- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 794805, 11 pages
On the Joint Time Synchronization and Source Localization Using TOA Measurements
1Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO 65211, USA
2School of Internet of Things (IoT) Engineering, Jiangnan University, Wuxi, Jiangsu 214122, China
Received 1 October 2012; Revised 1 January 2013; Accepted 7 January 2013
Academic Editor: Long Cheng
Copyright © 2013 Ming Sun and Le Yang. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. J. Kozick and B. M. Sadler, “Source localization with distributed sensor arrays and partial spatial coherence,” IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, vol. 52, no. 3, pp. 601–616, 2004.
- S. Gezici, Z. Tian, G. B. Giannakis et al., “Localization via ultra-wideband radios: a look at positioning aspects of future sensor networks,” IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 70–84, 2005.
- T. Li, A. Ekpenyong, and Y. F. Huang, “Source localization and tracking using distributed asynchronous sensors,” IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, vol. 54, pp. 3991–4003, 2006.
- H. C. So, “Source localization: algorithms and analysis,” in Handbook of Position Location: Theory, Practice and Advances, S. A. Zekavat and R. M. Buehrer, Eds., chapter 2, pp. 25–66, Wiley-IEEE Press, Hoboken, NJ, USA, 2011.
- M. Z. Win, A. Conti, S. Mazuelas et al., “Network localization and navigation via cooperation,” IEEE Communications Magazine, vol. 49, no. 5, pp. 56–62, 2011.
- K. W. Cheung, H. C. So, W. K. Ma, and Y. T. Chan, “Least squares algorithms for time-of-arrival-based mobile location,” IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, vol. 52, pp. 1121–1128, 2004.
- P. Biswas, T.-C. Liang, K.-C. Toh, T.-C. Wang, and Y. Ye, “Semidefinite programming approaches for sensor network localization with noisy distance measurements,” IEEE Transactions on Automation Science and Engineering, vol. 3, pp. 360–371, 2006.
- F. Chan, H. C. So, and W. K. Ma, “A novel subspace approach for cooperative localization in wireless sensor networks using range measurements,” IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, vol. 57, no. 11, pp. 4548–4553, 2009.
- H. Wymeersch, J. Lien, and M. Z. Win, “Cooperative localization in wireless networks,” Proceedings of IEEE, vol. 97, no. 2, pp. 427–450, 2009, Special issue on Ultra-Wide Bandwidth (UWB) technology and emerging applications.
- N. Patwari, A. O. Hero III, M. Perkins, N. S. Correal, and R. J. O’Dea, “Relative location estimation in wireless sensor networks,” IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, vol. 51, no. 8, pp. 2137–2148, 2003.
- K. W. Cheung and H. C. So, “A multidimensional scaling framework for mobile location using time-of-arrival measurements,” IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, vol. 53, no. 2, pp. 460–470, 2005.
- A. Beck, P. Stoica, and J. Li, “Exact and approximate solutions of source localization problems,” IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, vol. 56, no. 5, pp. 1770–1778, 2008.
- M. Sun and K. C. Ho, “Successive and asymptotically efficient localization of sensor nodes in closed-form,” IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, vol. 57, no. 11, pp. 4522–4537, 2009.
- M. Sun, L. Yang, and K. C. Ho, “Accurate sequential self-localization of sensor nodes in closed-form,” Signal Processing, vol. 92, no. 12, pp. 2940–2951, 2012.
- J. Elson, L. Girod, and D. Estrin, “Fine-grained network time synchronization using reference broadcasts,”,” in Proceedings of the 5th Symposium on Operating Systems Design and Implementation (OSDI '02), pp. 147–163, Boston, Mass, USA, December 2002.
- S. Ganeriwal, R. Kumar, and M. B. Srivastava, “Timing-sync protocol for sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems (SenSys '03), pp. 138–149, November 2003.
- M. Maroti, B. Kusy, G. Simon, and A. Ledeczi, “The flooding time synchronization protocol,” in Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems (SenSys '04), pp. 39–49, Baltimore, Md, USA, November 2004.
- K. Römer and F. Mattern, “Towards a unified view on space and time in sensor networks,” Computer Communications, vol. 28, no. 13, pp. 1484–1497, 2005.
- B. Denis, J. B. Pierrot, and C. Abou-Rjeily, “Joint distributed synchronization and positioning in UWB Ad Hoc networks using TOA,” IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 54, no. 4, pp. 1896–1910, 2006.
- H. Oliveira, E. Nakamura, and A. Loureiro, “Localization in time and space for sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the IEEE 21st International Conference on Advanced Information Networking and Applications (AINA '07), pp. 539–546, May 2007.
- S. Zhu and Z. Ding, “Joint synchronization and localization using TOAs: a linearization based WLS solution,” IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, vol. 28, no. 7, pp. 1016–1025, 2010.
- J. Zheng and Y. C. Wu, “Joint time synchronization and localization of an unknown node in wireless sensor networks,” IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, vol. 58, no. 3, pp. 1309–1320, 2010.
- S. Bancroft, “An algebraic solution of the GPS equations,” IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 56–59, 1985.
- K. L. Noh, Q. M. Chaudhari, E. Serpedin, and B. W. Suter, “Novel clock phase offset and skew estimation using two-way timing message exchanges for wireless sensor networks,” IEEE Transactions on Communications, vol. 55, no. 4, pp. 766–777, 2007.
- Z. Sahinoglu, “Improving range accuracy of ieee 802.15.4a radios in the presence of clock frequency offsets,” IEEE Communications Letters, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 244–246, 2011.
- Z. Sahinoglu and S. Gezici, “Enhanced position estimation via node cooperation,” in Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC '10), pp. 23–27, May 2010.
- M. R. Gholami, S. Gezici, M. Rydstrom, and E. G. Strom, “A distributed positioning algorithm for cooperative active and passive sensors,” in Proceedings of the 21st Annual IEEE International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications (PIMRC '10), pp. 1711–1716, September 2010.
- M. R. Gholami, S. Gezici, E. G. Strom, and M. Rydstrom, “Hybrid TW-TOA/TDOA positioning algorithms for cooperative wireless networks,” in Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC '11), June 2011.
- B. Alavi and K. Pahlavan, “Modeling of the TOA-based distance measurement error using UWB indoor radio measurements,” IEEE Communications Letters, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 275–277, 2006.
- D. Dardari, A. Conti, U. Ferner, A. Giorgetti, and M. Z. Win, “Ranging with ultrawide bandwidth signals in multipath environments,” Proceedings of the IEEE, vol. 97, no. 2, pp. 404–425, 2009, Special issue on Ultra-Wide Bandwidth (UWB) technology and emerging applications.
- A. Conti, M. Guerra, D. Dardari, N. Decarli, and M. Z. Win, “Network experiment for cooperative localization,” IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 467–475, 2012.
- Y. Shen and M. Z. Win, “Fundamental limits of wideband localization—part I: a general framwork,” IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, vol. 56, no. 10, pp. 4956–4980, 2010.
- L. L. Scharf, Statistical Signal Process, Detection, Estimation and Time Series Analysis, Addison-Wesley, Reading, Mass, USA, 1991.
- Y. T. Chan and K. C. Ho, “A simple and efficient estimator for hyperbolic location,” IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, vol. 42, no. 8, pp. 1905–1915, 1994.
- S. M. Kay, Fundamentals of Statistical Signal Processing, Estimation Theory, Prentice Hall, Englewook Cliffs, NJ, USA, 1993.
- K. C. Ho, X. Lu, and L. Kovavisaruch, “Source localization using TDOA and FDOA measurements in the presence of receiver location errors: analysis and solution,” IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 684–696, 2007.