- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Endocrinology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 306094, 13 pages
Acromegaly: Role of Surgery in the Therapeutic Armamentarium
1Department of Neurosurgery, Hospital de Especialidades, Centro Médico Nacional Siglo XXI, 06720 Mexico City, DF, Mexico
2Centro Neurológico ABC, 05300 Mexico City, DF, Mexico
3Department of Neurology, Hospital de Especialidades, Centro Médico Nacional Siglo XXI, 06720 Mexico City, DF, Mexico
4Department of Endocrinology, Hospital de Especialidades, Centro Médico Nacional Siglo XXI, 06720 Mexico City, DF, Mexico
Received 31 May 2012; Accepted 19 August 2012
Academic Editor: Chiung-Chyi Shen
Copyright © 2012 Gerardo Guinto et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Melmed, “Acromegaly pathogenesis and treatment,” The Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 119, no. 11, pp. 3189–3202, 2009.
- M. Vance, “Pituitary disorders: comprehensive management,” in Growth Hormone-Secreting Adenomas, A. F. Krisht and T. G. Tindall, Eds., pp. 235–242, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 1999.
- R. R. Lonser, B. A. Kindzelski, G. U. Mehta, J. A. Jane, and E. H. Oldfield, “Acromegaly without imaging evidence of pituitary adenoma,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 95, no. 9, pp. 4192–4196, 2010.
- K. Thapar and E. Laws, “Pituitary disorders: comprehensive management,” in Growth Hormone-Secreting Pituitary Tumors: Operative Management, A. F. Krisht and T. Tindall, Eds., pp. 243–258, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 1999.
- S. Melmed, A. Colao, A. Barkan et al., “Guidelines for acromegaly management: an update,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 94, no. 5, pp. 1509–1517, 2009.
- G. Guinto-Balanzar, B. E. López-Félix, F. Cohn-Zurita, V. H. Pérez-Pérez, B. Nettel-Rueda, and F. Domínguez-Cortinas, “Macroadenomas de hipófisis. Un reto neuroquirúrgico,” Cirugia y Cirujanos, vol. 71, no. 5, pp. 350–358, 2003.
- A. P. Amar and M. H. Weiss, “Pituitary anatomy and physiology,” Neurosurgery Clinics of North America, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 11–23, 2003.
- A. Sloan, K. Black, and D. Becker, Lesions of the Sella Turcica: Surgery of the Skull Base, Lippincot-Raven Publishers, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 1998.
- G. Guinto, M. Abdo, and R. Contreras, “Manejo Quirúrgico de los Macroadenomas de Hipófisis no Funcionantes,” Focus Neuroendocrinológico, vol. 3, pp. 4–10, 2011.
- S. Arellano, P. Aguilar, B. Domínguez, et al., “Segundo Consenso Nacional de Acromegalia: recomendaciones para su diagnóstico, tratamiento y seguimiento,” Revista de Endocrinología y Nutrición, vol. 15, pp. 7–16, 2007.
- A. Sata and K. K. Y. Ho, “Growth hormone measurements in the diagnosis and monitoring of acromegaly,” Pituitary, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 165–172, 2007.
- M. Bidlingmaier and C. J. Strasburger, “Growth hormone assays: current methodologies and their limitations,” Pituitary, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 115–119, 2007.
- A. M. Brooke and W. M. Drake, “Serum IGF-I levels in the diagnosis and monitoring of acromegaly,” Pituitary, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 173–179, 2007.
- A. Giustina, P. Chanson, M. D. Bronstein et al., “A consensus on criteria for cure of acromegaly,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 95, no. 7, pp. 3141–3148, 2010.
- S. Manjila, O. C. Wu, F. R. Khan, M. M. Khan, B. M. Arafah, and W. R. Selman, “Pharmacological management of acromegaly: a current perspective,” Neurosurgical Focus, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 1–9, 2010.
- I. Ciric, M. Mikhael, and T. Stafford, “Transsphenoidal microsurgery of pituitary macroadenomas with long-term follow-up results,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 59, no. 3, pp. 395–401, 1983.
- J. A. Jane, K. Thapar, G. J. Kaptain et al., “Pituitary surgery: transsphenoidal approach,” Neurosurgery, vol. 51, no. 2, pp. 435–444, 2002.
- A. Barkan, M. D. Bronstein, O. D. Bruno et al., “Management of acromegaly in Latin America: expert panel recommendations,” Pituitary, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 168–175, 2010.
- P. C. Davis, K. A. Gokhale, G. J. Joseph et al., “Pituitary adenoma: correlation of half-dose gadolinium-enhanced MR imaging with surgical findings in 26 patients,” Radiology, vol. 180, pp. 779–784, 1991.
- E. R. Laws Jr., “Neurosurgical management of acromegaly,” in Contemporary Diagnosis and Management of Pituitary Adenomas, P. R. Cooper, Ed., pp. 53–59, American Association of Neurological Surgeons, Park Ridge, Ill, USA, 1990.
- A. Colao, R. S. Auriemma, M. Galdiero, G. Lombardi, and R. Pivonello, “Effects of initial therapy for five years with somatostatin analogs for acromegaly on growth hormone and insulin-like growth factor-I levels, tumor shrinkage, and cardiovascular disease: a prospective study,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 94, no. 10, pp. 3746–3756, 2009.
- M. Mercado, A. L. Espinosa de los Monteros, E. Sosa et al., “Clinical-biochemical correlations in acromegaly at diagnosis and the real prevalence of biochemically discordant disease,” Hormone Research, vol. 62, no. 6, pp. 293–299, 2004.
- A. L. Espinosa-de-los-Monteros, E. Sosa, S. Cheng et al., “Biochemical evaluation of disease activity after pituitary surgery in acromegaly: a critical analysis of patients who spontaneously change disease status,” Clinical Endocrinology, vol. 64, no. 3, pp. 245–249, 2006.
- M. L. Vance and E. R. Laws, “Role of medical therapy in the management of acromegaly,” Neurosurgery, vol. 56, no. 5, pp. 877–885, 2005.
- G. Guinto, M. Abdo, M. Mercado, P. Guinto, E. Nishimura, and N. Arechiga, “Diaphragma sellae: a surgical reference for transsphenoidal resection of pituitary macroadenomas,” World Neurosurgery, vol. 75, no. 2, pp. 286–293, 2011.
- W. J. G. Oyen, G. F. F. M. Pieters, E. Meijer, J. Van Laarhoven, A. G. H. Smals, and P. W. C. Kloppenborg, “Which factors predict the results of pituitary surgery in acromegaly?” Acta Endocrinologica, vol. 117, no. 4, pp. 491–496, 1988.
- G. T. Tindall, N. M. Oyesiku, N. B. Watts, R. V. Clark, J. H. Christy, and D. A. Adams, “Transsphenoidal adenomectomy for growth hormone-secreting pituitary adenomas in acromegaly: outcome analysis and determinants of failure,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 78, no. 2, pp. 205–215, 1993.
- D. A. Ross and C. B. Wilson, “Results of transsphenoidal microsurgery for growth hormone-secreting pituitary adenoma in a series of 214 patients,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 68, no. 6, pp. 854–867, 1988.
- M. Lee Vance, “Medical treatment of functional pituitary tumors,” Neurosurgery Clinics of North America, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 81–87, 2003.
- P. U. Freda, C. M. Reyes, A. T. Nuruzzaman, R. E. Sundeen, and J. N. Bruce, “Basal and glucose-suppressed GH levels less than 1 μg/L in newly diagnosed acromegaly,” Pituitary, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 175–180, 2003.
- U. Plöckinger, “Medical therapy of acromegaly,” International Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 2012, Article ID 268957, 22 pages, 2012.
- A. Guyton and J. Hall, Pituitary Hormones and Their Control by the Hypothalamus: Textbook of Medical Physiology, chapter 75, Elsevier Saunders, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 11th edition, 2006.
- P. U. Freda, “Somatostatin analogs in acromegaly,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 87, no. 7, pp. 3013–3018, 2002.
- P. M. Stewart, K. F. Kane, S. E. Stewart, I. Lancranjan, and M. C. Sheppard, “Depot long-acting somatostatin analog (sandostatin-LAR) is an effective treatment for acromegaly,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 80, no. 11, pp. 3267–3272, 1995.
- A. Colao, D. Ferone, P. Marzullo et al., “Effect of different dopaminergic agents in the treatment of acromegaly,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 82, no. 2, pp. 518–523, 1997.
- Z. Merza, “Modern treatment of acromegaly,” Postgraduate Medical Journal, vol. 79, no. 930, pp. 189–194, 2003.
- G. Minniti, C. Scaringi, and R. Maurizi, “Radiation techniques for acromegaly,” Radiation Oncology, vol. 6, no. 167, pp. 1–8, 2011.
- “Consensus statement. Radiosurgery Practice Guideline Initiative,” Stereotactic Radiosurgery for Patients with Pituitary Adenomas, April 2004.
- P. J. Jenkins, P. Bates, M. N. Carson, P. M. Stewart, and J. A. H. Wass, “Conventional pituitary irradiation is effective in lowering serum growth hormone and insulin-like growth factor-I in patients with acromegaly,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 91, no. 4, pp. 1239–1245, 2006.
- J. Jane Jr., R. M. Starke, M. A. Elzoghby, et al., “Endoscopic transsphenoidal surgery for acromegaly: remission using modern criteria, complications, and predictors of outcome,” The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, vol. 96, pp. 2732–2740, 2011.
- L. F. Grasso, R. Pivonello, and A. Colao, “Somatostatin analogs as a first-line treatment in acromegaly: when is it appropriate?” Current Opinion in Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Obesity, vol. 19, pp. 288–294, 2012.
- L. Katznelson, J. L. D. Atkinson, D. M. Cook, S. Z. Ezzat, A. H. Hamrahian, and K. K. Miller, “Medical guidelines for clinical practice for the diagnosis and treatment of acromegaly,” Endocrine Practice, vol. 17, supplement 4, pp. 1–44, 2011.