- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 521497, 20 pages
On Lightweight Intrusion Detection: Modeling and Detecting Intrusions Dedicated to OLSR Protocol
1UFC/FEMTO-ST Institute, UMR CNRS 6174, 25201 Montbéliard, France
2Cédric Laboratory, CNAM, 75003 Paris, France
Received 1 March 2013; Accepted 23 April 2013
Academic Editor: S. Khan
Copyright © 2013 Mouhannad Alattar et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Z. Zhao, H. Hu, G. Ahn, and R. Wu, “Risk-aware mitigation for manet routing attacks,” IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 250–260, 2012.
- B. Sun, L. Osborne, Y. Xiao, and S. Guizani, “Intrusion detection techniques in mobile ad hoc and wireless sensor networks,” IEEE Wireless Communications, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 56–63, 2007.
- S. Sesay, Z. Yang, and J. He, “A survey on mobile ad hoc wireless network,” Information Technology Journal, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 168–175, 2004.
- P. Brutch and C. Ko, “Challenges in intrusion detection for wireless ad-hoc networks,” in Proceedings of the Symposium on Applications and the Internet Workshops (SAINT '03), pp. 368–373, 2003.
- S. Khan, N. Alrajeh, and K. Loo, “Secure route selection in wireless mesh networks,” Computer Networks, vol. 56, no. 2, pp. 491–503, 2012.
- S. Corson and J. Macker, “Mobile ad hoc networking (manet): routing protocol performance issues and evaluation considerations,” IETF RFC2501, 1999.
- Y. Zhang, W. Lee, and Y. Huang, “Intrusion detection techniques for mobile wireless networks,” Wireless Networks, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 545–556, 2003.
- B. C. Cheng and R. Y. Tseng, “A context adaptive intrusion detection system for MANET,” Computer Communications, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 310–318, 2011.
- T. Eissa, S. A. Razak, and M. D. A. Ngadi, “Towards providing a new lightweight authentication and encryption scheme for MANET,” Wireless Networks, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 833–842, 2011.
- A. Irshad, W. Noshairwan, M. Shafiq, S. Khurram, E. Irshad, and M. Usman, “Security enhancement for authentication of nodes in MANET by checking the CRL status of servers,” Communications in Computer and Information Science, vol. 78, pp. 86–95, 2010.
- D. E. Denning, “An intrusion-detection model,” IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 222–232, 1987.
- T. Clausen and P. Jacquet, “Optimized link state routing protocol (OLSR),” IETF Experimental RFC 3626, 2003.
- P. Albers, O. Camp, J. Percher, et al., “Security in ad hoc networks a general intrusion detection architecture enhancing trust based approaches,” 2002.
- F. Cuppens, N. Cuppens-Boulahia, S. Nuon, and T. Ramard, “Property based intrusion detection to secure OLSR,” in Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Wireless and Mobile Communications (ICWMC '07), Guadeloupe, France, March 2007.
- W. Cohen, “Fast effective rule induction,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Machine Learning (ICML '95), 1995.
- S. Sarafijanovic and J.-Y. le Boudec, “An artificial immune system for misbehavior detection in mobile ad-hoc networks with virtual thymus, clustering, danger signal and memory detectors,” in Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Artificial Immune Systems (ICARIS '04), 2004.
- S. Sen and J. Clark, Intrusion Detection in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks in Guide to Wireless Ad Hoc Networks, Springer, London, UK, 2009.
- D. Subhadrabandhu, S. Sarkar, and F. Anjum, “A Framework for misuse detection in ad hoc networks—part II,” IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 290–303, 2006.
- L. M. Feeney and M. Nilsson, “Investigating the energy consumption of a wireless network interface in an ad hoc networking environment,” in Proceedings of the 20th Annual Joint Conference of the IEEE Computer and Communications Societies, pp. 1548–1557, April 2001.
- A. P. Lauf, R. A. Peters, and W. H. Robinson, “A distributed intrusion detection system for resource-constrained devices in ad-hoc networks,” Ad Hoc Networks, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 253–266, 2010.
- N. A. Alrajeh, S. Khan, J. Lloret, and J. Loo, “Secure routing protocol using cross-layer design and energy harvesting in wireless sensor networks,” International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks, vol. 2013, Article ID 374796, 11 pages, 2013.
- S. Sen, J. Clark, and J. Tapiador, Security Threats in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks, I. S. of Self-Organizing Networks, Auerbach Publications, 2010.
- P. Ning and K. Sun, “How to misuse AODV: a case study of insider attacks against mobile ad-hoc routing protocols,” Ad Hoc Networks, vol. 3, no. 6, pp. 795–819, 2005.
- T. Clausen, C. Dearlove, P. Jacquet, and U. Herberg, “The optimized link state routing protocol version 2,” IETF Active Internet-Draft Draft-Ietf-Manet-Olsrv2-15, 2012.
- U. Herberg and T. Clausen, “Security issues in the optimized link state routing protocol version 2 (olsrv2),” International Journal of Network Security & Its Applications, vol. 2, no. 2, 2010.
- Y. Owada, T. Maeno, H. Imai, and K. Mase, “OLSRv2 implementation and performance evaluation with link layer feedback,” in Proceedings of the International Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing Conference (IWCMC '07), pp. 67–72, New york, NY, USA, August 2007.
- F. Hong, L. Hong, and C. Fu, “Secure OLSR,” in Proceedings of the 19th International Conference on Advanced Information Networking and Applications (AINA '05), pp. 713–718, March 2005.
- L. N. A. M. Hegland, P. Spilling, and Q. Kure, “Hybrid protection of olsr,” in Electronic Notes in Theoretical Computer Science, 2006.
- P. Kunwar, S. Sofat, and D. Bansal, “Comparison of secure olsr routing protocol,” International Journal of Engineering Science, vol. 3, no. 6, p. 5049, 2011.
- A. Adnane, C. Bidan, and R. T. de Sousa Junior, “Trust-based countermeasures for securing OLSR protocol,” in Proceedings of the 7th IEEE/IFIP International Conference on Embedded and Ubiquitous Computing (EUC '09), pp. 745–752, August 2009.
- B. Wu, J. Chen, J. Chen, J. Wu, and M. Cardei, “A survey of attacks and countermeasures in mobile ad hoc networks,” in Wireless Network Security, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 2007.
- C. Adjih, D. Raffo, and P. Mühlethaler, “Attacks against OLSR: distributed key management for security,” in Proceedings of the OLSR Interop Workshop, 2005.
- G. Cervera, M. Barbeau, J. Garcia-Alfaro, and E. Kranakis, “Mitigation of topology control traffic attacks in OLSR networks,” in Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Risks and Security of Internet and Systems (CRiSIS '10), October 2010.
- P. M. Jawandhiya, M. M. Ghonge, M. S. Ali, et al., “A survey of mobile ad hoc network attacks,” International Journal of Engineering Science and Technology, vol. 2, no. 9, pp. 4063–4071, 2010.
- L. M. Feeney, “An energy consumption model for performance analysis of routing protocols for mobile ad hoc networks,” Mobile Networks and Applications, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 239–249, 2001.
- G. Riley and T. Henderson, “The ns-3 network simulator,” in Modeling and Tools for Network Simulation, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 2010.
- S. Bhattiprolu, E. Biederman, S. Hallyn, et al., “Virtual servers and checkpoint/restart in mainstream linux,” SIGOPS Operating Systems Review, vol. 42, no. 5, pp. 104–113, 2008.
- J. Zhang, J. Xing, and Z. Qin, “Taprouter: an emulating framework to run real applications on simulated mobile ad hoc network,” in Proceedings of the 44th Annual Simulation Symposium (ANSS '11), pp. 39–46, 2011.
- D. Broyles, A. Jabbar, and J. P. G. Sterbenz, “Design and analysis of a 3-d gauss-markov mobility model for highly-dynamic airborne networks,” in Proceedings of the International Telemetering Conference (ITC '10), San Diego, CA, USA, 2010.
- J. Haerri, F. Filali, and C. Bonnet, “Performance comparison of AODV and OLSR in vanets urban environments under realistic mobility patterns,” in Proceedings of the IFIP Med-Hoc-Net Workshop, 2006.
- C. H. Tseng, T. Song, P. Balasubramanyam, C. Ko, and K. Levitt, “A specification-based intrusion detection model for OLSR,” Recent Advances in Intrusion Detection, vol. 3858, pp. 330–350, 2006.
- S. Kurkowski, T. Camp, and M. Colagrosso, “Manet simulation studies: the incredibles,” SIGMOBILE Mobile Computing and Communications Review, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 50–561, 2005.
- A. Abdalla, I. Saroit, A. Kotb, et al., “Misbehavior nodes detection and isolation for MANETs OLSR protocol,” Procedia Computer Science, vol. 3, pp. 115–121, 2011.
- R. Puttini, J. Percher, L. Me, et al., “A modular architecture for distributed ids in manet,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Computational Science and Its Applications III, 2003.
- A. Adnane, R. T. de Sousa, L. Mé, and C. Bidan, “Autonomic trust reasoning enables misbehavior detection in OLSR,” in Proceedings of the 23rd Annual ACM Symposium on Applied Computing (SAC '08), pp. 2006–2013, March 2008.
- W. Wang, H. Man, and Y. Liu, “A framework for intrusion detection systems by social network analysis methods in ad hoc networks,” Security and Communication Networks, vol. 2, no. 6, pp. 669–685, 2009.
- H. Deng, R. Xu, J. Li, F. Zhang, R. Levy, and W. Lee, “Agent-based cooperative anomaly detection for wireless ad hoc networks,” in Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Systems (ICPADS '06), pp. 613–620, July 2006.
- S. Kurosawa, H. Nakayama, N. Kato, et al., “Detecting blackholes attack on AODV-based mobile ad hoc networks by dynamic learning method,” International Journal of Network Security, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 338–346, 2007.
- W. Wang, H. Wang, B. Wang, et al., “Energy-aware and selfadaptive anomaly detection scheme based on network tomography in mobile ad hoc networks,” Information Sciences, vol. 220, pp. 580–602, 2013.
- M.-Y. Su, “Prevention of selective black hole attacks on mobile ad hoc networks through intrusion detection systems,” Computer Communications, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 107–117, 2011.
- N. Marchang and R. Datta, “Collaborative techniques for intrusion detection in mobile ad-hoc networks,” Ad Hoc Networks, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 508–523, 2008.
- B. V. R. N. Yadav, B. Satyanarayana, and O. B. V. Ramanaiah, “An efficient intrusion detection system for mobile ad hoc networks,” in Emerging Trends in Computing, Informatics, Systems Sciences, and Engineering, vol. 151, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 2013.
- Y. Huang and W. Lee, “Attack analysis and detection for ad hoc routing protocols,” in Recent Advances in Intrusion Detection, vol. 3224, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 2004.
- G. Vigna, S. Gwalani, K. Srinivasan, E. M. Belding-Royer, and R. A. Kemmerer, “An intrusion detection tool for AODV-based ad hoc wireless networks,” in Proceedings of the 20th Annual Computer Security Applications Conference (ACSAC '04), pp. 16–27, December 2004.
- M. Ayachi, C. Bidan, and N. Prigent, “A trust-based ids for the aodv protocol,” in Information and Communications Security, vol. 6476, pp. 430–444, 2010.
- S. Şen and J. A. Clark, “A grammatical evolution approach to intrusion detection on mobile ad hoc networks,” in Proceedings of the 2nd ACM Conference on Wireless Network Security (WiSec '09), pp. 95–102, March 2009.
- S. Marti, T. J. Giuli, K. Lai, and M. Baker, “Mitigating routing misbehavior in mobile ad hoc networks,” in Proceedings of the 6th Annual International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking (MOBICOM '00), pp. 255–265, August 2000.
- B. Sun, K. Wu, and U. Pooch, “Routing anomaly detection in mobile ad hoc networks,” in Proceedings of The 12th International Conference on Computer Communications and Networks (ICCCN '03), 2003.
- S. Bose, S. Bharathimurugan, and A. Kannan, “Multi-layer integrated anomaly intrusion detection system for mobile adhoc networks,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Signal Processing, Communications and Networking (ICSCN '07), pp. 360–365, February 2007.
- P. Yi, Y. Zhong, and S. Zhang, “A novel intrusion detection method for mobile ad hoc networks,” in Advances in Grid Computing, vol. 3470, pp. 1183–1192, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 2005.
- C. Perkins, E. Belding-Royer, and S. Das, “Ad hoc on-demand distance vector (AODV) routing,” IETF Experimental RFC 3561, 2003.
- D. Johnson and D. Maltz, “Dynamic source routing in ad hoc wireless networks,” in Mobile Computing, pp. 153–181, Kluwer Academic, 1996.
- C. Perkins and P. Bhagwat, “Highly dynamic destinationsequenced distance-vector routing (dsdv) for mobile computers,” in Proceedings of the Conference on Communications Architectures, Protocols and Applications (SIGCOMM '94), vol. 24, pp. 234–244, 1994.
- T. Joachims, Making Large-Scale Support Vector Machine Learning Practical, MIT Press, Cambridge, Mass, USA, 1999.
- Y. Yajima and T. Kuo, “Efficient formulations for 1-svm and their application to recommendation tasks,” Journal of Computers, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 27–34, 2006.
- L. Bononi and C. Tacconi, “Intrusion detection for secure clustering and routing in Mobile Multi-hop Wireless Networks,” International Journal of Information Security, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 379–392, 2007.
- Y. Huang, W. Fan, W. Lee, et al., “Cross-feature analysis for detecting ad-hoc routing anomalies,” in Proceedings of the 23rd International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems (ICDCS '03), pp. 478–487, May 2003.
- J. Quinlan, C4. 5: Programs for Machine Learning, Morgan Kaufmann, Boston, Mass, USA, 1993.
- J. B. D. Cabrera, C. Gutiérrez, and R. K. Mehra, “Ensemble methods for anomaly detection and distributed intrusion detection in Mobile Ad-Hoc Networks,” Information Fusion, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 96–119, 2008.
- M. Wang, L. Lamont, P. Mason, and M. Gorlatova, “An effective intrusion detection approach for OLSR MANET protocol,” in Proceedings of the 13th IEEE International Conference on Network Protocols Workshop (ICNP '05), pp. 55–60, November 2005.
- C. Y. Tseng, P. Balasubramanyam, C. Ko, R. Limprasittiporn, J. Rowe, and K. Levitt, “A specification-based intrusion detection system for AODV,” in Proceedings of the 1st ACM Workshop on Security of Ad Hoc and Sensor Networks, pp. 125–134, October 2003.
- S. A. Razak, S. M. Furnell, N. L. Clarke, and P. J. Brooke, “Friend-assisted intrusion detection and response mechanisms for mobile ad hoc networks,” Ad Hoc Networks, vol. 6, no. 7, pp. 1151–1167, 2008.