- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Endocrinology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 687867, 6 pages
Factors Associated with the Decline of Kidney Function Differ among eGFR Strata in Subjects with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus
1Nephrology, Endocrinology and Metabolism Division, Department of Internal Medicine, School of Medicine, Keio University, Tokyo 160-8582, Japan
2Department of Internal Medicine, Saiseikai Central Hospital, Tokyo 108-0073, Japan
Received 24 August 2012; Revised 30 November 2012; Accepted 30 November 2012
Academic Editor: Peter Rossing
Copyright © 2012 Shu Meguro et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. Ritz and S. R. Orth, “Nephropathy in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 341, no. 15, pp. 1127–1133, 1999.
- T. Ninomiya, V. Perkovic, B. E. de Galan et al., “Albuminuria and kidney function independently predict cardiovascular and renal outcomes in diabetes,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 20, no. 8, pp. 1813–1821, 2009.
- S. Meguro, T. Shigihara, Y. Kabeya, M. Tomita, and Y. Atsumi, “Increased risk of renal deterioration associated with low e-GFR in type 2 diabetes mellitus only in albuminuric subjects,” Internal Medicine, vol. 48, no. 9, pp. 657–663, 2009.
- R. A. Hoefield, P. A. Kalra, P. G. Baker et al., “The use of eGFR and ACR to predict decline in renal function in people with diabetes,” Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 887–892, 2011.
- E. Ishimura, Y. Nishizawa, S. Okuno et al., “Diabetes mellitus increases the severity of anemia in non-dialyzed patients with renal failure,” Journal of Nephrology, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 83–86, 1998.
- D. R. Bosman, A. S. Winkler, J. T. Marsden, I. C. Macdougall, and P. J. Watkins, “Anemia with erythropoietin deficiency occurs early in diabetic nephropathy,” Diabetes Care, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 495–499, 2001.
- M. C. Thomas, M. E. Cooper, K. Rossing, and H. H. Parving, “Anaemia in diabetes: is there a rationale to TREAT?” Diabetologia, vol. 49, no. 6, pp. 1151–1157, 2006.
- W. F. Keane and P. A. Lyle, “Recent advances in management of type 2 diabetes and nephropathy: lessons from the RENAAL study,” American Journal of Kidney Diseases, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. S22–S25, 2003.
- K. Rossing, P. K. Christensen, P. Hovind, L. Tarnow, P. Rossing, and H. H. Parving, “Progression of nephropathy in type 2 diabetic patients,” Kidney International, vol. 66, no. 4, pp. 1596–1605, 2004.
- T. Babazono, K. Hanai, K. Suzuki et al., “Lower haemoglobin level and subsequent decline in kidney function in type 2 diabetic adults without clinical albuminuria,” Diabetologia, vol. 49, no. 6, pp. 1387–1393, 2006.
- A. Kashiwagi, M. Kasuga, E. Araki, et al., “International clinical harmonization of glycated hemoglobin in Japan: from Japan Diabetes Society to National Glycohemoglobin Standardization Program values,” Diabetology International, vol. 3, pp. 8–10, 2012.
- S. Matsuo, E. Imai, M. Horio et al., “Revised equations for estimated GFR from serum creatinine in Japan,” American Journal of Kidney Diseases, vol. 53, no. 6, pp. 982–992, 2009.
- P. Ruggenenti, E. L. Porrini, F. Gaspari, et al., “Glomerular hyperfiltration and renal disease progression in type 2 diabetes,” Diabetes Care, vol. 35, no. 10, pp. 2061–2068, 2012.
- H. Yokoyama, S. Kanno, S. Takahashi, et al., “Risks for glomerular filtration rate decline in association with progression of albuminuria in type 2 diabetes,” Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, vol. 26, no. 9, pp. 2924–2930, 2011.
- M. C. Thomas, W. C. Burns, and M. E. Cooper, “Tubular changes in early diabetic nephropathy,” Advances in Chronic Kidney Disease, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 177–186, 2005.
- D. K. Singh, P. Winocour, and K. Farrington, “Mechanisms of disease: the hypoxic tubular hypothesis of diabetic nephropathy,” Nature Clinical Practice Nephrology, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 216–226, 2008.