- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 796248, 11 pages
Wireless Sensor Networks for Smart Grid Applications: A Case Study on Link Reliability and Node Lifetime Evaluations in Power Distribution Systems
1Department of Computer Programming, Trakya University, 22020 Edirne, Turkey
2Department of Computer Engineering, Bahçeşehir University, 34353 Istanbul, Turkey
3Department of Control and Automation Engineering, Yildiz Technical University, 34220 Istanbul, Turkey
Received 7 October 2012; Revised 15 January 2013; Accepted 16 January 2013
Academic Editor: Yunghsiang S. Han
Copyright © 2013 Gurkan Tuna et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- V. C. Gungor, L. Bin, and G. P. Hancke, “Opportunities and challenges of wireless sensor networks in smart grid,” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 57, no. 10, pp. 3557–3564, 2010.
- T. Sauter and M. Lobashov, “End-to-end communication architecture for smart grids,” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 58, no. 4, pp. 1218–1228, 2011.
- V. C. Gungor, D. Sahin, T. Kocak, C. Buccella, C. Cecati, and G. P. Hancke, “Smart grid technologies: communication technologies and standards,” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, vol. 7, no. 14, pp. 529–539, 2011.
- S. M. Amin and B. F. Wollenberg, “Toward a Smart Grid: power delivery for the 21st century,” IEEE Power and Energy Magazine, vol. 3, no. 5, pp. 34–41, 2005.
- DOE, “Communications requirements of smart grid technologies,” Tech. Rep., U.S. Department of Energy, Washington, DC, USA, 2010.
- Y. J. Kim, M. Thottan, V. Kolesnikov, and W. Lee, “A secure decentralized data-centric information infrastructure for smart grid,” IEEE Communications Magazine, vol. 48, no. 11, pp. 58–65, 2010.
- V. C. Gungor and F. C. Lambert, “A survey on communication networks for electric system automation,” Computer Networks, vol. 50, no. 7, pp. 877–897, 2006.
- I. F. Akyildiz, W. Su, Y. Sankarasubramaniam, and E. Cayirci, “Wireless sensor networks: a survey,” Computer Networks, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 393–422, 2002.
- C. Cano, B. Bellalta, A. Sfairopoulou, and M. Oliver, “Low energy operation in WSNs: a survey of preamble sampling MAC protocols,” Computer Networks, vol. 55, no. 15, pp. 3351–3363, 2011.
- M. A. Yigitel, O. D. Incel, and C. Ersoy, “QoS-aware MAC protocols for wireless sensor networks: a survey,” Computer Networks, vol. 55, no. 8, pp. 1982–2004, 2011.
- V. Raghunathan, A. Kansal, J. Hsu, J. Friedman, and M. Srivastava, “Design considerations for solar energy harvesting wireless embedded systems,” in Proceedings of the 4th International Symposium on Information Processing in Sensor Networks (IPSN '05), pp. 457–462, April 2005.
- Z. G. Wan, Y. K. Tan, and C. Yuen, “Review on energy harvesting and energy management for sustainable wireless sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Communication Technology, pp. 362–317, 2011.
- B. H. Calhoun, D. C. Daly, N. Verma et al., “Design considerations for ultra-low energy wireless microsensor nodes,” IEEE Transactions on Computers, vol. 54, no. 6, pp. 727–740, 2005.
- R. J. M. Vullers, R. V. Schaijk, H. J. Visser, J. Penders, and C. V. Hoof, “Energy harvesting for autonomous wireless sensor networks,” IEEE Solid-State Circuits Magazine, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 29–38, 2010.
- Y. K. Tan and S. K. Panda, “Self-autonomous wireless sensor nodes with wind energy harvesting for remote sensing of wind-driven wildfire spread,” IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, vol. 60, no. 4, pp. 1367–1377, 2011.
- B. E. Logan, B. Hamelers, R. Rozendal et al., “Microbial fuel cells: methodology and technology,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 40, no. 17, pp. 5181–5192, 2006.
- V. C. Gungor, D. Sahin, T. Kocak, et al., “A survey on smart grid potential applications and communication requirements,” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 28–42, 2013.
- Alcatel-Lucent, “Smart choices for the smart grid,” White Paper, Alcatel-Lucent, Murray Hill, NJ, USA, 2010.
- V. C. Gungor and G. Hancke, “Industrial wireless sensor networks: challenges, design principles, and technical approaches,” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 56, no. 10, pp. 4258–4265, 2009.
- S. Sudevalayam and P. Kulkarni, “Energy harvesting sensor nodes: survey and implications,” IEEE Communications Surveys & Tutorials, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 443–461, 2011.
- M. Erol-Kantarci and H. T. Mouftah, “Wireless multimedia sensor and actor networks for the next generation power grid,” Ad Hoc Networks, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 542–551, 2011.
- C. Gomez and J. Paradells, “Wireless home automation networks: a survey of architectures and technologies,” IEEE Communications Magazine, vol. 48, no. 6, pp. 92–101, 2010.
- http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-roll-rpl-19.html, 2011.
- J. W. Hui and D. E. Culler, “IPv6 in low-power wireless networks,” ProceedIngs of the IEEE, vol. 98, no. 11, pp. 1865–1878, 2010.
- T. Clausen, U. Herberg, and M. Philipp, “A critical evaluation of the IPv6 routing protocol for low power and lossy networks (RPL),” in Proceedings of the 7th IEEE International Conference on Wireless and Mobile Computing, Networking and Communications (WiMob '11), pp. 365–372, 2011.
- J. Tripathi, J. C. de Oliveira, and J. P. Vasseur, “Applicability study of RPL with local repair in smart grid substation networks,” in Proceedings of the 1st IEEE International Conference on Smart Grid Communications, pp. 262–267, 2010.
- http://www.wave2m.com/the-specification/the-platform-in-depth?view=item, 2012.
- http://www.ieee802.org/15/pub/TG4g.html, 2011.
- “A standardized and flexible IPv6 architecture for fieldarea networks,” Tech. Rep., 2011, http://www.cisco.com/web/strategy/docs/energy/ip_arch_sg_wp.pdf.
- http://www.ieee802.org/15/pub/TG4k.html, 2011.
- https://mentor.ieee.org/802.15/dcn/11/15-11-0607-00-004k-a-mac-proposal-for-lecim.pdf, 2011.
- M. Zuniga and B. Krishnamachari, “An analysis of unreliability and asymmetry in low-power wireless links,” ACM Transactions on Sensor Networks, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 1–30, 2007.
- “Realistic Wireless Link Quality Model and Generator, Autonomous Network Research Group (ANRG), University of Southern California,” 2012, http://anrg.usc.edu/www/index.php/Downloads.
- D. Jung, T. Teixeira, A. Barton-Sweeney, and A. Savvides, “Model-based design exploration of wireless sensor node lifetimes,” Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics), vol. 4373, pp. 277–292, 2007.
- F. Wang and J. Liu, “Duty-cycle-aware broadcast in wireless sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the IEEE (INFOCOM '09), pp. 468–476, 2009.
- D. Jung, T. Teixeira, and A. Savvides, “Sensor node lifetime analysis: models and tools,” ACM Transactions on Sensor Networks, vol. 5, no. 1, p. 3, 2009.
- R. Moghe, Y. Yang, F. Lambert, and D. Divan, “A scoping study of electric and magnetic field energy harvesting for wireless sensor networks in power system applications,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition (ECCE '09), pp. 3550–3557, San Jose, Calif, USA, September 2009.
- A. Bereketli and O. B. Akan, “Communication coverage in wireless passive sensor networks,” IEEE Communications Letters, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 133–135, 2009.
- B. J. Hansen, Y. Liu, R. Yang, and Z. L. Wang, “Hybrid nanogenerator for concurrently harvesting biomechanical and biochemical energy,” ACS Nano, vol. 4, no. 7, pp. 3647–3652, 2010.
- G. Tuna and K. Gulez, “Energy harvesting techniques for industrial wireless sensor networks,” in Industrial Wireless Sensor Networks: Applications, Protocols, Standards, and Products, V. C. Gungor and G. P. Hancke, Eds., CRC Press, New York, NY, USA, 2013.
- D. Niyato, M. M. Rashid, and V. K. Bhargava, “Wireless sensor networks with energy harvesting technologies: a game-theoretic approach to optimal energy management,” IEEE Wireless Communications, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 90–96, 2007.