- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Endocrinology
Volume 2010 (2010), Article ID 351385, 18 pages
Role of Vitamin D in Insulin Secretion and Insulin Sensitivity for Glucose Homeostasis
1Department of Nutrition Sciences, University of Alabama at Birmingham, AL 35233, USA
2Department of Pediatrics, Division of Pediatric Endocrinology and Metabolism, The Children's Hospital, University of Alabama at Birmingham, AL 35233, USA
Received 20 April 2009; Accepted 16 June 2009
Academic Editor: Vin Tangpricha
Copyright © 2010 Jessica A. Alvarez and Ambika Ashraf. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [57 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Kwame Osei, “25-OH Vitamin D: Is It the Universal Panacea for Metabolic Syndrome and Typ e 2 Diabetes?,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, vol. 95, no. 9, pp. 4220–4222, 2010.
- Helen Barrett, and Aidan McElduff, “Vitamin D and pregnancy: An old problem revisited,” Best Practice & Research Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 527–539, 2010.
- Maria Hoyer-Hansen, Sasja Pauline Schultz Nordbrandt, and Marja Jaattela, “Autophagy as a basis for the health-promoting effects of vitamin D,” Trends in Molecular Medicine, vol. 16, no. 7, pp. 295–302, 2010.
- Georgios M. Anifandis, Konstantinos Dafopoulos, Christina I. Messini, Nektarios Chalvatzas, Nikolaos Liakos, Spyros Pournaras, and Ioannis E. Messinis, “Prognostic value of follicular fluid 25-OH vitamin D and glucose levels in the IVF outcome,” Reproductive Biology and Endocrinology, vol. 8, 2010.
- Sheena Kayaniyil, Ravi Retnakaran, Julia A. Knight, Ying Qi, Bruce A. Perkins, Stewart B. Harris, Bernard Zinman, and Anthony J. Hanley, “Association of vitamin D with insulin resistance and β-cell dysfunction in subjects at risk for type 2 diabetes: Response to Muscogiuri et al.,” Diabetes Care, vol. 33, no. 7, pp. e100, 2010.
- Jessica A. Alvarez, Nikki C. Bush, Suzanne S. Choquette, Gary R. Hunter, Betty E. Darnell, Robert A. Oster, and Barbara A. Gower, “Vitamin D intake is associated with insulin sensitivity in African American , but not European American, women,” Nutrition & Metabolism, vol. 7, 2010.
- W. Dahl, “Breads and Cereals: A Possible Solution for Vitamin D Deficiency?,” Cereal Foods World, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 63–65, 2010.
- Jessica A. Alvarez, Ambika P. Ashraf, Gary R. Hunter, and Barbara A. Gower, “Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D and parathyroid hormone are independent determina nts of whole-body insulin sensitivity in women and may contribute to lower insulin sensitivity in African Americans,” American Journal Of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 92, no. 6, pp. 1344–1349, 2010.
- William A. Bauman, Racine R. Emmons, Christopher M. Cirnigliaro, Steven C. Kirshblum, and Ann M. Spungen, “An effective oral vitamin D replacement therapy in persons with spinal cord injury,” Journal of Spinal Cord Medicine, vol. 34, no. 5, pp. 455–460, 2011.
- Robert Scragg, “Vitamin D and public health: an overview of recent research on common disea ses and mortality in adulthood,” Public Health Nutrition, vol. 14, no. 9, pp. 1515–1532, 2011.
- Moira S. Hutchinson, Yngve Figenschau, Bjorg Almas, Inger Njolstad, and Rolf Jorde, “Serum 25-Hydroxyvitamin D Levels in Subjects with Reduced Glucose Tolerance and Type 2 Diabetes - The Tromso OGTT-Study,” International Journal for Vitamin and Nutrition Research, vol. 81, no. 5, pp. 317–327, 2011.
- V. Majumdar, D. Nagaraja, and R. Christopher, “Vitamin D status and metabolic syndrome in Asian Indians,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 35, no. 8, pp. 1131–1134, 2011.
- Vijay Ganji, Xu Zhang, Nida Shaikh, and Vin Tangpricha, “Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D concentrations are associated with prevalence of metabolic syndrome and various cardiometabolic risk factors in US children and adolescents based on assay-adjusted serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D data from NHANES 2001-2006,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 94, no. 1, pp. 225–233, 2011.
- Christine Dalgård, Maria Skaalum Petersen, Pal Weihe, and Philippe Grandjean, “Vitamin D status in relation to glucose metabolism and type 2 diabetes in septuagenarians,” Diabetes Care, vol. 34, no. 6, pp. 1284–1288, 2011.
- Jessica A. Alvarez, Barbara A. Gower, Ambika P. Ashraf, and Gary R. Hunter, “Will vitamin D reduce insulin resistance? Still a long way to go Reply,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 93, no. 3, pp. 673–674, 2011.
- Simona Moscatiello, Raffaella Di Luzio, Anna Simona Sasdelli, and Giulio Marchesini, “Managing the combination of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease and metabolic syndrome,” Expert Opinion on Pharmacotherapy, vol. 12, no. 17, pp. 2657–2672, 2011.
- Shilan Aslani, Arash Hossein-Nezhad, Khadijeh Mirzaei, Zhila Maghbooli, Azam Najm Afshar, and Farzaneh Karimi, “VDR FokI polymorphism and its potential role in the pathogenesis of gestati onal diabetes mellitus and its complications,” Gynecological Endocrinology, vol. 27, no. 12, pp. 1055–1060, 2011.
- Saif Abu-Mouch, Zvi Fireman, Jacob Jarchovsky, Abdel-Rauf Zeina, and Nimer Assy, “Vitamin D supplementation improves sustained virologic response in chronic hepatitis C (genotype 1)-naive patients,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 17, no. 47, pp. 5184–5190, 2011.
- Guri Grimnes, Yngve Figenschau, Bjorg Almas, and Rolf Jorde, “Vitamin D, Insulin Secretion, Sensitivity, and Lipids Results From a Case-C ontrol Study and a Randomized Controlled Trial Using Hyperglycemic Clamp Te chnique,” Diabetes, vol. 60, no. 11, pp. 2748–2757, 2011.
- Dilnasheen Meerza, Imrana Naseem, and Jamal Ahmad, “Diabetes, pancreatic cancer and vitamin D. Is there a link?,” Diabetes & Metabolic Syndrome: Clinical Research & Reviews, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 218–221, 2011.
- Tom Richart, Lutgarde Thijs, Tim Nawrot, Jin Yu, Tatiana Kuznetsova, Elisabeth J. Balkestein, Harry A. Struijker-Boudier, and Jan A. Staessen, “The Metabolic Syndrome and Carotid Intima-Media Thickness in Relation to th e Parathyroid Hormone to 25-OH-D-3 Ratio in a General Population,” American Journal Of Hypertension, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 102–109, 2011.
- Sheena Kayaniyil, Reinhold Vieth, Stewart B. Harris, Ravi Retnakaran, Julia A. Knight, Hertzel C. Gerstein, Bruce A. Perkins, Bernard Zinman, and Anthony J. Hanley, “Association of 25(OH)D and PTH with Metabolic Syndrome and Its Traditional and Nontraditional Components,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, vol. 96, no. 1, pp. 168–175, 2011.
- Christian L. Roth, Clinton Elfers, Mario Kratz, and Andrew N. Hoofnagle, “Vitamin D Deficiency in Obese Children and Its Relationship to Insulin Resistance and Adipokines,” Journal of Obesity, vol. 2011, pp. 1–7, 2011.
- Silvia Savastano, Rossella Valentino, Carolina Di Somma, Francesco Orio, Claudia Pivonello, Federica Passaretti, Valentina Brancato, Pietro Formisano, Annamaria Colao, Francesco Beguinot, and Giovanni Tarantino, “Serum 25-Hydroxyvitamin D Levels, phosphoprotein enriched in diabetes gene product (PED/PEA-15) and leptin-to-adiponectin ratio in women with PCOS,” Nutrition and Metabolism, vol. 8, 2011.
- Dina Shahin, Asmaa Hegazy, Amal Seleem, and Dalia Shaheen, “Serum 25 (OH) vit D3 is an independent predictor of cardiometabolic risk factors among first-degree relatives of Egyptian women with metabolic syndrome,” Cardiovascular Endocrinology, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 36–42, 2012.
- S. S. Harris, A. G. Pittas, and N. J. Palermo, “A randomized, placebo-controlled trial of vitamin D supplementation to impr ove glycaemia in overweight and obese African Americans,” Diabetes Obesity & Metabolism, vol. 14, no. 9, pp. 789–794, 2012.
- Dilnasheen Meerza, Imrana Naseem, and Jamal Ahmed, “Effect of 1, 25(OH)2 vitamin D3 on glucose homeostasis and DNA damage in type 2 diabetic mice,” Journal of Diabetes and its Complications, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 363–368, 2012.
- Liss Lotte N. Husemoen, Betina H. Thuesen, Mogens Fenger, Torben Jorgensen, Charlotte Glumer, Jannet Svensson, Lars Ovesen, Daniel R. Witte, and Allan Linneberg, “Serum 25(OH)D and Type 2 Diabetes Association in a General Population A pro spective study,” Diabetes Care, vol. 35, no. 8, pp. 1695–1700, 2012.
- Surajeet K. Patra, Huma Nasrat, Binita Goswami, and Anju Jain, “Vitamin D as a predictor of insulin resistance in Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome,” Diabetes & Metabolic Syndrome: Clinical Research & Reviews, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 146–149, 2012.
- Y. H. M. Poel, P. Hummel, P. Lips, F. Stam, T. van der Ploeg, and S. Simsek, “Vitamin D and gestational diabetes: A systematic review and meta-analysis,” European Journal of Internal Medicine, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 465–469, 2012.
- Sowjanya Bachali, K. Dasu, K. Ramalingam, and J. N. Naidu, “Vitamin D Deficiency and Insulin Resistance in Normal and Type 2 Diabetes Subjects,” Indian Journal of Clinical Biochemistry, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 74–78, 2012.
- A. Deleskog, A. Hilding, K. Brismar, A. Hamsten, S. Efendic, and C. -G. Ostenson, “Low serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D level predicts progression to type 2 diabetes in individuals with prediabetes but not with normal glucose tolerance,” Diabetologia, vol. 55, no. 6, pp. 1668–1678, 2012.
- Yasar Colak, Ilyas Tuncer, Ebubekir Senates, Oguzhan Ozturk, Levent Doganay, and Yusuf Yilmaz, “Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease: A Nutritional Approach,” Metabolic Syndrome and Related Disorders, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 161–166, 2012.
- Hye Yin Park, Youn-Hee Lim, Jin Hee Kim, Sanghyuk Bae, Se-Young Oh, and Yun-Chul Hong, “Association of Serum 25-Hydroxyvitamin D Levels with Markers for Metabolic Syndrome in the Elderly: A Repeated Measure Analysis,” Journal of Korean Medical Science, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 653–660, 2012.
- Robyn Balden, Amutha Selvamani, and Farida Sohrabji, “Vitamin D deficiency exacerbates experimental stroke injury and dysregulates ischemia-induced inflammation in adult rats,” Endocrinology, vol. 153, no. 5, pp. 2420–2435, 2012.
- Raziah dehghani Firouzabadi, Abbas Aflatoonian, Seyedehzalfa Modarresi, Leila Sekhavat, and Somayeh MohammadTaheri, “Therapeutic effects of calcium & vitamin D supplementation in women with PCOS,” Complementary Therapies in Clinical Practice, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 85–88, 2012.
- Silvia Lorente-Cebrian, Anna Eriksson, Thomas Dunlop, Niklas Mejhert, Ingrid Dahlman, Gaby Astrom, Eva Sjolin, Kerstin Wahlen, Carsten Carlberg, Jurga Laurencikiene, Per Heden, Peter Arner, and Mikael Ryden, “Differential effects of 1 alpha,25-dihydroxycholecalciferol on MCP-1 and ad iponectin production in human white adipocytes,” European Journal of Nutrition, vol. 51, no. 3, pp. 335–342, 2012.
- Christian L. Roth, Clinton T. Elfers, Dianne P. Figlewicz, Susan J. Melhorn, Gregory J. Morton, Andrew Hoofnagle, Matthew M. Yeh, James E. Nelson, and Kris V. Kowdley, “Vitamin D deficiency in obese rats exacerbates nonalcoholic fatty liver dis ease and increases hepatic resistin and toll-like receptor activation,” Hepatology, vol. 55, no. 4, pp. 1103–1111, 2012.
- Kumaravel Rajakumar, Javier de las Heras, SoJung Lee, Michael F. Hlck, and Silva A. Arslanian, “25-Hydroxyvitamin D Concentrations and In Vivo Insulin Sensitivity and beta -Cell Function Relative to Insulin Sensitivity in Black and White Youth,” Diabetes Care, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 627–633, 2012.
- Assy Nimer, and Abu Mouch, “Vitamin D improves viral response in hepatitis C genotype 2-3 naive patiten ts,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 18, no. 8, pp. 800–805, 2012.
- Tea Skaaby, Lise Lotte Nystrup Husemoen, Charlotta Pisinger, Torben Jorgensen, Betina Heinsbaek Thuesen, Mogens Fenger, and Allan Linneberg, “Vitamin D Status and Cause-Specific Mortality: A General Population Study,” Plos One, vol. 7, no. 12, 2012.
- L. L. N. Husemoen, T. Skaaby, B. H. Thuesen, T. Jorgensen, R. V. Fenger, and A. Linneberg, “Serum 25(OH)D and incident type 2 diabetes: a cohort study,” European Journal Of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 66, no. 12, pp. 1309–1314, 2012.
- Ying-ying Wu, Tao Yu, Xiao-hui Zhang, Yan-shan Liu, Feng Li, Yan-ying Wang, Yong-yue Wang, and Ping Gong, “1,25(OH)(2)D-3 inhibits the deleterious effects induced by high glucose on osteoblasts through undercarboxylated osteocalcin and insulin signaling,” Journal Of Steroid Biochemistry And Molecular Biology, vol. 132, no. 1-2, pp. 112–119, 2012.
- Shaum M. Kabadi, Brian K. Lee, and Longjian Liu, “Joint Effects of Obesity and Vitamin D Insufficiency on Insulin Resistance and Type 2 Diabetes Results from the NHANES 2001-2006,” Diabetes Care, vol. 35, no. 10, pp. 2048–2054, 2012.
- Erica Stivelman, and Ravi Retnakaran, “Role of vitamin D in the pathophysiology and treatment of type 2 diabetes,” Current Diabetes Reviews, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 42–47, 2012.
- Shehab, Al-Jarallah, Mojiminiyi, Al Mohamedy, and Abdella, “Does Vitamin D deficiency play a role in peripheral neuropathy in Type 2 diabetes?,” Diabetic Medicine, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 43–49, 2012.
- Stefan Pilz, Katharina Kienreich, Daniel Stückler, Andreas Meinitzer, and Andreas Tomaschitz, “Associations of Sun Exposure with 25-Hydroxyvitamin D and Parathyroid Hormone Levels in a Cohort of Hypertensive Patients: The Graz Endocrine Causes of Hypertension (GECOH) Study,” International Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 2012, pp. 1–8, 2012.
- Valeria Hirschler, Gustavo MacCallinni, Tomas Gilligan, Claudio Gonzalez, Molinari Claudia, Fernando Smithius, and Claudio Aranda, “Association of vitamin D with insulin resistance in Argentine boys: A pilot study,” Journal of Pediatric Biochemistry, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 91–99, 2012.
- Inka Miñambres, Joan Sánchez-Hernández, Jose Luis Sánchez-Quesada, Jose Rodríguez, Alberto de Leiva, and Antonio Pérez, “The Association of Hypovitaminosis D with the Metabolic Syndrome Is Independent of the Degree of Obesity,” ISRN Endocrinology, vol. 2012, pp. 1–5, 2012.
- Mark R. Goldstein, and Luca Mascitelli, “Do Statins Cause Diabetes?,” Current Diabetes Reports, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 381–390, 2013.
- E. M. Brouwer-Brolsma, H. A. Bischoff-Ferrari, R. Bouillon, E. J. M. Feskens, C. J. Gallagher, E. Hypponen, D. J. Llewellyn, E. Stoecklin, J. Dierkes, A. K. Kies, F. J. Kok, C. Lamberg-Allardt, U. Moser, S. Pilz, W. H. Saris, N. M. van Schoor, P. Weber, R. Witkamp, A. Zittermann, and L. C. P. G. M. de Groot, “Vitamin D: do we get enough? A discussion between vitamin D experts in orde r to make a step towards the harmonisation of dietary reference intakes for vitamin D across Europe,” Osteoporosis International, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 1567–1577, 2013.
- Elske M. Brouwer-Brolsma, Edith J. M. Feskens, Wilma T. Steegenga, and Lisette C. P. G. M. de Groot, “Associations of 25-hydroxyvitamin D with fasting glucose, fasting insulin, dementia and depression in European elderly: the SENECA study,” European Journal of Nutrition, vol. 52, no. 3, pp. 917–925, 2013.
- Stefan Pilz, Katharina Kienreich, Femke Rutters, Renate de Jongh, Adriana J. van Ballegooijen, Martin Gruebler, Andreas Tomaschitz, and Jacqueline M. Dekker, “Role of Vitamin D in the Development of Insulin Resistance and Type 2 Diabe tes,” Current Diabetes Reports, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 261–270, 2013.
- Farida Sohrabji, Amutha Selvamani, and Robyn Balden, “Revisiting the timing hypothesis: Biomarkers that define the therapeutic wi ndow of estrogen for stroke,” Hormones And Behavior, vol. 63, no. 2, pp. 222–230, 2013.
- L L N Husemoen, T Skaaby, T Martinussen, T Jørgensen, B H Thuesen, C Kistorp, J Jeppesen, J P Thyssen, M Meldgaard, P B Szecsi, M Fenger, and A Linneberg, “Investigating the causal effect of vitamin D on serum adiponectin using a mendelian randomization approach,” European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 2013.
- Ying-ying Wu, Tao Yu, Xiao-yong Yang, Feng Li, Li Ma, Yang Yang, Xiao-guang Liu, Yong-yue Wang, and Ping Gong, “Vitamin D-3 and insulin combined treatment promotes titanium implant osseoi ntegration in diabetes mellitus rats,” Bone, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 1–8, 2013.
- Shaum M. Kabadi, Longjian Liu, Amy H. Auchincloss, and Issa F. Zakeri, “Multivariate Path Analysis of Serum 25-Hydroxyvitamin D Concentration, Inflammation, and Risk of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus,” Disease Markers, vol. 35, pp. 187–193, 2013.