- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Endocrinology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 747460, 6 pages
The Association of Depression and the Cardiovascular Risk Factors of Blood Pressure, HbA1c, and Body Mass Index among Patients with Diabetes: Results from the Translating Research into Action for Diabetes Study
1Department of Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, 10940 Wilshire Boulevard, Suite 700, Los Angeles, CA 90025, USA
2Department of Health Policy and Management, Jonathan and Karin Fielding School of Public Health, UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Received 4 August 2012; Revised 9 October 2012; Accepted 17 October 2012
Academic Editor: Evan Atlantis
Copyright © 2012 Lindsay B. Kimbro et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- O. Gonzalez, J. T. Berry, L. R. McKnight-Eily et al., “Current depression among adults—United States, 2006 and 2008,” Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, vol. 59, no. 38, pp. 1229–1235, 2010.
- D. P. Chapman, G. S. Perry, and T. W. Strine, “The vital link between chronic disease and depressive disorders,” Preventing Chronic Disease, vol. 2, no. 1, 2005.
- D. L. Musselman, D. L. Evans, and C. B. Nemeroff, “The relationship of depression to cardiovascular disease: epidemiology, biology, and treatment,” Archives of General Psychiatry, vol. 55, no. 7, pp. 580–592, 1998.
- E. Atlantis, K. Lange, R. D. Goldney et al., “Specific medical conditions associated with clinically significant depressive symptoms in men,” Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology, vol. 46, no. 12, pp. 1303–1312, 2011.
- S. E. Moss, R. Klein, and B. E. K. Klein, “Cause-specific mortality in a population-based study of diabetes,” American Journal of Public Health, vol. 81, no. 9, pp. 1158–1162, 1991.
- L. N. McEwen, C. Kim, M. Haan et al., “Diabetes reporting as a cause of death: results from the translating research into action for diabetes (TRIAD) study,” Diabetes Care, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 247–253, 2006.
- R. J. Anderson, K. E. Freedland, R. E. Clouse, and P. J. Lustman, “The prevalence of comorbid depression in adults with diabetes: a meta-analysis,” Diabetes Care, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 1069–1078, 2001.
- C. M. M. Licht, E. J. C. D. Geus, A. Seldenrijk et al., “Depression is associated with decreased blood pressure, but antidepressant use increases the risk for hypertension,” Hypertension, vol. 53, no. 4, pp. 631–638, 2009.
- B. Hildrum, A. Mykletun, J. Holmen, and A. A. Dahl, “Effect of anxiety and depression on blood pressure: 11-Year longitudinal population study,” The British Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 193, no. 2, pp. 108–113, 2008.
- H. Nabi, J. F. Chastang, T. Lefèvre et al., “Trajectories of depressive episodes and hypertension over 24 years: the whitehall ii prospective cohort study,” Hypertension, vol. 57, no. 4, pp. 710–716, 2011.
- M. Papelbaum, R. O. Moreira, W. Coutinho et al., “Depression, glycemic control and type 2 diabetes,” Diabetology & Metabolic Syndrome, vol. 3, no. 1, p. 26, 2011.
- W. P. Sacco and C. A. Bykowski, “Depression and hemoglobin A1c in type 1 and type 2 diabetes: the role of self-efficacy,” Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice, vol. 90, no. 2, pp. 141–146, 2010.
- R. R. Rubin, S. A. Gaussoin, M. Peyrot et al., “Cardiovascular disease risk factors, depression symptoms and antidepressant medicine use in the Look AHEAD (Action for Health in Diabetes) clinical trial of weight loss in diabetes,” Diabetologia, vol. 53, no. 8, pp. 1581–1589, 2010.
- P. J. Lustman and R. E. Clouse, “Treatment of depression in diabetes: impact on mood and medical outcome,” Journal of Psychosomatic Research, vol. 53, no. 4, pp. 917–924, 2002.
- C. Gois, V. V. Dias, I. Carmo et al., “Treatment response in type 2 diabetes patients with major depression,” Clinical Psychology and Psychotherapy. In press.
- D. Echeverry, P. Duran, C. Bonds, M. Lee, and M. B. Davidson, “Effect of pharmacological treatment of depression on A1C and quality of life in low-income hispanics and African Americans with diabetes: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial,” Diabetes Care, vol. 32, no. 12, pp. 2156–2160, 2009.
- W. Katon, M. Von Korff, P. Ciechanowski et al., “Behavioral and clinical factors associated with depression among individuals with diabetes,” Diabetes Care, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 914–920, 2004.
- D. G. Blazer, S. Moody-Ayers, J. Craft-Morgan, and B. Burchett, “Depression in diabetes and obesity: racial/ethnic/gender issues in older adults,” Journal of Psychosomatic Research, vol. 53, no. 4, pp. 913–916, 2002.
- E. W. Gregg, “The Translating Research Into Action For Diabetes (TRIAD) study: a multicenter study of diabetes in managed care,” Diabetes Care, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 386–389, 2002.
- K. Kroenke, T. W. Strine, R. L. Spitzer, J. B. W. Williams, J. T. Berry, and A. H. Mokdad, “The PHQ-8 as a measure of current depression in the general population,” Journal of Affective Disorders, vol. 114, no. 1–3, pp. 163–173, 2009.
- S. Paterniti, M. H. Verdier-Taillefer, C. Geneste, J. C. Bisserbe, and A. Alpérovitch, “Low blood pressure and risk of depression in the elderly. A prospective community-based study,” The British Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 176, pp. 464–467, 2000.
- J. Profant and J. E. Dimsdale, “Race and diurnal blood pressure patterns: a review and meta-analysis,” Hypertension, vol. 33, no. 5, pp. 1099–1104, 1999.
- E. H. B. Lin, W. Katon, M. Von Korff et al., “Relationship of depression and diabetes self-care, medication adherence, and preventive care,” Diabetes Care, vol. 27, no. 9, pp. 2154–2160, 2004.
- F. S. Luppino, L. M. De Wit, P. F. Bouvy et al., “Overweight, obesity, and depression: a systematic review and meta-analysis of longitudinal studies,” Archives of General Psychiatry, vol. 67, no. 3, pp. 220–229, 2010.
- E. H. B. Lin, C. M. Rutter, W. Katon et al., “Depression and advanced complications of diabetes: a prospective cohort study,” Diabetes Care, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 264–269, 2010.