cayirci, “Wireless sensor networks: a survey,” Computer Networks, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 393–422, 2002.
- ANSI/IEEE, Standard 802.11, “Wireless LAN Medium Access Control(MAC) and Physical Layer(PHY) specifications,” 1999.
- J. A. Stine and G. D. Veciana, “Improving energy efficiency of centrally controlled wireless data networks,” Wireless Networks, vol. 8, no. 6, pp. 681–700, 2002.
- A. Srinivas and E. Modiano, “Minimum energy disjoint path routing in wireless Ad-hoc networks,” in Proceedings of the 9th Annual International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking, pp. 122–133, ACM Press, San Diego, Calif, USA, 2003.
- A. Sankar and Z. Liu, “Maximum lifetime routing in wireless Ad-hoc networks,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Infocom, Hong Kong, China, March 2004.
- S. Singh, C. S. Raghavendra, and J. Stepanek, “Power-aware broadcasting in mobile Ad Hoc networks,” in Proceedings of the 10th Annual IEEE International Symposium on Personal Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications, Osaka, Japan, September 1999.
- J. Wu, B. Wu, and I. Stojmenovic, “Power-aware broadcasting and activity scheduling in Ad Hoc wireless networks using connected dominating sets,” Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 425–438, 2003.
- J. E. Wieselthier, G. D. Nguyen, and A. Ephremides, “Multicasting in energy-limited Ad-hoc wireless networks,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Military Communications Conference, pp. 723–729, October 1998.
- W. Liang, “Approximate minimum-energy multicasting in wireless Ad Hoc networks,” IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 377–387, 2006.
- L. Hu, “Topology control for multihop packet radio networks,” IEEE Transactions on Communications, vol. 41, no. 10, pp. 1474–1481, 1993.
- R. Wattenhofer, L. Li, P. Bahl, and Y.-M. Wang, “Distributed topology control for power efficient operation in multihop wireless Ad Hoc networks,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Infocom, pp. 1388–1397, Anchorage, AK, USA, April 2001.
- R. C. Shah and J. M. Rabaey, “Energy aware routing for low energy Ad Hoc sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Wireless Communication and Networking Conference, Orlando, Fla, USA, March 2002.
- J.-H. Chang and L. Tassiulas, “Maximum lifetime routing in wireless sensor networks,” IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 609–619, 2004.
- C. Schurgers, V. Tsiatsis, S. Ganeriwal, and M. Srivastava, “Optimizing sensor networks in the energy-latency-density design space,” IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 70–80, 2002.
- H. Nama and N. Mandayam, “Sensor networks over information fields: optimal energy and node distributions,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference, pp. 1842–1847, March 2005.
- V. Raghunathan, C. Schurgers, S. Park, and M. B. Srivastava, “Energy-aware wireless microsensor networks,” IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 40–50, 2002.
- S. Meguerdichian, F. Koushanfar, M. Potkonjak, and M. B. Srivastava, “Coverage problems in wireless Ad-hoc sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Infocom, pp. 1380–1387, Anchorage, Alaska, USA, April 2001.
- D. Niculescu and B. Nath, “Ad hoc positioning system (APS) using AOA,” in Proceedings of the 22nd Annual Joint Conference on the IEEE Computer and Communications Societies, pp. 1734–1743, San Franciso, Calif, USA, April 2003.
- Y.-C. Tseng, S.-P. Kuo, H.-W. Lee, and C.-F. Huang, “Location tracking in a wireless sensor network by mobile agents and its data fusion strategies,” in Proceedings of the 2nd International Symposium on Information Processing in Sensor Networks, pp. 625–641, Palo Alto, Calif, USA, April 2003.
- S. Slijepcevic and M. Potkonjak, “Power efficient organization of wireless sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Communications, vol. 2, pp. 472–476, Helsinki, Finland, June 2001.
- S. Funke, A. Kesselman, F. Kuhn, Z. Lotker, and M. Segal, “Improved approximation algorithms for connected sensor cover,” Wireless Networks, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 153–164, 2007.
- M. R. Garey and D. S. Johnson, Computers and Intractability: A Guide to the Theory of NP-Completeness, chapter A3, W.H. Freeman and Company, 1979.
- D. S. Johnson, “Approximation algorithms for combinatorial problems,” Journal of Computer and System Sciences, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 256–278, 1974.
- L. Lovász, “On the ratio of optimal integral and fractional covers,” Discrete Mathematics, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 383–390, 1975.
- V. Chvátal, “A greedy heuristic for the set-covering problem,” Mathematics of Operations Research, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 233–235, 1979.
- U. Feige, “A threshold of in n for approximating set cover,” Journal of the ACM, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 634–652, 1998.
- S. Meguerdichian, F. Koushanfar, G. Qu, and M. Potkonjak, “Exposure in wireless Ad-Hoc sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the 7th Annual International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking, pp. 139–150, ACM Press, Rome, Italy, 2001.
- S. Meguerdichian, S. Slijepcevic, V. Karayan, and M. Potkonjak, “Localized algorithms in wireless Ad-Hoc networks: location discovery and sensor exposure,” in Proceedings of the 2nd ACM International Symposium on Mobile Ad Hoc Networking and Computing, pp. 106–116, ACM Press, Long Beach, CA, USA, 2001.
- C. Gui and P. Mohapatra, “Power conservation and quality of surveillance in target tracking sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the 10th Annual International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking, pp. 129–143, Philadelphia, PA, USA, October 2004.
- D. Tian and N. D. Georganas, “A coverage-preserving node scheduling scheme for large wireless sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the 1st ACM International Workshop on Wireless Sensor Networks and Applications, pp. 32–41, ACM Press, Atlanta, Ga, USA, 2002.
- B. Carbunar, A. Grama, J. Vitek, and O. Carbunar, “Redundancy and coverage detection in sensor networks,” ACM Transactions on Sensor Networks, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 94–128, 2006.
- C.-F. Huang and Y.-C. Tseng, “The coverage problem in a wireless sensor network,” in Proceedings of the 2nd ACM International Conference on Wireless Sensor Networks and Applications, pp. 115–121, ACM Press, San Diego, Calif, USA, 2003.
- H. Zhang and J. C. Hou, “Maintaining sensing coverage and connectivity in large sensor networks,” The Wireless Ad Hoc and Sensor Networks, vol. 1, pp. 89–124, 2005.
- X. Wang, G. Xing, Y. Zhang, C. Lu, R. Pless, and C. Gill, “Integrated coverage and connectivity configuration in wireless sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems, pp. 28–39, ACM Press, Los Angeles, Calif, USA, 2003.
- H. Gupta, Z. Zhou, S. R. Das, and Q. Gu, “Connected sensor cover: self-organization of sensor networks for efficient query execution,” IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 55–67, 2006.
- A. V. S. Kumar, S. Arya, and H. Ramesh, “Hardness of set cover with intersection 1,” in Proceedings of the 27th International Colloquium on Automata, Languages and Programming, pp. 624–635, Springer, London, UK, 2000.
- R. J. Fowler, M. Paterson, and S. L. Tanimoto, “Optimal packing and covering in the plane are NP complete,” Information Processing Letters, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 133–137, 1981.
- N. Megiddo and K. J. Supowit, “On the complexity of some common geometric location problems,” SIAM Journal on Computing, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 182–196, 1984.
- M. V. Marathe, V. Radhakrishnan, I. Harry, B. Hunt, and S. S. Ravi, “Hierarchically specified unit disk graphs,” Theoretical Computer Science, vol. 174, no. 1-2, pp. 23–65, 1997.
- H. Brönnimann and M. T. Goodrich, “Almost optimal set covers in finite VC-dimension,” Discrete & Computational Geometry, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 463–479, 1995.
- T. F. Gonzalez, “Covering a set of points in multidimensional space,” Information Processing Letters, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 181–188, 1991.
- D. S. Hochbaum and W. Maass, “Approximation schemes for covering and packing problems in image processing and Vlsi,” Journal of the ACM, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 130–136, 1985.
- M. Franceschetti, M. Cook, and J. Bruck, “A geometric theorem for network design,” IEEE Transactions on Computers, vol. 53, no. 4, pp. 483–489, 2004.
- M. Franceschetti, M. Cook, and J. Bruck, “A Geometric Theorem for Approximate Disk Covering Algorithms,” California Institute of Technology, Technical Report ETR035, 2001 http://www.paradise.caltech.edu/papers/etr035.pdf.
- D. Lichtenstein, “Planar formulae and their uses,” SIAM Journal on Computing, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 329–343, 1982.
- M. R. Garey and D. S. Johnson, Computers and Intractability: A Guide to the Theory of NP-Completeness, chapter A9, W.H. Freeman and Company, 1979.