- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 938521, 16 pages
A Scalable Multi-Target Tracking Algorithm for Wireless Sensor Networks
School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, ASRI, Seoul National University, Seoul 151-744, Republic of Korea
Received 21 March 2012; Accepted 31 May 2012
Academic Editor: Hasan Cam
Copyright © 2012 Songhwai Oh. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. Culler, D. Estrin, and M. Srivastava, “Overview of sensor networks,” Computer, vol. 37, no. 8, pp. 41–49, 2004.
- D. Estrin, D. Culler, K. Pister, and G. Sukhatme, “Connecting the physical world with pervasive networks,” IEEE Pervasive Computing, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 59–69, 2002.
- L. Schenato, S. Oh, S. Sastry, and P. Bose, “Swarm coordination for pursuit evasion games using sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, pp. 2493–2498, Barcelona, Spain, April 2005.
- B. Sinopoli, C. Sharp, L. Schenato, S. Schaffert, and S. S. Sastry, “Distributed control applications within sensor networks,” Proceedings of the IEEE, vol. 91, no. 8, pp. 1235–1245, 2003.
- J. Hightower and G. Borriello, “Location systems for ubiquitous computing,” Computer, vol. 34, no. 8, pp. 57–66, 2001.
- Y. Bar-Shalom and T. Fortmann, Tracking and Data Association, Academic Press, San Diego, Calif, USA, 1988.
- D. B. Reid, “An algorithm for tracking multiple targets,” IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 843–854, 1979.
- C. Chong, S. Mori, and K. Chang, “Distributed multitarget multisensor tracking,” in Multitarget-Multisensor Tracking: Advanced Applications, Y. Bar-Shalom, Ed., pp. 247–295, Artech House, Norwood, Mass, USA, 1990.
- S. Oh, S. Russell, and S. Sastry, “Markov chain Monte Carlo data association for multi-target tracking,” IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, vol. 54, no. 3, pp. 481–497, 2009.
- D. Li, K. D. Wong, Y. H. Hu, and A. M. Sayeed, “Detection, classification, and tracking of targets,” IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 17–29, 2002.
- A. Arora, P. Dutta, S. Bapat et al., “A line in the sand: a wireless sensor network for target detection, classification, and tracking,” Computer Networks, vol. 46, no. 5, pp. 605–634, 2004.
- S. Oh and S. Sastry, “Tracking on a graph,” in Proceedings of the 4th International Symposium on Information Processing in Sensor Networks (IPSN '05), pp. 195–202, Los Angeles, Calif, USA, April 2005.
- R. Brooks, D. Friedlander, J. Koch, and S. Phoha, “Tracking multiple targets with self-organizing distributed ground sensors,” Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing, vol. 64, no. 7, pp. 875–884, 2004.
- C. Sharp, S. Schaffert, A. Woo et al., “Design and implementation of a sensor network system for vehicle tracking and autonomous interception,” in Proceedings of the 2nd European Workshop onWireless Sensor Networks (EWSN '05), pp. 93–107, February 2005.
- J. Aslam, Z. Butler, F. Constantin, V. Crespi, G. Cybenko, and D. Rus, “Tracking a moving object with a binary sensor network,” in Proceedings of the ACM 1st International Conference on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems (SenSys '03), pp. 150–161, November 2003.
- W. Chen, J. Hou, and L. Sha, “Dynamic clustering for acoustic target tracking in wireless sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the 11th IEEE International Conference on Network Protocols, pp. 284–294, November 2003.
- M. Coates, “Distributed particle filters for sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the 3rd International Symposium on Information Processing in Sensor Networks (IPSN '04), pp. 99–107, April 2004.
- J. Liu, J. Liu, J. Reich, P. Cheung, and F. Zhao, “Distributed group management for track initiation and maintenance in target localization applications,” in Proceedings of the 2nd workshop on Information Processing in Sensor Networks, pp. 113–128, April 2003.
- F. Zhao, J. Liu, J. Liu, L. Guibas, and J. Reich, “Collaborative signal and information processing: an information-directed approach,” Proceedings of the IEEE, vol. 91, no. 8, pp. 1199–1209, 2003.
- J. Liu, J. Reich, and F. Zhao, “Collaborative in-network processing for target tracking,” Eurasip Journal on Applied Signal Processing, vol. 2003, no. 4, pp. 378–391, 2003.
- D. McErlean and S. Narayanan, “Distributed detection and tracking in sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the 36th Asilomar Conference on Signals Systems and Computers, pp. 1174–1178, November 2002.
- J. Shin, L. Guibas, and F. Zhao, “A distributed algorithm for managing multi-target identities in wireless ad-hoc sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the 2nd workshop on Information Processing in Sensor Networks, pp. 223–238, April 2003.
- J. Liu, M. Chu, J. Liu, J. Reich, and F. Zhao, “Distributed state representation for tracking problems in sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the 3rd International Symposium on Information Processing in Sensor Networks (IPSN '04), pp. 234–242, April 2004.
- M. Chu, S. Mitter, and F. Zhao, “Distributed multiple target tracking and data association in ad hoc sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Information Fusion, pp. 447–454, July 2004.
- J. B. Collins and J. K. Uhlmann, “Efficient gating in data association with multivariate Gaussian distributed states,” IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 909–916, 1992.
- A. Poore, “Multidimensional assignment and multitarget tracking,” in Partitioning Data Sets, I. J. Cox, P. Hansen, and B. Julesz, Eds., pp. 169–196, American Mathematical Society, Providence, RI, USA, 1995.
- S. Oh, L. Schenato, P. Chen, and S. Sastry, “Tracking and coordination of multiple agents using sensor networks: system design, algorithms and experiments,” Proceedings of the IEEE, vol. 95, no. 1, pp. 234–254, 2007.
- T. Kurien, “Issues in the design of practical multitarget tracking algorithms,” in Multitarget-Multisensor Tracking: Advanced Applications, Y. Bar-Shalom, Ed., Artech House, Norwood, Mass, USA, 1990.
- J. Hill, M. Horton, R. Kling, and L. Krishnamurthy, “The platforms enabling wireless sensor networks,” Communications of the ACM, vol. 47, no. 6, pp. 41–46, 2004.
- S. Oh, I. Hwang, and S. Sastry, “Distributed multitarget tracking and identity management,” Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 12–29, 2008.
- S. Meguerdichian, F. Koushanfar, G. Qu, and M. Potkonjak, “Exposure in wireless ad-hoc sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the 7th Annual International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking, pp. 139–150, July 2001.
- H. Pasula, S. Russell, M. Ostland, and Y. Ritov, “Tracking many objects with many sensors,” in Proceedings of the International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Stockholm, Sweden, July 1999.
- G. Roberts, “Markov chain concepts related to sampling algorithms,” in Markov Chain Monte Carlo in Practice, W. Gilks, S. Richardson, and D. Spiegelhalter, Eds., Interdisciplinary Statistics, Chapman and Hall, New York, NY, USA, 1996.
- K. Whitehouse, F. Jiang, A. Woo, C. Karlof, and D. Culler, “Sensor field localization: a deployment and empirical analysis,” Tech. Rep. UCB//CSD-04-1349, University of California, Berkeley, Calif, usa, 2004.
- Berkeley, “Mica2dot hardware design files,” 2003, motes manufactured by Crossbow Technology Inc., http://www.tinyos.net/scoop/special/hardware.
- J. Hill, R. Szewczyk, A. Woo, S. Hollar, D. Culler, and K. Pister, “System architecture directions for networked sensors,” in Proceedings of the 9th Internatinal Conference Architectural Support for Programming Languages and Operating Systems (ASPLOS-IX '00), pp. 93–104, Cambridge, Mass, USA, November 2000.
- S. Bergbreiter and K. S. J. Pister, “Cotsbots: an off-the-shelf platform for distruted robotics,” in Proceedings of the IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS '03), pp. 27–31, Las Vegas, Nev, USA, October 2003.
- Honeywell, “1- and 2- axis magnetic sensors,” http://www.ssec.honeywell.com/magnetic/datasheets/hmc1001-2&1021-2.pdf.
- A. Woo, T. Tong, and D. Culler, “Taming the underlying challenges of reliable multihop routing in sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems (SenSys '03), pp. 14–27, Los Angeles, Calif, USA, November 2003.
- M. Kushwaha, S. Oh, I. Amundson, X. Koutsoukos, and A. Ledeczi, “Target tracking in urban environments using audio-video signal processing in heterogeneous wireless sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the 42nd Asilomar Conference on Signals, Systems and Computers (ASILOMAR '08), pp. 1606–1610, Pacific Grove, Calif, USA, October 2008.
- M. Meingast, M. Kushwaha, S. Oh, X. Koutsoukos, A. Ledeczi, and S. Sastry, “Fusion-based localization for a heterogeneous camera network,” in Proceedings of the 2nd ACM/IEEE International Conference on Distributed Smart Cameras (ICDSC '08), Pacific Grove, Calif, USA, September 2008.
- R. Burkard and R. Cela, “Linear assignment problem and extensions,” Tech. Rep. 127, Karl-Franzens University of Graz, Graz, Austria, 1998.
- S. Oh, S. Sastry, and L. Schenato, “A hierarchical multiple-target tracking algorithm for sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, pp. 2197–2202, Barcelona, Spain, April 2005.