- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Endocrinology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 237084, 9 pages
Application of the New Classification on Patients with a Disorder of Sex Development in Indonesia
1Department of Human Genetics, Center for Biomedical Research, Faculty of Medicine Diponegoro University (FMDU), Semarang 50321, Indonesia
2Division of Pediatric Endocrinology, Department of Pediatrics, Sophia Children's Hospital, Erasmus MC, P.O. Box 2060, 3000 CD Rotterdam, The Netherlands
3Department of Urology, Dr. Kariadi Hospital, Semarang 50321, Indonesia
4Department of Pathology, Josephine Nefkens Institute, Erasmus University Medical Center, 3015 CE Rotterdam, The Netherlands
5Section of Endocrinology, Department of Internal Medicine, Erasmus University Medical Center, 3015 CE Rotterdam, The Netherlands
6Department of Clinical Genetics, Erasmus University Medical Centre, 3015 CE Rotterdam, The Netherlands
7Department of Paediatric Urology, Erasmus University Medical Centre, 3015 CE Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Received 26 July 2011; Accepted 7 October 2011
Academic Editor: Olaf Hiort
Copyright © 2012 A. Zulfa Juniarto et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. T. MacLaughlin and P. K. Donahoe, “Sex determination and differentiation,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 350, no. 4, pp. 367–378, 2004.
- D. Wilhelm, S. Palmer, and P. Koopman, “Sex determination and gonadal development in mammals,” Physiological Reviews, vol. 87, no. 1, pp. 1–28, 2007.
- R. Rey, “How to evaluate gonadal function in the cryptorchid boy. Lessons from new testicular markers,” Journal of Pediatric Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 357–364, 2003.
- A. L. Boehmer, A. O. Brinkmann, L. A. Sandkuijl, et al., “17Beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase-3 deficiency: diagnosis, phenotypic variability, population genetics, and worldwide distribution of ancient and de novo mutations,” The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, vol. 84, no. 12, pp. 4713–4721, 1999.
- A. L.M. Boehmer, H. Brüggenwirth, C. Van Assendelft, et al., “Genotype Versus phenotype in families with androgen insensitivity syndrome,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 86, no. 9, pp. 4151–4160, 2001.
- A. Richter-Unruh, J. W. M. Martens, M. Verhoef-Post et al., “Leydig cell hypoplasia: cases with new mutations, new polymorphisms and cases without mutations in the luteinizing hormone receptor gene,” Clinical Endocrinology, vol. 56, no. 1, pp. 103–112, 2002.
- E. L. Van Den Akker, J. W. Koper, A. L. Boehmer, et al., “Differential inhibition of 17alpha-hydroxylase and 17,20-lyase activities by three novel missense CYP17 mutations identified in patients with P450c17 deficiency,” The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, vol. 87, no. 12, pp. 5714–5721, 2002.
- I. A. Hughes, C. Houk, S. F. Ahmed, and P. A. Lee, “Lawson Wilkins Pediatric Endocrine Society /European Society for Paediatric Endocrinology Consensus G. Consensus statement on management of intersex disorders,” Journal of Pediatric Urology, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 148–162, 2006.
- I. A. Hughes, “Disorders of sex development: a new definition and classification,” Best Practice and Research in Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 119–134, 2008.
- M. Cools, S. L. S. Drop, K. P. Wolffenbuttel, J. W. Oosterhuis, and L. H. J. Looijenga, “Germ cell tumors in the intersex gonad: old paths, new directions, moving frontiers,” Endocrine Reviews, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 468–484, 2006.
- C. A. Quigley, A. De Bellis, K. B. Marschke, M. K. El-Awady, E. M. Wilson, and F. S. French, “Androgen receptor defects: historical, clinical, and molecular perspectives,” Endocrine Reviews, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 271–321, 1995.
- F. H. Pierik, J. A. Deddens, A. Burdorf, S. M. P. F. D. M. Keizer-Schrama, F. H. D. Jong, and R. F. A. Weber, “The hypothalamus-pituitary-testis axis in boys during the first six months of life: a comparison of cryptorchidism and hypospadias cases with controls,” International Journal of Andrology, vol. 32, no. 5, pp. 453–461, 2009.
- S. W. J. Lamberts, E. G. Bons, H. A. Bruining, and F. H. De Jong, “Differential effects of the imidazole derivatives etomidate, ketoconazole and miconazole and of metyrapone on the secretion of cortisol and its precursors by human adrenocortical cells,” Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, vol. 240, no. 1, pp. 259–264, 1987.
- A.-M. Andersson, A. Juul, J. H. Petersen, J. Müller, N. P. Groome, and N. E. Skakkebæk, “Serum inhibin B in healthy pubertal and adolescent boys: relation to age, stage of puberty, and follicle-stimulating hormone, luteinizing hormone, testosterone, and estradiol levels,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 82, no. 12, pp. 3976–3981, 1997.
- S. A. Miller, D. D. Dykes, and H. F. Polesky, “A simple salting out procedure for extracting DNA from human nucleated cells,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 16, no. 3, p. 1215, 1988.
- K. Goossens, A. Z. Juniarto, M. A. Timmerman et al., “Lack of correlation between phenotype and genotype in untreated 21-hydroxylase-deficient Indonesian patients,” Clinical Endocrinology, vol. 71, no. 5, pp. 628–635, 2009.
- Androgen Receptor Gene Mutations Database.
- B. Gottlieb, L. K. Beitel, and M. A. Trifiro, “Variable expressivity and mutation databases: the androgen receptor gene mutations database,” Human Mutation, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 382–388, 2001.
- R. Hersmus, B. H. C. G. M. de Leeuw, K. P. Wolffenbuttel et al., “New insights into type II germ cell tumor pathogenesis based on studies of patients with various forms of disorders of sex development (DSD),” Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology, vol. 291, no. 1-2, pp. 1–10, 2008.
- P. Philibert, A. Biason-Lauber, R. Rouzier, et al., “Identification and functional analysis of a new WNT4 gene mutation among 28 adolescent girls with primary amenorrhea and Müllerian duct abnormalities: a French collaborative study,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 93, no. 3, pp. 895–900, 2008.
- J. R. Newmark, D. O. Hardy, D. C. Tonb et al., “Androgen receptor gene mutations in human prostate cancer,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 89, no. 14, pp. 6319–6323, 1992.
- H. Peterziel, Z. Culig, J. Stober et al., “Mutant androgen receptors in prostatic tumors distinguish between amino-acid-sequence requirements for transactivation and ligand binding,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 63, no. 4, pp. 544–550, 1995.
- P. Elfferich, A. Z. Juniarto, H. J. Dubbink et al., “Functional analysis of novel androgen receptor mutations in a unique cohort of Indonesian patients with a disorder of sex development,” Sexual Development, vol. 3, no. 5, pp. 237–244, 2009.
- M. Cools, K. Van Aerde, A. M. Kersemaekers et al., “Morphological and immunohistochemical differences between gonadal maturation delay and early germ cell neoplasia in patients with undervirilization syndromes,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 90, no. 9, pp. 5295–5303, 2005.
- K. L. Armstrong, C. Henderson, N. T. Hoan, and G. L. Warne, “Living with congenital adrenal hyperplasia in Vietnam: a survey of parents,” Journal of Pediatric Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 19, no. 10, pp. 1207–1223, 2006.
- A. Bajpai, M. Kabra, and P. S. N. Menon, “21-Hydroxylase deficiency: clinical features, laboratory profile and pointers to diagnosis in Indian children,” Indian Pediatrics, vol. 41, no. 12, pp. 1226–1232, 2004.
- S. Nimkarn, P. Sangacharoenkit, P. Sawathiparnich et al., “Ambiguous genitalia: an overview of 22 years experience and the diagnostic approach in the Pediatric Department, Siriraj Hospital,” Journal of the Medical Association of Thailand, vol. 85, supplement 2, pp. S496–S505, 2002.
- G. L. Warne and J. Raza, “Disorders of sex development (DSDs), their presentation and management in different cultures,” Reviews in Endocrine and Metabolic Disorders, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 227–236, 2008.
- P. W. Speiser, R. Azziz, L. S. Baskin et al., “Congenital adrenal hyperplasia due to steroid 21-hydroxylase deficiency: an Endocrine Society clinical practice guideline,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 95, no. 9, pp. 4133–4160, 2010.
- K. A. Strnadová, F. Votava, J. Lebl et al., “Prevalence of congenital adrenal hyperplasia among sudden infant death in the Czech Republic and Austria,” European Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 166, no. 1, pp. 1–4, 2007.
- E. F. C. van Rossum and S. W. J. Lamberts, “Glucocorticoid resistance syndrome: a diagnostic and therapeutic approach,” Best Practice and Research: Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 611–626, 2006.
- D. Piersma, M. Verhoef-Post, E. M. J. J. Berns, and A. P. N. Themmen, “LH receptor gene mutations and polymorphisms: an overview,” Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology, vol. 260-262, pp. 282–286, 2007.
- F. Tüttelmann, N. Dykstra, A. P. N. Themmen, J. A. Visser, E. Nieschlag, and M. Simoni, “Anti-Müllerian hormone in men with normal and reduced sperm concentration and men with maldescended testes,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 91, no. 5, pp. 1812–1819, 2009.
- R. Rey, “Anti-Müllerian hormone in disorders of sex determination and differentiation,” Arquivos Brasileiros de Endocrinologia e Metabologia, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 26–36, 2005.
- A. Z. Juniarto, K. Goossens, B. A. Setyawati, S. L. S. Drop, F. H. de Jong, and S. M. H. Faradz, “Correlation between androstenedione and 17-hydroxyprogesterone levels in saliva and plasma in treated patients with congenital adrenal hyperplasia,” Singapore Medical Journal, vol. 52, no. 11, pp. 810–813, 2011.