- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Endocrinology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 414812, 7 pages
Generation of Transplantable Beta Cells for Patient-Specific Cell Therapy
1Department of Surgery, University of British Columbia, 3100, 910 West 10th Avenue, Vancouver, BC, Canada V5Z 4E3
2Department of Pediatrics, University of British Columbia, 3100, 910 West 10th Avenue, Vancouver, BC, Canada V5Z 4E3
Received 2 November 2011; Accepted 24 February 2012
Academic Editor: Bashoo Naziruddin
Copyright © 2012 Xiaojie Wang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Diabetes Control and Complications Trial Research Group, “Effect of intensive diabetes treatment on the development and progression of long-term complications in adolescents with insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus: diabetes control and complications trial. Diabetes Control and Complications Trial Research Group,” The Journal of pediatrics, vol. 125, no. 2, pp. 177–188, 1994.
- G. L. Warnock, N. M. Kneteman, E. A. Ryan et al., “Continued function of pancreatic islets after transplantation in type 1 diabetes,” The Lancet, vol. 2, no. 8662, pp. 570–572, 1989.
- D. M. Thompson, M. Meloche, Z. Ao et al., “Reduced progression of diabetic microvascular complications with islet cell transplantation compared with intensive medical therapy,” Transplantation, vol. 91, no. 3, pp. 373–378, 2011.
- M. A. Fung, G. L. Warnock, Z. Ao et al., “The effect of medical therapy and islet cell transplantation on diabetic nephropathy: an interim report,” Transplantation, vol. 84, no. 1, pp. 17–22, 2007.
- A. M. J. Shapiro, J. R. T. Lakey, E. A. Ryan et al., “Islet transplantation in seven patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus using a glucocorticoid-free immunosuppressive regimen,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 343, no. 4, pp. 230–238, 2000.
- G. L. Warnock, Y. H. T. Liao, X. Wang et al., “An odyssey of islet transplantation for therapy of type 1 diabetes,” World Journal of Surgery, vol. 31, no. 8, pp. 1569–1576, 2007.
- J. D. Johnson, Z. Ao, P. Ao et al., “Different effects of FK506, rapamycin, and mycophenolate mofetil on glucose-stimulated insulin release and apoptosis in human islets,” Cell Transplantation, vol. 18, no. 8, pp. 833–845, 2009.
- D. M. Thompson, I. S. Begg, C. Harris et al., “Reduced progression of diabetic retinopathy after islet cell transplantation compared with intensive medical therapy,” Transplantation, vol. 85, no. 10, pp. 1400–1405, 2008.
- G. L. Warnock, R. M. Meloche, D. Thompson et al., “Improved human pancreatic islet isolation for a prospective cohort study of islet transplantation vs best medical therapy in type 1 diabetes mellitus,” Archives of Surgery, vol. 140, no. 8, pp. 735–744, 2005.
- O. Cabrera, D. M. Berman, N. S. Kenyon, C. Ricordi, P. O. Berggren, and A. Caicedo, “The unique cytoarchitecture of human pancreatic islets has implications for islet cell function,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 103, no. 7, pp. 2334–2339, 2006.
- A. E. Butler, J. Janson, S. Bonner-Weir, R. Ritzel, R. A. Rizza, and P. C. Butler, “β-cell deficit and increased β-cell apoptosis in humans with type 2 diabetes,” Diabetes, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 102–110, 2003.
- A. E. Butler, L. Cao-Minh, R. Galasso et al., “Adaptive changes in pancreatic β cell fractional area and β cell turnover in human pregnancy,” Diabetologia, vol. 53, no. 10, pp. 2167–2176, 2010.
- M. Peshavaria, B. L. Larmie, J. Lausier et al., “Regulation of pancreatic β-cell regeneration in the normoglycemic 60% partial-pancreatectomy mouse,” Diabetes, vol. 55, no. 12, pp. 3289–3298, 2006.
- S. Thyssen, E. Arany, and D. J. Hill, “Ontogeny of regeneration of β-cells in the neonatal rat after treatment with streptozotocin,” Endocrinology, vol. 147, no. 5, pp. 2346–2356, 2006.
- S. Karumbayaram, B. G. Novitch, M. Patterson et al., “Directed differentiation of human-induced pluripotent stem cells generates active motor neurons,” Stem Cells, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 806–811, 2009.
- E. Kroon, L. A. Martinson, K. Kadoya et al., “Pancreatic endoderm derived from human embryonic stem cells generates glucose-responsive insulin-secreting cells in vivo,” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 443–452, 2008.
- S. Chen, M. Borowiak, J. L. Fox et al., “A small molecule that directs differentiation of human ESCs into the pancreatic lineage,” Nature Chemical Biology, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 258–265, 2009.
- Z. Alipio, W. Liao, E. J. Roemer et al., “Reversal of hyperglycemia in diabetic mouse models using induced-pluripotent stem (iPS)-derived pancreatic β-like cells,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 107, no. 30, pp. 13426–13431, 2010.
- L. Yang, S. Li, H. Hatch et al., “In vitro trans-differentiation of adult hepatic stem cells into pancreatic endocrine hormone-producing cells,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 99, no. 12, pp. 8078–8083, 2002.
- T. Sapir, K. Shternhall, I. Meivar-Levy et al., “Cell-replacement therapy for diabetes: generating functional insulin-producing tissue from adult human liver cells,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 102, no. 22, pp. 7964–7969, 2005.
- L. Baeyens, S. de Breuck, J. Lardon, J. K. Mfopou, I. Rooman, and L. Bouwens, “In vitro generation of insulin-producing β cells from adult exocrine pancreatic cells,” Diabetologia, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 49–57, 2005.
- Q. Zhou, J. Brown, A. Kanarek, J. Rajagopal, and D. A. Melton, “In vivo reprogramming of adult pancreatic exocrine cells to β-cells,” Nature, vol. 455, no. 7213, pp. 627–632, 2008.
- K. Minami, M. Okuno, K. Miyawaki et al., “Lineage tracing and characterization of insulin-secreting cells generated from adult pancreatic acinar cells,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 102, no. 42, pp. 15116–15121, 2005.
- M. Solar, C. Cardalda, I. Houbracken et al., “Pancreatic exocrine duct cells give rise to insulin-producing β cells during embryogenesis but not after birth,” Developmental Cell, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 849–860, 2009.
- Y. P. Yang, F. Thorel, D. F. Boyer, P. L. Herrera, and C. V. Wright, “Context-specific alpha- to-β-cell reprogramming by forced Pdx1 expression,” Genes and Development, vol. 25, no. 16, pp. 1680–1685, 2011.
- F. Thorel, V. Nepote, I. Avril, et al., “Conversion of adult pancreatic α-cells to β-cells after extreme β-cell loss,” Nature, vol. 464, no. 7292, pp. 1149–1154, 2010.
- C. H. Chung, E. Hao, R. Piran, E. Keinan, and F. Levine, “Pancreatic β-cell neogenesis by direct conversion from mature α-cells,” Stem Cells, vol. 28, no. 9, pp. 1630–1638, 2010.
- E. Szabo, S. Rampalli, R. M. Risueno et al., “Direct conversion of human fibroblasts to multilineage blood progenitors,” Nature, vol. 468, no. 7323, pp. 521–526, 2010.
- T. Vierbuchen, A. Ostermeier, Z. P. Pang, Y. Kokubu, T. C. Sudhof, and M. Wernig, “Direct conversion of fibroblasts to functional neurons by defined factors,” Nature, vol. 463, no. 7284, pp. 1035–1041, 2010.
- M. Ieda, J. D. Fu, P. Delgado-Olguin et al., “Direct reprogramming of fibroblasts into functional cardiomyocytes by defined factors,” Cell, vol. 142, no. 3, pp. 375–386, 2010.
- K. Tateishi, J. He, O. Taranova, G. Liang, A. C. D'Alessio, and Y. Zhang, “Generation of insulin-secreting islet-like clusters from human skin fibroblasts,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 283, no. 46, pp. 31601–31607, 2008.
- J. Jonsson, L. Carlsson, T. Edlund, and H. Edlund, “Insulin-promoter-factor 1 is required for pancreas development in mice,” Nature, vol. 371, no. 6498, pp. 606–609, 1994.
- M. F. Offield, T. L. Jetton, P. A. Labosky et al., “PDX-1 is required for pancreatic outgrowth and differentiation of the rostral duodenum,” Development, vol. 122, no. 3, pp. 983–995, 1996.
- D. A. Stoffers, J. Ferrer, W. L. Clarke, and J. F. Habener, “Early-onset type-II diabetes mellitus (MODY4) linked to IPF1,” Nature Genetics, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 138–139, 1997.
- G. Gradwohl, A. Dierich, M. LeMeur, and F. Guillemot, “Neurogenin3 is required for the development of the four endocrine cell lineages of the pancreas,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 97, no. 4, pp. 1607–1611, 2000.
- J. M. Oliver-Krasinski and D. A. Stoffers, “On the origin of the β cell,” Genes and Development, vol. 22, no. 15, pp. 1998–2021, 2008.
- G. Gu, J. Dubauskaite, and D. A. Melton, “Direct evidence for the pancreatic lineage: NGN3+ cells are islet progenitors and are distinct from duct progenitors,” Development, vol. 129, no. 10, pp. 2447–2457, 2002.
- X. Xu, J. D'Hoker, G. Stange et al., “β Cells can be generated from endogenous progenitors in injured adult mouse pancreas,” Cell, vol. 132, no. 2, pp. 197–207, 2008.
- F. J. Naya, H. P. Huang, Y. Qiu et al., “Diabetes, defective pancreatic morphogenesis, and abnormal enteroendocrine differentiation in BETA2/NeuroD-deficient mice,” Genes and Development, vol. 11, no. 18, pp. 2323–2334, 1997.
- B. Sosa-Pineda, K. Chowdhury, M. Torres, G. Oliver, and P. Gruss, “The Pax4 gene is essential for differentiation of insulin-producing β cells in the mammalian pancreas,” Nature, vol. 386, no. 6623, pp. 399–402, 1997.
- L. St-Onge, B. Sosa-Pineda, K. Chowdhury, A. Mansouri, and P. Gruss, “Pax6 is required for differentiation of glucagon-producing α-cells in mouse pancreas,” Nature, vol. 387, no. 6631, pp. 406–409, 1997.
- P. Collombat, A. Mansouri, J. Hecksher-Sorensen et al., “Opposing actions of Arx and Pax4 in endocrine pancreas development,” Genes and Development, vol. 17, no. 20, pp. 2591–2603, 2003.
- P. Collombat, J. Hecksher-Sorensen, J. Krull et al., “Embryonic endocrine pancreas and mature β cells acquire α and PP cell phenotypes upon Arx misexpression,” The Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 117, no. 4, pp. 961–970, 2007.
- M. A. Hussain, C. P. Miller, and J. F. Habener, “Brn-4 transcription factor expression targeted to the early developing mouse pancreas induces ectopic glucagon gene expression in insulin-producing β cells,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 277, no. 18, pp. 16028–16032, 2002.
- R. S. Heller, D. A. Stoffers, A. Liu et al., “The role of Brn4/Pou3f4 and Pax6 in forming the pancreatic glucagon cell identity,” Developmental Biology, vol. 268, no. 1, pp. 123–134, 2004.
- M. Sander, L. Sussel, J. Conners, et al., “Homeobox gene Nkx6.1 lies downstream of Nkx2.2 in the major pathway of β-cell formation in the pancreas,” Development, vol. 127, no. 24, pp. 5533–5540, 2000.
- L. Sussel, J. Kalamaras, D. J. Hartigan-O'Connor et al., “Mice lacking the homeodomain transcription factor Nkx2.2 have diabetes due to arrested differentiation of pancreatic β cells,” Development, vol. 125, no. 12, pp. 2213–2221, 1998.
- C. Zhang, T. Moriguchi, M. Kajihara et al., “MafA is a key regulator of glucose-stimulated insulin secretion,” Molecular and Cellular Biology, vol. 25, no. 12, pp. 4969–4976, 2005.
- I. Artner, B. Blanchi, J. C. Raum et al., “MafB is required for islet β cell maturation,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 104, no. 10, pp. 3853–3858, 2007.
- W. C. Li, J. M. Rukstalis, W. Nishimura et al., “Activation of pancreatic-duct-derived progenitor cells during pancreas regeneration in adult rats,” Journal of Cell Science, vol. 123, part 16, pp. 2792–2802, 2010.
- K. Takahashi and S. Yamanaka, “Induction of pluripotent stem cells from mouse embryonic and adult fibroblast cultures by defined factors,” Cell, vol. 126, no. 4, pp. 663–676, 2006.
- K. Okita, M. Nakagawa, H. Hyenjong, T. Ichisaka, and S. Yamanaka, “Generation of mouse induced pluripotent stem cells without viral vectors,” Science, vol. 322, no. 5903, pp. 949–953, 2008.
- H. Zhou, S. Wu, J. Y. Joo et al., “Generation of of induced pluripotent stem cells using recombinant proteins,” Cell Stem Cell, vol. 4, no. 5, pp. 381–384, 2009.
- L. Warren, P. D. Manos, T. Ahfeldt et al., “Highly efficient reprogramming to pluripotency and directed differentiation of human cells with synthetic modified mRNA,” Cell Stem Cell, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 618–630, 2010.