- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Endocrinology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 235680, 7 pages
Association of MICA Alleles with Autoimmune Thyroid Disease in Korean Children
1Department of Pediatrics, College of Medicine and Seoul St. Mary’s Hospital, The Catholic University of Korea, 505 Banpo-Dong, Seocho-Gu, Seoul 137-040, Republic of Korea
2Department of Microbiology, College of Medicine and Seoul St. Mary’s Hospital, The Catholic University of Korea, 505 Banpo-Dong, Seocho-Gu, Seoul 137-040, Republic of Korea
3Catholic Hematopoietic Stem Cell Bank, College of Medicine and Seoul St. Mary’s Hospital, The Catholic University of Korea, 505 Banpo-Dong, Seocho-Gu, Seoul 137-040, Republic of Korea
Received 7 August 2012; Revised 19 October 2012; Accepted 20 October 2012
Academic Editor: Ajai Kumar Srivastav
Copyright © 2012 Won Kyoung Cho et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. Parham, The Immune System, Garland Science, London, UK, 3rd edition, 2009.
- Y. Tomer and T. F. Davies, “Searching for the autoimmune thyroid disease susceptibility genes: from gene mapping to gene function,” Endocrine Reviews, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 694–717, 2003.
- G. Stassi and R. De Maria, “Autoimmune thyroid disease: new models of cell death in autoimmunity,” Nature Reviews Immunology, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 195–204, 2002.
- K. B. Huh, H. C. Lee, H. M. Kim et al., “Human leukocyte antigen (HLA) in Korean patients with autoimmune thyroid diseases,” Korean Journal of Internal Medicine, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 243–248, 1986.
- K. Honda, H. Tamai, T. Morita, K. Kuma, Y. Nishimura, and T. Sasazuki, “Hashimoto's thyroiditis and HLA in Japanese,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 69, no. 6, pp. 1268–1273, 1989.
- Y. H. Sohn, C. H. Cha, H. B. Oh, M. H. Kim, S. E. Choi, and O. J. Kwon, “MICA polymorphisms and haplotypes with HLA-B and HLA-DRB1 in Koreans,” Tissue Antigens, vol. 75, no. 1, pp. 48–55, 2010.
- N. Tsuchiya, M. Shiota, S. Moriyama, et al., “MICA allele typing of HLA-B27 positive Japanese patients with seronegative spondylarthropathies and healthy individuals: differential linkage disequilibrium with HLA-B27 subtypes,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 68–73, 1998.
- K. Yabuki, N. Mizuki, M. Ota et al., “Association of MICA gene and HLA-B*5101 with Behcet's disease in Greece,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 40, no. 9, pp. 1921–1926, 1999.
- H. B. Choi, H. Han, J. I. Youn, T. Y. Kim, and T. G. Kim, “MICA 5.1 allele is a susceptibility marker for psoriasis in the Korean population,” Tissue Antigens, vol. 56, no. 6, pp. 548–550, 2000.
- F. Y. Huang, Y. J. Lee, M. R. Chen et al., “Polymorphism of transmembrane region of MICA gene and Kawasaki disease,” Experimental and Clinical Immunogenetics, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 130–137, 2000.
- W. K. Cho, M. H. Jung, E. J. Choi, H. B. Choi, T. G. Kim, and B. K. Suh, “Association of HLA alleles with autoimmune thyroid disease in Korean children,” Hormone Research in Paediatrics, vol. 76, no. 5, pp. 328–334, 2011.
- D. A. Fisher, T. H. Oddie, D. E. Johnson, and J. C. Nelson, “The diagnosis of Hashimoto's thyroiditis,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 40, no. 5, pp. 795–801, 1975.
- M. T. Rees, J. Downing, and C. Darke, “A typing system for the major histocompatibility complex class I chain related genes A and B using polymerase chain reaction with sequence-specific primers,” Genetic Testing, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 93–110, 2005.
- S. C. Werner, “Modification of the classification of the eye changes of Graves' disease: recommendations of the ad hoc committee of the American Thyroid Association,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 203–204, 1977.
- S. C. Werner, “Modification of the classification of the eye changes of Graves' disease,” American Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 83, no. 5, pp. 725–727, 1977.
- M. Frecker, V. Stenszky, C. Balazs, L. Kozma, E. Kraszits, and N. R. Farid, “Genetic factors in Graves' ophthalmopathy,” Clinical Endocrinology, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 479–485, 1986.
- A. K. Lancaster, M. P. Nelson, D. Meyer, R. M. Single, and G. Thomson, “Software framework for biostatistics core,” in Immunobiology of the Human MHC: Proceedings of the 13th International Hisotcompatibility Workshop and Conference and the XIII International Congress of Histocompatibility and Immunogenetics, J. A. Hansen, Ed., pp. 32–44, International Histocompatibility Working Group Press, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Wash, USA, 2006.
- R. M. Single, D. Meyer, G. Thomson, and S. R. Bornstein, “Statistical methods for analysis of population genetic data,” in Immunobiology of the Human MHC: Proceedings of the 13th International Hisotcompatibility Workshop and Conference and the XIII International Congress of Histocompatibility and Immunogenetics, J. A. Hansen, Ed., Histocompatibility Working Group Press, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Wash, USA, 2006.
- A. Svejgaard and L. P. Ryder, “HLA and disease associations: detecting the strongest association,” Tissue Antigens, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 18–27, 1994.
- A. Fogdell-Hahn, A. Ligers, M. Grønning, J. Hillert, and O. Olerup, “Multiple sclerosis: a modifying influence of HLA class I genes in an HLA class II associated autoimmune disease,” Tissue Antigens, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 140–148, 2000.
- H. B. Jie and N. Sarvetnick, “The role of NK cells and NK cell receptors in autoimmune disease,” Autoimmunity, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 147–153, 2004.
- F. S. Lo, Y. J. Lee, C. Y. Huang et al., “Polymorphism in the transmembrane region of the major histocompatibility complex class I chain-related gene A: association of five GCT repetitions with Graves' disease in children,” Thyroid, vol. 13, no. 9, pp. 839–843, 2003.
- R. W. M. Collins, “Human MHC class I chain related (MIC) genes: their biological function and relevance to disease and transplantation,” European Journal of Immunogenetics, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 105–114, 2004.
- H. A. F. Stephens, “MICA and MICB genes: can the enigma of their polymorphism be resolved?” Trends in Immunology, vol. 22, no. 7, pp. 378–385, 2001.
- Z. Li, V. Groh, R. K. Strong, and T. Spies, “A single amino acid substitution causes loss of expression of a MICA allele,” Immunogenetics, vol. 51, no. 3, pp. 246–248, 2000.
- J. Robinson, M. Pérez-Rodríguez, M. J. Waller et al., “MICA sequences 2000,” Immunogenetics, vol. 53, no. 2, pp. 150–169, 2001.
- O. Ashiru, P. Boutet, L. Fernández-Messina et al., “Natural killer cell cytotoxicity is suppressed by exposure to the human NKG2D ligand MICA*008 that is shed by tumor cells in exosomes,” Cancer Research, vol. 70, no. 2, pp. 481–489, 2010.
- H. R. Salih, S. Holdenrieder, and A. Steinle, “Soluble NKG2D ligands: prevalence, release, and functional impact,” Frontiers in Bioscience, vol. 13, no. 9, pp. 3448–3456, 2008.
- V. Groh, A. Brühl, H. El-Gabalawy, J. L. Nelson, and T. Spies, “Stimulation of T cell autoreactivity by anomalous expression of NKG2D and its MIC ligands in rheumatoid arthritis,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 100, no. 16, pp. 9452–9457, 2003.
- R. S. Bahn, “Graves' ophthalmopathy,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 362, no. 8, pp. 726–738, 2010.
- J. R. Wall, “Autoimmunity and Graves' ophthalmopathy,” in Eye and Orbit in Thyroid Disease, C. A. Gorman, R. R. Waller, and J. A. Dyer, Eds., pp. 103–145, Raven Press, New York, NY, USA, 1984.
- K. Ohtsuka and Y. Nakamura, “Human leukocyte antigens associated with hyperthyroid Graves ophthalmopathy in Japanese patients,” American Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 126, no. 6, pp. 805–810, 1998.
- M. Frecker, G. Mercer, V. M. Skanes, and N. R. Farid, “Major histocompatibility complex (MHC) factors predisposing to and protecting against Graves' eye disease,” Autoimmunity, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 307–315, 1988.
- Y. J. Park, H. K. Chung, D. J. Park et al., “Polymorphism in the promoter and exon 1 of the cytotoxic T lymphocyte antigen-4 gene associated with autoimmune thyroid disease in Koreans,” Thyroid, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 453–459, 2000.
- C. W. Pyo, S. S. Hur, Y. K. Kim, H. B. Choi, T. Y. Kim, and T. G. Kim, “Distribution of MICA alleles and haplotypes associated with HLA in the Korean population,” Human Immunology, vol. 64, no. 3, pp. 378–384, 2003.