- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Endocrinology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 139787, 3 pages
Islet Cell Biology, Regeneration, and Transplantation
1Schulze Diabetes Institute, Department of Surgery, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
2Alpha Hospital and Research Center, Institute of Diabetes and Endocrinology, Madurai, Tamilnadu 625009, India
3Division of Endocrinology, Metabolism, and Diabetes, Department of Medicine, University of Colorado School of Medicine, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
4Baylor Simmons Transplant Institute, Baylor University Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75246, USA
Received 2 December 2012; Accepted 2 December 2012
Copyright © 2012 A. N. Balamurugan et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. S. Jun, “Regeneration of pancreatic beta cells,” Frontiers in Bioscience, vol. 13, pp. 6170–6182, 2008.
- S. Bonner-Weir and G. C. Weir, “New sources of pancreatic β-cells,” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 23, no. 7, pp. 857–861, 2005.
- A. N. Balamurugan, R. Bottino, N. Giannoukakis, and C. Smetanka, “Prospective and challenges of islet transplantation for the therapy of autoimmune diabetes,” Pancreas, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 231–243, 2006.
- M. D. Bellin, F. B. Barton, A. Heitman et al., “Potent induction immunotherapy promotes long-term insulin independence after islet transplantation in type 1 diabetes,” American Journal of Transplantation, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 1576–1583, 2012.
- J. Domínguez-Bendala, L. Inverardi, and C. Ricordi, “Regeneration of pancreatic beta-cell mass for the treatment of diabetes,” Expert Opinion on Biological Therapy, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 731–741, 2012.
- P. A. Halban, M. S. German, S. E. Kahn, and G. C. Weir, “Current status of islet cell replacement and regeneration therapy,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 95, no. 3, pp. 1034–1043, 2010.
- D. Pipeleers, M. Chintinne, B. Denys, G. Martens, B. Keymeulen, and F. Gorus, “Restoring a functional β-cell mass in diabetes,” Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism, vol. 10, supplement 4, pp. 54–62, 2008.