- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 985410, 14 pages
A PSO-Optimized Minimum Spanning Tree-Based Topology Control Scheme for Wireless Sensor Networks
1College of Mathematics and Computer Science, Fuzhou University, Fuzhou 350108, China
2College of Computer, National University of Defense Technology, Changsha 410073, China
3School of Computer Science, Colorado Technical University, Colorado Spring, CO 80907, USA
Received 6 January 2013; Accepted 15 March 2013
Academic Editor: Hongju Cheng
Copyright © 2013 Wenzhong Guo et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- T. Laukkarinen, J. Suhonen, and M. Hannikainen, “A survey of wireless sensor network abstraction for application development,” International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks, vol. 2012, Article ID 740268, 12 pages, 2012.
- N. Ababneh, “Performance evaluation of a topology control algorithm for wireless sensor networks,” International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks, vol. 2010, Article ID 671385, 16 pages, 2010.
- L. Lobello and E. Toscano, “An adaptive approach to topology management in large and dense real-time wireless sensor networks,” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 314–324, 2009.
- S. Zarifzadeh, N. Yazdani, and A. Nayyeri, “Energy-efficient topology control in wireless ad hoc networks with selfish nodes,” Computer Networks, vol. 56, no. 2, pp. 902–914, 2012.
- B. Chen, K. Jamieson, H. Balakrishnan, and R. Morris, “Span: an energy-efficient coordination algorithm for topology maintenance in ad hoc wireless networks,” Wireless Networks, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 481–494, 2002.
- Y. Ding, C. Wang, and L. Xiao, “An adaptive partitioning scheme for sleep scheduling and topology control in wireless sensor networks,” IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, vol. 20, no. 9, pp. 1352–1365, 2009.
- W. R. Heinzelman, A. Chandrakasan, and H. Balakrishnan, “Energy-efficient communication protocol for wireless microsensor networks,” in Proceedings of the 33rd Annual Hawaii International Conference on System Siences (HICSS-33 '00), pp. 1–10, January 2000.
- S. Lindsay and C. Raghavendra, “PEGASIS: power-efficient gathering in sensor information systems,” in Proceedings of IEEE Aerospace Conference, pp. 1125–1130, 2002.
- L. Li, J. Y. Halpern, P. Bahl, Y. M. Wang, and R. Wattenhofer, “Analysis of a cone-based distributed topology control algorithm for wireless multi-hop networks,” in Proceedings of the 20th Annual ACM Symposium on Principles of Distributed Computing, pp. 264–273, August 2001.
- V. Rodoplu and T. H. Meng, “Minimum energy mobile wireless networks,” IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, vol. 17, no. 8, pp. 1333–1344, 1999.
- L. Li and J. Y. Halpern, “A minimum-energy path-preserving topology-control algorithm,” IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 910–921, 2004.
- N. Li, J. C. Hou, and L. Sha, “Design and analysis of an mst-based topology control algorithm,” in Proceedings of the 22nd Annual Joint Conference of the IEEE Computer and Communication Scocieties, pp. 1702–1712, 2003.
- W. Z. Guo, J. H. Park, L. T. Yang, A. V. Vasilakos, N. X. Xiong, and G. L. Chen, “Design and analysis of a MST-based topology control scheme with PSO for wireless sensor networks,” in Proceedings of IEEE Asia-Pacific Services Computing Conference, pp. 360–367, December 2011.
- Y. H. Chen, “Polynomial time approximation schemes for the constrained minimum spanning tree problem,” Journal of Applied Mathematics, vol. 2012, Article ID 394721, 8 pages, 2012.
- G. Zhou and M. Gen, “Genetic algorithm approach on multi-criteria minimum spanning tree problem,” European Journal of Operational Research, vol. 114, no. 1, pp. 141–152, 1999.
- J. Gottlieb, B. A. Julstrom, G. R. Raidl, and F. Rothlauf, “Prufer numbers: a poor representation of spanning trees for evolutionary search,” in Proceedings of the Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference, pp. 343–350, 2001.
- N. Srinivas and K. Deb, “Multi-objective optimization using nondominated sorting in genetic algorithms,” Evolutional Computation, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 221–248, 1994.
- J. D. Knowles, Local-search and hybrid evolutionary algorithms for Pareto optimization [thesis], University of Reading, West Berkshire, UK, 2002.
- G. Chen, S. Chen, W. Guo, and H. Chen, “The multi-criteria minimum spanning tree problem based genetic algorithm,” Information Sciences, vol. 177, no. 22, pp. 5050–5063, 2007.
- D. A. van Veldhuizen and G. B. Lamont, “Multiobjective evolutionary algorithm test suites,” in Proceedings of the 14th ACM Symposium on Applied Computing (SAC '99), pp. 351–357, March 1999.
- J. Kennedy and R. Eberhart, “Particle swarm optimization,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Neural Networks, vol. 4, pp. 1942–1948, December 1995.
- X. Li and X. Yao, “Cooperatively coevolving particle swarms for large scale optimization,” IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 210–224, 2012.
- S. S. Jiang, Z. W. Zhao, S. Mou, Z. S. Wu, and Y. Luo, “Linear decision fusion under the control of constrained PSO for WSNs,” International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks, vol. 2012, Article ID 871596, 11 pages, 2012.
- Y. Morsly, N. Aouf, M. S. Djouadi, and M. Richardson, “Particle swarm optimization inspired probability algorithm for optimal camera network placement,” IEEE Sensors Journal, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 1402–1412, 2012.
- Y. Shen, G. Wang, and C. Tao, “Particle swarm optimization with novel processing strategy and its application,” International Journal of Computational Intelligence Systems, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 100–111, 2011.
- D. Caputo, F. Grimaccia, M. Mussetta, and R. E. Zich, “Genetical swarm optimization of multihop routes in wireless sensor networks,” Applied Computational Intelligence and Soft Computing, vol. 2010, Article ID 523943, 14 pages, 2010.
- K. Zielinski, P. Weitkemper, R. Laur, and K. D. Kammeyer, “Optimization of power allocation for interference cancellation with particle swarm optimization,” IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 128–150, 2009.
- R. V. Kulkarni and G. K. Venayagamoorthy, “Particle swarm optimization in wireless-sensor networks: a brief survey,” IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics Part C: Applications and Reviews, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 262–267, 2011.
- W. Z. Guo, H. L. Gao, G. L. Chen, and L. Yu, “Particle swarm optimization for the degree-constrained MST problem in WSN topology control,” in Proceedings of International Conference on Machine Learning and Cybernetics, vol. 3, pp. 1793–1798, July 2009.
- W. N. Chen, J. Zhang, H. S. H. Chung, W. L. Zhong, W. G. Wu, and Y. H. Shi, “A novel set-based particle swarm optimization method for discrete optimization problems,” IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 278–300, 2010.
- G. Lapizco-Encinas, C. Kingsford, and J. Reggia, “Particle swarm optimization for multimodal combinatorial problems and its application to protein design,” in Proceedings of IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation, pp. 1–8, July 2010.
- Q. K. Pan, M. F. Tasgetiren, and Y. C. Liang, “A discrete particle swarm optimization algorithm for the permutation flowshop sequecing problem with Makespan criteria,” in Proceedings of the 26th SGAI International Conference on Innovative Techniques and Applications of Artificial Intelligence, pp. 19–31, 2006.
- S. H. Ling, F. Jiang, H. T. Nguyen, and K. Y. Chan, “Hybrid fuzzy logic-based particle swarm optimization for flow shop scheduling problem,” International Journal of Computational Intelligence and Applications, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 335–356, 2011.
- R. M. Aliguliyev, “Clustering techniques and discrete particle swarm optimization algorithm for multi-document summarization,” Computational Intelligence, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 420–448, 2010.
- W. Z. Guo, N. X. Xiong, A. V. Vasilakos, G. L. Chen, and C. L. Yu, “Distributed k-connected fault-tolerant topology control algorithms with PSO in future autonomic sensor systems,” International Journal of Sensor Networks, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 53–62, 2012.
- R. Balling, “The maximin fitness function: multi-objective city and regional planning,” in Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Evolutionary Multi-Criterion Optimization, vol. 2632, pp. 1–15, 2003.
- F. Neumann and M. Laumanns, “Speeding up approximation algorithms for NP-hard spanning forest problems by multi-objective optimization,” in Electronic Colloquium on Computational Complexity, Report no. 29, 2005.
- E. Zitzler, Evolutionary Algorithms for Multi-Objective Optimization: Methods and Applications, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Zurich, Switzerland, 1999.
- R. E. Steuer, Multiple Criteria Optimization: Theory, Computation, and Application, John & Wiley Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1986.
- E. Zitzler, M. Laumanns, and L. Thiele, “SPEA2: improving the strength pareto evolutionary algorithm,” in Proceedings of Evolutionary Methods for Design, Optimization and Control with Applications to Industrial Problems (EUROGEN '01), September 2001.
- W. J. Conover, Practical Nonparametric Statistics, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 3rd edition, 1999.
- E. Zitzler, L. Thiele, M. Laumanns, C. M. Fonseca, and V. G. da Fonseca, “Performance assessment of multiobjective optimizers: an analysis and review,” IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 117–132, 2003.