- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Endocrinology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 296017, 10 pages
Low Glycemic Index Carbohydrates versus All Types of Carbohydrates for Treating Diabetes in Pregnancy: A Randomized Clinical Trial to Evaluate the Effect of Glycemic Control
1Nutrition Research Department, Instituto Nacional de Perinatología Isidro Espinosa de los Reyes, Montes Urales 800, Lomas de Virreyes, 11000 Mexico City, Mexico
2Endocrinology Department, Instituto Nacional de Perinatología Isidro Espinosa de los Reyes, Montes Urales 800, Lomas de Virreyes, 11000 Mexico City, Mexico
3Unidad de Vinculación, Facultad de Medicina, UNAM, Instituto Nacional de Medicina Genomica, 04510 Mexico City, Mexico
Received 12 April 2012; Revised 16 October 2012; Accepted 17 October 2012
Academic Editor: Anil K. Agarwal
Copyright © 2012 Otilia Perichart-Perera et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Mexican Ministry of Health, National Registry of Health information, 2011, http://www.sinais.salud.gob.mx/mortalidad/.
- J. A. Rull, C. A. Aguilar-Salinas, R. Rojas, J. M. Rios-Torres, F. J. Gómez-Pérez, and G. Olaiz, “Epidemiology of type 2 diabetes in Mexico,” Archives of Medical Research, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 188–196, 2005.
- G. Olaiz-Fernández, J. Rivera-Dommarco, T. Shamah-Levy, et al., National Health and Nutrition Survey 2006, 2006.
- A. Ramirez-Torres, “Diabetes mellitus gestacional. Experience in a third level institution,” Ginecología y Obstetricia de México, vol. 73, pp. 484–491, 2005.
- J. M. Baeten, E. A. Bukusi, and M. Lambe, “Pregnancy complications and outcomes among overweight and obese nulliparous women,” American Journal of Public Health, vol. 91, no. 3, pp. 436–440, 2001.
- E. Burstein, A. Levy, M. Mazor, A. Wiznitzer, and E. Sheiner, “Pregnancy outcome among obese women: a prospective study,” American Journal of Perinatology, vol. 25, no. 9, pp. 561–566, 2008.
- E. A. Reece, “The fetal and maternal consequences of gestational diabetes mellitus,” Journal of Maternal-Fetal and Neonatal Medicine, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 199–203, 2010.
- A. Espinosa De Los Monteros, A. Parra, R. Hidalgo, and M. Zambrana, “The after breakfast 50-g, 1-hour glucose challenge test in urban Mexican pregnant women: its sensitivity and specificity evaluated by three diagnostic criteria for gestational diabetes mellitus,” Acta Obstetricia et Gynecologica Scandinavica, vol. 78, no. 4, pp. 294–298, 1999.
- G. Forsbach, C. Cantú-Diaz, J. Vázquez-Lara, M. A. Villanueva-Cuellar, C. Alvarez y García, and E. Rodríguez-Ramírez, “Gestational diabetes mellitus and glucose intolerance in a Mexican population,” International Journal of Gynecology and Obstetrics, vol. 59, no. 3, pp. 229–232, 1997.
- L. Jovanovic, “Medical nutritional therapy in pregnant women with pregestational diabetes mellitus,” Journal of Maternal-Fetal and Neonatal Medicine, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 21–28, 2000.
- American Diabetes Association, “Position statement: gestational diabetes mellitus,” Diabetes Care, vol. 27, pp. 88–90, 2004.
- A. Dornhorst and G. Frost, “The principles of dietary management of gestational diabetes: reflection on current evidence,” Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 145–156, 2002.
- R. H. Knopp, M. S. Magee, V. Raisys, T. Benedetti, and B. Bonet, “Hypocaloric diets and ketogenesis in the management of obese gestational diabetic women,” Journal of the American College of Nutrition, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 649–667, 1991.
- C. A. Crowther, J. E. Hiller, J. R. Moss, A. J. McPhee, W. S. Jeffries, and J. S. Robinson, “Effect of treatment of gestational diabetes mellitus on pregnancy outcomes,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 352, no. 24, pp. 2477–2486, 2005.
- M. B. Landon, C. Y. Spong, E. Thom et al., “A multicenter, randomized trial of treatment for mild gestational diabetes,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 361, no. 14, pp. 1339–1348, 2009.
- D. Thomas and E. J. Elliott, “Low glycaemic index, or low glycaemic load, diets for diabetes mellitus,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, no. 1, Article ID CD006296, 2009.
- J. Tieu, C. A. Crowther, and P. Middleton, “Dietary advice in pregnancy for preventing gestational diabetes mellitus,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, no. 2, Article ID CD006674, 2008.
- R. G. Moses, M. Barker, M. Winter, P. Petocz, and J. C. Brand-Miller, “Can a low-glycemic index diet reduce the need for insulin in gestational diabetes mellitus? A randomized trial,” Diabetes Care, vol. 32, no. 6, pp. 996–1000, 2009.
- American Dietetic Association, Medical Nutrition Therapy: Nutrition Practice Guidelines for Gestational Diabetes, American Dietetic Association, Chicago, Ill, USA, 2001.
- S. J. Gillespie, K. D. Kulkarni, and A. E. Daly, “Using carbohydrate counting in diabetes clinical practice,” Journal of the American Dietetic Association, vol. 98, no. 8, pp. 897–905, 1998.
- K. Foster-Powell, S. H. A. Holt, and J. C. Brand-Miller, “International table of gylcemic index and glycemic load values: 2002,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 76, no. 1, pp. 5–56, 2002.
- A. C. Frati-Munari, R. A. Roca-Vides, R. J. López-Pérez, I. de Vivero, and M. Ruiz-Velazco, “The glycemic index of some foods common in Mexico,” Gaceta Medica de Mexico, vol. 127, no. 2, pp. 163–170, 1991.
- M. Sugiyama, A. C. Tang, Y. Wakaki, and W. Koyama, “Glycemic index of single and mixed meal foods among common Japanese foods with white rice as a reference food,” European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 57, no. 6, pp. 743–752, 2003.
- World Health Organization, “Diet, nutrition and the prevention of chronic diseases,” WHO Technical Report Series, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland, 2003.
- K. Rasmussen and A. Yaktine, Weight Gain during Pregnancy: Reexamining the Guidelines. Institute of Medicine and National Research Council, National Academy Press, Washington, DC, USA, 2009.
- M. Chávez, M. Hernández, and J. Roldán, Tablas de uso práctico del valor nutrimental de los alimentos de mayor consumo en México, Instituto Nacional de Nutrición Salvador Zubirán, Mexico City, Mexico, 1992.
- T. M. S. Wolever, P. M. Nguyen, J. L. Chiasson et al., “Determinants of diet glycemic index calculated retrospectively from diet records of 342 individuals with non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 59, no. 6, pp. 1265–1269, 1994.
- World Health Organization, WHO Child Growth Standards: Length/Height for age, Weight for age, Weight for length, weight for height, and body mass index for age. Methods and Development, 2006.
- T. R. Fenton, “A new growth chart for preterm babies: babson and Benda's chart updated with recent data and a new format,” BMC Pediatrics, vol. 3, article 13, 2003.
- J. M. Engels and P. Diehr, “Imputation of missing longitudinal data: a comparison of methods,” Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, vol. 56, no. 10, pp. 968–976, 2003.
- C. A. Major, M. J. Henry, M. De Veciana, and M. A. Morgan, “The effects of carbohydrate restriction in patients with diet- controlled gestational diabetes,” Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 91, no. 4, pp. 600–604, 1998.
- D. Reader, P. Splett, and E. P. Gunderson, “Impact of gestational diabetes mellitus nutrition practice guidelines implemented by registered dietitians on pregnancy outcomes,” Journal of the American Dietetic Association, vol. 106, no. 9, pp. 1426–1433, 2006.
- L. G. Jovanovic, “Using meal-based self-monitoring of blood glucose as a tool to improve outcomes in pregnancy complicated by diabetes,” Endocrine Practice, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 239–247, 2008.
- A. M. Siega-Riz, A. M. Siega-Riz, and B. Laraia, “The implications of maternal overweight and obesity on the course of pregnancy and birth outcomes,” Maternal and Child Health Journal, vol. 10, no. 5, supplement, pp. S153–S156, 2006.
- N. J. Sebire, M. Jolly, J. P. Harris et al., “Maternal obesity and pregnancy outcome: a study of 287 213 pregnancies in London,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 25, no. 8, pp. 1175–1182, 2001.
- R. G. Moses, M. Luebcke, W. S. Davis et al., “Effect of a low-glycemic-index diet during pregnancy on obstetric outcomes,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 84, no. 4, pp. 807–812, 2006.
- A. J. Drake and B. R. Walker, “The intergenerational effects of fetal programming: non-genomic mechanisms for the inheritance of low birth weight and cardiovascular risk,” Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 180, no. 1, pp. 1–16, 2004.
- H. Delisle, Programming of Chronic Disease by Impaired Fetal Nutrition. Evidence and Implications for Policy and Intervention Strategies, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland, 2002.
- P. Haggarty, D. M. Campbell, S. Duthie et al., “Diet and deprivation in pregnancy,” British Journal of Nutrition, vol. 102, no. 10, pp. 1487–1497, 2009.
- C. J. Homko and E. A. Reece, “Self-monitoring of blood glucose in gestational diabetes,” Journal of Maternal-Fetal and Neonatal Medicine, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 389–395, 2002.
- I. M. Buzzard, C. L. Faucett, R. W. Jeffery et al., “Monitoring dietary change in a low-fat diet intervention study: advantages of using 24-hour dietary recalls vs food records,” Journal of the American Dietetic Association, vol. 96, no. 6, pp. 574–579, 1996.