- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 109307, 13 pages
A Hybrid Energy- and Time-Driven Cluster Head Rotation Strategy for Distributed Wireless Sensor Networks
Department of Electronic, Information and Electrical Engineering, Shanghai Jiaotong University, No. 800 Dongchuan Road, Shanghai 200240, China
Received 4 October 2012; Revised 15 December 2012; Accepted 3 January 2013
Academic Editor: Wenzhong Li
Copyright © 2013 Guoxi Ma and Zhengsu Tao. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- I. F. Akyildiz, W. Su, Y. Sankarasubramaniam, and E. Cayirci, “A survey on sensor networks,” IEEE Communications Magazine, vol. 40, no. 8, pp. 102–105, 2002.
- G. Chen, C. Li, M. Ye, and J. Wu, “An unequal cluster-based routing protocol in wireless sensor networks,” Wireless Networks, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 193–207, 2009.
- D. Culler and W. Hong, “Wireless sensor networks,” Communications of the ACM, vol. 47, no. 6, pp. 30–33, 2004.
- U. C. Kozat, G. Kondylis, B. Ryu, and M. K. Marina, “Virtual dynamic backbone for mobile ad hoc networks,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Communications (ICC '01), pp. 250–255, Helsinki, Finland, June 2001.
- W. B. Heinzelman, A. P. Chandrakasan, and H. Balakrishnan, “An application-specific protocol architecture for wireless microsensor networks,” IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 660–670, 2002.
- Y. Wang, Q. Zhao, and D. Zheng, “Energy-driven adaptive clustering data collection protocol in wireless sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Intelligent Mechatronics and Automation, pp. 599–604, Chengdu, China, August 2004.
- S. Gamwarige and E. Kulasekere, “An algorithm for energy driven cluster head rotation in a distributed wireless sensor network,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Information and Automation (ICIA '05), pp. 354–359, Colombo, Sri Lanka, December 2005.
- Q. Zhang, D. Shao, L. Sun, and H. Huang, “A cluster head rotation based on energy consumption for wireless sensor network,” International Journal of Advancements in Computing Technology, vol. 4, no. 11, pp. 239–247, 2012.
- G. Smaragdakis, I. Matta, and A. Bestavros, “SEP: a stable election protocol for clustered heterogenous wireless sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the International Workshop on SANPA, Boston, Mass, USA, 2004.
- O. Younis and S. Fahmy, “HEED: a hybrid, energy-efficient, distributed clustering approach for ad hoc sensor networks,” IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 366–379, 2004.
- J. Kamimura, N. Wakamiya, and M. Murata, “Energy-efficient clustering method for data gathering in sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the 1st Workshop on Broadband Advanced Sensor Networks, October 2004.
- H. Chan and A. Perrig, “ACE: an emergent algorithm for highly uniform cluster formation,” in Proceedings of the 1st European Workshop on Sensor Networks (EWSN '04), pp. 154–171, January 2004.
- C. F. Chiasserini, I. Chlamtac, P. Monti, and A. Nucci, “An energy-efficient method for nodes assignment in cluster-based ad hoc networks,” Wireless Networks, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 223–231, 2004.
- S. Bandyopadhyay and E. J. Coyle, “An energy efficient hierarchical clustering algorithm for wireless sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the 22nd IEEE Societies Annual Joint Conference of the IEEE Computer and Communications (INFOCOM '03), vol. 3, pp. 1713–1723, 2003.
- S. Bandyopadhyay and E. J. Coyle, “Minimizing communication costs in hierarchically-clustered networks of wireless sensors,” Computer Networks, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 1–16, 2004.
- T. Moscibroda and R. Wattenhofer, “Maximizing the lifetime of dominating sets,” in Proceedings of the 19th IEEE International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS '05), April 2005.
- X. Fan and Y. Song, “Improvement on LEACH protocol of wireless sensor network,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Sensor Technologies and Applications (SENSORCOMM '07), pp. 260–264, Valencia, España, October 2007.
- R. Madan and S. Lall, “Distributed algorithms for maximum lifetime routing in wireless sensor networks,” IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, vol. 5, no. 8, pp. 2185–2193, 2006.
- F. M. Hu, Y. H. Kim, K. T. Kim, H. Y. Youn, and C. W. Park, “Energy-based selective cluster-head rotation in wireless sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Advanced Infocomm Technology (ICAIT '08), July 2008.
- S. Soro and W. B. Heinzelman, “Cluster head election techniques for coverage preservation in wireless sensor networks,” Ad Hoc Networks, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 955–972, 2009.
- Y. Wu, Z. Chen, Q. Jing, and Y. C. Wang, “LENO: LEast rotation near-optimal cluster head rotation strategy in wireless sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the 21st International Conference on Advanced Information Networking and Applications (AINA '07), pp. 195–201, Niagara Falls, Canada, May 2007.
- S. Gamwarige and C. Kulasekere, “Performance analysis of the EDCR algorithm in a distributed wireless sensor network,” in Proceedings of the IFIP International Conference on Wireless and Optical Communications Networks, Bangalore, India, April 2006.
- T. Rappaport, Wireless Communications: Principles & Practice, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, USA, 1996.
- K. Pahlavan and A. Levesque, Wireless Information Networks, Wiley, New York, NY, USA, 1995.